PDA

View Full Version : Questions about "bore lapping".

Rainbow Six
March 28, 2000, 09:35 PM
Under what circumstances would this process be "needed"? Should it only be done on used rifles or can a new rifle/pistol benefit from it? I'd like opinions and feedback from some 'smiths that have experience with this process please.

Thanks in advance,

------------------
Watch your six...

R6

George Stringer
March 28, 2000, 11:24 PM
Rainbow, bore lapping is done to smooth rough spots in the bore. If you have a bore that is lightly pitted lapping can smooth it out. It would work as well for handguns although you may not see as dramatic a result. I'm not talking about Fire Lapping, but hand lapping. The problem is that the lands and grooves must be lapped to near twice the depth of the deepest pit or scratch and this can hurt accuracy. The best scenario is a rifle barrel that is purposely bored undersize then lapped to the correct diameter. These are the best barrels. George

Rainbow Six
March 29, 2000, 07:55 AM
Ok, that makes sense. Thank you sir, I appreciate your help. :)

------------------
Watch your six...

R6

Rainbow Six
March 29, 2000, 07:13 PM
BTW, what is the difference in hand lapping and bore lapping? How is each done?

------------------
Cover your six...

R6

George Stringer
March 29, 2000, 10:58 PM
RB6, they're the same. I think you mean fire lapping. Hand lapping is done slowly by hand using a lap made in the barrel from lead and a lapping compound. Fire lapping is done with kits that come with lapping compound and slugs that you load and shoot through the barrel. Both are essentially for the same purpose which is making the bore as smooth as possible which keeps it from fouling as quickly and makes it easier to clean. George

Rainbow Six
March 30, 2000, 12:39 AM
You're right, I meant hand lapping and fire lapping. Can't type and think at the same time. http://216.157.75.35/thefiringline/NonCGI/redface.gif

Thanks again for your help.

------------------
Cover your six...

R6

B9mmHP
March 30, 2000, 03:59 PM
George Stringer: Or any one, Another question on bore lapping. My neighbor gave me a Norinco M14. He said it had a chrome lined barrel?? If so will hand lapping remove to much chrome? If it is Chrome lined. PS: I personaly don`t buy any thing made in China, especialy with past realease by Slick of our most top secret militery secrets.

[This message has been edited by B9mmHP (edited March 30, 2000).]

George Stringer
March 30, 2000, 08:25 PM
B9mmHP, it depends on how much it takes to get the bore smooth. The more you have to lap the more interior surface is removed. George