PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Kahr pistols?

Rapidrob
January 15, 2006, 06:17 PM
Hellow, I'm new here to this fourm. Not new to firearms, been collecting since 1964. I did a trade yesterday for a Kahr M9 pistol, older model, unfired in box. I have to admit that I'm not an expert on the Kahr pistols. The workmanship seems to be well done. The trigger pull is a little long for me, but liveable. What is the story on the Kahr pistols? When did they come to be? Do they have a good reputation for CCW? Thank you in advance for any information.

45SuperBob
January 15, 2006, 06:30 PM
The son of the Korean Moon minister guy started the company. Some people have had bad luck with Kahrs, other run like Glocks, I just broke my first one in today, a new PM9, and had no problems. It reminds me of a single stack Glock with a longer trigger, I like it alot and it is tiny for a 9mm.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/unif/Unif36.html

:popcorn

3CI
January 15, 2006, 06:58 PM
I have two PM9s and both of them are excellent shooters. The first 50 rounds when the gun is tight can result in failures to return to battery, but since then both of mine have run smoothly and have been shot a lot. I carry mine daily.

Rapidrob
January 15, 2006, 07:11 PM
The date on the Trijicon is 1997. I'm assuming that is the year the pistol was made also. I read the post on all of the bad maching the other fellows ended up with. Guess I got lucky with this pistol. I traded a surplus SKS rifle for it.

varoadking
January 15, 2006, 07:23 PM
Not interested...

Dfariswheel
January 15, 2006, 07:39 PM
Just remember, on the Internet and in the gun shop, the guns that have problems are the ones that get talked about.
You never seem to hear about the good ones that work.

The Kahr is one of todays top quality guns, and is rapidly becoming this generation's "Gold Standard" in a personal defense gun.

Kahr seems to have had more problems with the polymer frames P series guns and most complaints are about polymer guns.
The steel framed guns have an extremely good reputation and you almost never hear of a complaint.

Kahr mandates a 200 round break-in on their guns, but some people buy a Kahr, have a problem within the first hundred rounds or so, are soured on Kahr, and proceed to bad mouth them to all who'll listen.

The Kahr is good enough, that no less a conservative organization than the New York City police authorize it for off-duty carry.
Many other law enforcement agencies are now allowing the Kahr and it's getting a great reputation.

One poster on the gun forums says that his department's SWAT team tested the Kahr, and "attempted to break it".
When they couldn't, that department is now issuing the Kahr.

The point is, there are lemons made by ALL gun companies, and the company's repair service sometimes just screw up badly and don't get things resolved properly.

However, Kahr has a well-earned reputation as making one of the finest handguns in the world.

Gunz
January 15, 2006, 08:13 PM
I consider Kahr my favorite maker of tiny firearms.

I own all of their models. I have tested all of their models and have had zero problems with them. I use factory ammo and magazines, and they work well. Any problems with the guns, Dottie from custoemr service has made good on any parts.

I used to carry puny Makarovs, PPKs, SIG P230, and that genre. No more. All the P9, MK, PM, TP, and K series Kahrs have a place on my hip each day.

I have bought some wonderful deals from frustrated owners who bought the guns, did not clean them, did not proof fire them, and did not have patience to work the guns in.

I bought a P9 for $300, a K9 for $350, MK9 for $300, PM9 for $275, K40 for $325, Covert K40 for $275, and another P9 for $250. These guns run new between $550 and $625 easy.

All these prior owners became emotional and frustrated when they could not rack the slide, handle the twisting recoil of the 40 in a small short grip, used premium JHP ammo in an unlubed/uncleaned new gun at the range, failed to use FMJ during the break-in period, and failed to read the manual on disassembly procedures (which involves pulling the trigger and tapping out the tight pin with a dowel).

I watch them at the range. I hear them curse, rant and rave. I hear them curse the Koreans (sometimes mistakenly associated with Germans and even Chinese manufacture) and their products which are no better than a Hyundai. I see them fumble and mumble. Then I politely stroll up to them, ask the problem, and devilishly make an offer to take it off their hands.

I give cash 90% of the time. I then rush home, strip it, clean it, lube it, and run back to the range and fire away with zero malfunctions. I learned how to grip the thin frame. I know how to manage the reocil and muzzle rise. I giggle at the wonderful deal I just made.

