PDA

View Full Version : I don't like my Ruger P94

January 17, 2006, 06:26 PM
Hello, I bought a Ruger P94 over the summer and still cannot get a liking to it. The recoil from it is somewhat "clunky", it feels as if a Mack tuck is backing up up everytime I shoot it. It isn't a harsh recoil, just one that I can't become accustomed to (I'm not a girly man, I love recoil!). I am not bashing on Ruger, as I have three others that I love dearly, including a Vaquero in .44 mag, but I just don't think that this gun is for me. What I am asking is for reccomendations of what to trade for. I have large hands, but do not like fat guns. I want another 9mm but just a little thinner in the grip than the above mentioned. A friend of mine is a Fugitive Recovery Agent and carries a .45 Ruger P97DC, and after holding it, I liked the width of it, so something in that size would be great. I have looked in the CDNN catalog and have considered the SW 5906, any comments? I want full size, maybe even single stack, exposed hammer, a plastic gun may suffice, if it is thinner. My main beefs with the gun are the thickness and the trigger. I want a good trigger and a thinner body. I could care less about high capacity, 8 rounds is fine with me.

Thanks for any help,

Thoughts on the 5906?

trigger happy
January 17, 2006, 06:31 PM
those used S&W pistols in CDNN are available in some extremely tempting prices

azredhawk44
January 17, 2006, 06:44 PM
If you want a good trigger, exposed hammer, then you want a SA only or DA/SA pistol. Add to that a thin grip requirement and we have:

any 1911.
Maybe a sig P229, P239, just about any Sig.
Browning Hi-Power.
Your friend's Ruger (I love ruger wheelguns, but hate their autos).
HK.

HK and Sig are both very pricey. Rumor has it they are worth it though. I personally don't know.

I'd look at the BHP or a Sig in your shoes, but I would add Springfield's milspec 1911 and XD series to my list (striker instead of hammer, but nice trigger).

JDG
January 17, 2006, 07:43 PM
I too love rugers, but my next gun will be a CZ75B 9mm. All the ruger 9mm are fat gripped, but my P345 is nice and trim!

January 17, 2006, 08:31 PM
in terms of being thinner?

jonathon
January 17, 2006, 08:36 PM
I don't know that the 5906 is thinner..

But the grip is quite nice for both myself with large hands and friends with small hands. It's not much wider than a Hi-Power - if it is wider.

January 17, 2006, 08:42 PM
What about the trigger? I personally prefer around 2-5 lbs. and crisp with no take up. Is this my gun?

I have never fired one myself.

Mark54g
January 17, 2006, 09:47 PM
I second the CZ 75B (or SP-01) the P-01 or PCR are compacts, but not small by any means, and may fit the bill. They hold 14rds in compact and 16 in the full size.

timothy75
January 17, 2006, 09:51 PM
A S&W 910 or Ruger 345 might work for you.

January 17, 2006, 10:02 PM
My main concerns are the trigger pull and the grip. I want the grip (handle, mag well, or what ever one might call it) ti be noticeably thinner than the Ruger P94. Also, a smooth, crisp trigger is a must. Thanks for the help, keep it coming.

My interests for the P94's replacement (but not limited to).....

-SW 5906 (primary interest)
-CZ 75
-Maybe something plastic, but I'm old fashioned (metal guns, brown paper grocery bags, dirt roads, etc.)

Any single stack ideas? I really want something full size but thin like a single stack 1911. (9mm only)

Also, I would like to keep my trade-in difference to about $200. A friend of mine just got his FFL and opened a shop, so I can get a good deal.

Also, if someone can show pics of what they are reccomending that would be great. Not a factory photo, but one of the gun being held in the hand.

Thanks for all,

Juna
January 17, 2006, 10:15 PM
+1 on the CZ 75. You could get one of the compact variants if you want. They're hi-cap double stack, but the grip is surprisingly thin considering.