PDA

View Full Version : Sig Pro?

cookand
January 19, 2006, 12:50 PM
Any one here have any personnel experience with this gun? I have done some searching and have read pretty much all positive reviews, but was just seeing if anyone here had any experience.

LH2
January 19, 2006, 02:35 PM
I nearly bought one, but decided to think it over and never went back for the gun. I just couldn't get real excited about it.

Naysayers will tell you it's not a real Sig and the alloy-framed models are somehow 'better' but I think the SigPros are a terrific value, just not a big seller at all. Everybody who has one loves it, but some who have shot both do prefer the original P2XX Sigs.

For a polymer-framed pistol it feels very solid, less 'plastic-y' than other polymer guns.

I searched the web and read the same stuff you probably have - side by side tests with alloy framed Sigs that showed the Pro was just as reliable, recoiled a bit less, and was super-accurate. The biggest advantage is the cost, they can be found new for $450 in 9mm, especially the older P2009 without the Picatinny rail.

I think the problem the SigPro line has is, die-hard Sig fans prefer the alloy-framed models, and polymer-framed pistol fans prefer the HK's, XD's, Glocks and P99's. I think alot of that is marketing, Sig doesn't push the SigPro much.

Also, for similar money you can get a certified pre-owned P2XX Sig that's been factory reconditioned. Some people would rather go that route.

I think it's an underrated and underappreciated gun in a really competitive market segment. If you like it, go for it! :)

cookand
January 19, 2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the info LH2! I'm not in a great hurry to get another gun, but I get a itch and want something now! But I also don't want to screw up either.

gc70
January 19, 2006, 07:06 PM
I'm a die-hard Sig Classic fan (P226 ST and P228). My son is a plastic-gun fan (Glock) who slowly gravitated to my Sigs. Then he discovered Sig Pros and it was a combination made in heaven - high quality and reliability coupled with low cost. I even like his 2009... a lot. It has an incredible double-action trigger.

Seven High
January 19, 2006, 07:48 PM
I own a Sig Pro 2340. It is a great weapon. It is as good as the classic ones. It is a full size weapon, along the 226 size. It has a different type take down than the classic line. It takes some getting used to. I suggest you try to rent or borrow one and try it out.

DeltaWhiskey
January 19, 2006, 08:02 PM
I have a Sig Pro 2009 and it is hands down one of the most accuarate pistols I have ever shot. It has been completely reliable with factory ammo (mine is a little picky with handloads) and is a hoot to shoot. It's been one of my better pistol buys through the years and I heartily recommend it.

rickmelear
January 21, 2006, 03:38 PM
I have a 2340 as well. It's an awesome gun, as accurate as my USPF.40, soft recoil and typical Sig reliability. I think it's the best bargain out there. I paid $399 for mine at a gun show this summer. If it fits your hand go for it.

SouthpawShootr
January 22, 2006, 09:53 AM
I have 2. First was a SigPro 2009 (9mm). Got it when they first came out for $400 NIB. Took about two trips to the range to get it to run reliabilty (total: about 400 rounds). Neither of my Sig classics needed a breakin. I feel this is attributable to 2 things. First, the gun needed a breakin (my Glocks have spoiled me). Second, both the gun and the mags needed a good cleaning. They weren't dirty, but Sig uses some kind of sticky preservative, especially on the mags. Once the mags had been clean (after the second range trip) no more problems. My 2340 is a CPO that I've not fired yet. I wouldn't hessitate to carry either and consider this design to be one of the best buys in handguns today.

3CI
January 22, 2006, 11:49 AM
I bought a Sig 2022 (.357 sig) because the deal was right and the pistol looked interesting. I am a big Sig fan (own several all metal models) and figured if Sigarms made a polymer gun, it would be a good one.

I took the pistol to the range and found it was great. In fact, I now wonder why more people haven't starting buying them. The trigger was excellent, as good as my 220 or 226. Reliability was perfect. Yes, I did give the pistol a light cleaning before shooting it, but I always do that. Accuracy was right on and the learning curve for the new pistol was minimal.

For the money, you just can't beat the combination of quality and usability of the 2022. I have not shot other polymer Sigs, but I suspect they will be similar.