I know. I am a shark. Gun addicts like me have no compassion when the consuming need to score a quick deal overcomes the senses. Not much different from a vampire who sees and smells blood.

heee hheee. I love Kahr gun deals. Watch out for me in the next lanes at the firing range. If you just bought a Kahr and hate it, I may just make you a quick deal to get it off your hands.........

orionengnr
January 15, 2006, 08:24 PM
...so far. A PM9, and it flat-out works. I just missed adding a bargain-basement P40 last week, and if the opportunity presents itself, I won't miss again.

A P40 or PM40, and maybe a P45 are in my future...

varoadking
January 15, 2006, 08:29 PM
I have bought some wonderful deals from frustrated owners who bought the guns, did not clean them, did not proof fire them

What the hell is proof fire?

JakeMate
January 15, 2006, 08:43 PM
Just bought a PM9. First 50 rounds were rough. Next 150 were very good. Shot 200 more and perfect. Great little gun.

kymasabe
January 15, 2006, 09:42 PM
A good friend had one, I forget which model. Was his carry gun so I'm guessing was probably a PM9 or MK9. ANyway, had a buch of problems with it. He said customer service took forever. The final straw was when the front sight fell off, returned it and got the gun back with the sight on backwards.

denfoote
January 15, 2006, 10:12 PM
This is my current carry gun: Kahr MK9 Elite 98.

http://usera.imagecave.com/denfoote/KahrMK-9.jpg

The MK9 was designed to fire 115gr 9mm +P+ ammunition loaded to 1300 fps.

The Elite trigger is smoother.

The accuracy is good.

I like it.

OldFart
January 16, 2006, 01:51 AM
I've purchased four of them: an E-9 (sold and upgraded to a K-9 Elite), PM9, and most recently a troubled MK40. Both the E-9 and MK40 had problems with an oversized slide stop.

A call to Kahr's excellent customer service department resulted in replacement parts (slide stop and spring) being sent out that day. In the case of the MK40, I got that for $350 looking NIB from someone who didn't know any better. Great shooting guns, all of them. the MK/PM guns are helped by the addition of Handall JR grips and Pearce grip extensions.

Denfoote: beautiful gun!

RsqVet
January 16, 2006, 06:16 AM
Well I am willing to go on record as a Kahr hater and with good reason and from personal experience. Specifically

1. I ordered this gun as I wanted a specific model – stainless MK9 with nite sights, gun comes through with one buggered grip screw and multiple burrs and chatter marks on the milled / machined surfaces as evidence of either a dull cutter or completely wrong speed and feed rate when being machined. Not impressive for a company that is supposed to be started as a spin of some state of the art CNC machine operation.
2. The gun did not work period. Had a FTF at liest once per mag with 4 different factory mags using quality ball ammo. This persisted well past their lame break in period and occurred with several brands of ammo, a different shooter, different grip styles and both dripping wet with lube and nearly bone dry and a few places in the middle. I also tried 2 different types of lube.
3. When I contacted Kahr they said just shoot it more --- this several hundred rounds after their break in period --- WRONG I was very detailed about my problems and what I had done so far with the gun, they were very unreceptive to any sort of help, just shoot the miserable things until it works.
4. So I have the gun shop send it back detailing all of the problems with it, including the buggered screw. I get the gun back with the ramp polished and the extractor replaced but not the grip screw and the gun is disgustingly dirty from test fire, guy at the shot was apologetic and embarrassed when we opened the box, I mean would it hurt them to hit it with a blast of gun scrubber? What better way to send an anti-customer message.
5. Gun still did not work. Period. After several hundred more rounds still could not make it work. I also noted that the barrel hood was starting to peen and there was a visible gap between it and the slide. I said forget it and got rid of it.
6. I would strongly agree with the idea that any gun or mechanical device for that matter may have a period of break in where parts are seating themselves and that with a gun specifically this may take a few 100 rounds so a problem or two in that time that goes away never to return is not a problem and easily attributed to this. This was not the case with the Kahr and their customer service’s first response was to try and hide behind this in my problems with the gun. My problem has not been the only one, and I am not the only one who has been told it’s ok shoot it more. I submit that the fact that Sig, Glock, HK, and many others can make guns that are 99.9% out of the box almost all the time as empirical evidence that this is possible and Kahr ought to know that and give a darn about their customer.

RsqVet
January 16, 2006, 06:16 AM
Well I am willing to go on record as a Kahr hater and with good reason and from personal experience. Specifically

1. I ordered this gun as I wanted a specific model – stainless MK9 with nite sights, gun comes through with one buggered grip screw and multiple burrs and chatter marks on the milled / machined surfaces as evidence of either a dull cutter or completely wrong speed and feed rate when being machined. Not impressive for a company that is supposed to be started as a spin of some state of the art CNC machine operation.
2. The gun did not work period. Had a FTF at liest once per mag with 4 different factory mags using quality ball ammo. This persisted well past their lame break in period and occurred with several brands of ammo, a different shooter, different grip styles and both dripping wet with lube and nearly bone dry and a few places in the middle. I also tried 2 different types of lube.
3. When I contacted Kahr they said just shoot it more --- this several hundred rounds after their break in period --- WRONG I was very detailed about my problems and what I had done so far with the gun, they were very unreceptive to any sort of help, just shoot the miserable things until it works.
4. So I have the gun shop send it back detailing all of the problems with it, including the buggered screw. I get the gun back with the ramp polished and the extractor replaced but not the grip screw and the gun is disgustingly dirty from test fire, guy at the shot was apologetic and embarrassed when we opened the box, I mean would it hurt them to hit it with a blast of gun scrubber? What better way to send an anti-customer message.
5. Gun still did not work. Period. After several hundred more rounds still could not make it work. I also noted that the barrel hood was starting to peen and there was a visible gap between it and the slide. I said forget it and got rid of it.
6. I would strongly agree with the idea that any gun or mechanical device for that matter may have a period of break in where parts are seating themselves and that with a gun specifically this may take a few 100 rounds so a problem or two in that time that goes away never to return is not a problem and easily attributed to this. This was not the case with the Kahr and their customer service’s first response was to try and hide behind this in my problems with the gun. My problem has not been the only one, and I am not the only one who has been told it’s ok shoot it more. I submit that the fact that Sig, Glock, HK, and many others can make guns that are 99.9% out of the box almost all the time as empirical evidence that this is possible and Kahr ought to know that and give a darn about their customer.

Rapidrob
November 9, 2019, 11:51 PM
I got the new in box K9 with Nigh Sights that went dead from age. The pistol had 20 rounds through it when put into the back of a safe. The owner said they did not like the recoil when fired.
The pistol is very high quality and shoots to the point of aim.
The pistol was made in '94 or early '95. The instructions do say to break the pistol in by firing 100 rounds. I have not seen this to be needed. The company also recommended certain brands of 9mm ammo to be used. So far other than huge mouth hollow points,I have found all ammo works well out of my pistol.
I have not replaced the dead tritium night sights and really don't care about them.
After owning the pistol now for 13 years, I have no complaints about the pistol.
I have read certain later model pistols with the polymer frames are not of the quality of the metal framed pistols. I cannot confirm this.

Bongo Boy
November 10, 2019, 12:07 AM
It is not everyday I see a thread that starts and 'ends' this way...with a 13 year lifespan in between...I'm glad things worked out! I have had a K40, which I find is a very serious handful and takes a good bit of ongoing practice to stay useful with. I'd stay the single biggest challenge for me is keeping the time lag down between presentation, target acquisition and having the gun go bang. That trigger takes getting used to, and again, lots of practice. As I expect would a double action revolver...little difference.

wild cat mccane
November 10, 2019, 12:13 AM
I'll put the amount of guns I currently own against anyone one on this forum.

Kahr failures are not just individuals not getting it.

I don't care for them (previously owned CW380, PM9, CM9, PM40)

PSP
November 10, 2019, 07:21 AM
The OP mentioned a M9 model. There is no M. Perhaps you mean K or MK.:confused:

Kahr has been around since the mid '80s. Focused on making guns for the concealed carry market. My Kahr experience has been a mixed bag. I've gone through eight. A couple of them simply never demonstrated acceptable reliability, even after much patience and many, many rounds. Mainly feed problems and one that had ejection problems.

Several have been very reliable. I still have a TP9, K9 and a fairly new S9. Another very reliable model was my first Kahr, an early "slab sided" carbon steel K9. I just didn't care for the standard trigger on that gun and later bought a K9 with the elite trigger.

Although my newer stainless K9 is very reliable and a good shooting pistol, it did break on me after several thousand rounds. The rear of the trigger bar sheared off rendering the gun useless. Though not under warranty Kahr did fix it for free absorbing both shipping and repair costs. Kudos.

I had a very reliable early P9 that I viewed as the almost perfect carry gun in performance, size, weight and accuracy. I traded it for a Walther PPS, a very similar gun. Missing the P9 is the reason I bought the S9.

The ones I moved along because they didn't function perfectly were a P45, TP45 and a CW9. I also sold a T9 for personal reason not related to the gun so much.

PatientWolf
November 10, 2019, 08:39 AM
I have a PM9 which has been very reliable and normally fills the role of EDC.

At one of the LGS’s the other day I saw they had a used P9 for about $350 that has me somewhat tempted, although I think the price is a little steep even with 4 mags and a kydex holster.

Bowdog
November 10, 2019, 10:14 AM
I have had a PM-9 for 11-12 years now. Never had a problem with it. I am guessing but maybe shot 1200-1500 rounds of mixed ammo ball, hollow points and aluminum case ammo. No problems. For me it is a great pocket or deep EDC gun.

precision_shooter
November 10, 2019, 10:18 AM
Had one, sold one.
Trigger is way too long of a pull and way too long to reset.
Would rather spend a little more for a single stack glock 42, 43, etc.

Carl the Floor Walker
November 10, 2019, 10:55 AM
Kahr was ahead of the game years ago. And they got it right. Years later and this little Micro 9 is still a top contender. And you will not find many as small and light. Great smooth, deliberate Striker fired DAO which IMO is Perfect for a small gun.
Absolutely love the Kahr Cm9, Simple, reliable, and shoot fantastic. Very mild shooters and build quality is excellent. Kahr does a great job! How much do I like the CM9? Just bought a second one. One for range and one for carry. A great video is a PM 9 going the distance to 40,000 rds.
Had the CW380 out last week and this gun runs like a sewing machine as well. Shot two boxes of ammo and shooting such great groups at 8 yards with rapid fire. Move to a box of ARX ammo I had and my gosh, a 10 year old could shoot this gun.

Plus 1 for the Kahr. And also a nice gun that you just want to hold in your hand a admire.

Auto5
November 10, 2019, 11:13 AM
My brother's CM9 cracked the magazine follower first time out. He returned to the shop and they gave him another magazine. Same thing happened with the second mag. The gun was shipped back to Kahr for repairs. He has had no problems since it was returned and swears by it now.

libiglou
November 10, 2019, 11:36 AM
I had a cw9. It was ok,reliable but accuracy was not up to my standards. Maybe it was me. Grew tired of it and gave to my bro in law. Was going to trade it in but resell value is horrible on these guns. NYPD went with glocks so there are a ton of them out there especially in the NY area. If you want one go used, great values are to be had.

Tactical Jackalope
November 10, 2019, 01:04 PM
They are extremely well made and filled a niche of single stack concealed carry guns in a time when they weren't really popular or sought after.

Fast forward to today and almost everyone (HK is doing it soon!) is making a micro 9mm.

So they're not that sought after even more so.

dyl
November 10, 2019, 01:21 PM
Not sure if you all caught this, the OP asks a question in 2006 having just traded for a K9 or MK9. Comes back 13 years later having had the pistol that long, and posts an answer to his own question :D

Tactical Jackalope
November 10, 2019, 01:24 PM
Not sure if you all caught this, the OP asks a question in 2006 having just traded for a K9 or MK9. Comes back 13 years later having had the pistol that long, and posts an answer to his own question

Bamboozled again! I blame Rapidrob.

HighValleyRanch
November 10, 2019, 01:36 PM
LOL, I missed that too. Oh well, my 2 cents worth I already typed!:D

This thread is worthless with pics!
I admit that I am a total fanboy of Kahr Arms.
I've owned a K40, beautiful workmanship and smooth as a swiss watch. Only hiccup was that the slide lock broke and the slide would lock back prematurely, but after installing a new one, it function flawlessly.

The next one was the PM9 in the photo. What's not to love about 8 rounds of 9mm in the pocket slimmer than an LCR and as light. Functioned perfectly from day one and easy to control and avery accurate.

Of course the trigger is what everyone complains about, long and no wall, but it's like the smoothest DA revolver pull I've ever felt, so I have no trouble with it.

The last one and my most favorite is the Kahr P45. It's so slim and compact and yet holds 7 rounds of .45 acp. Shoots like a dream with minimal .45 recoil, and I can shoot ragged holes all day with it! It did start to have some functioning problems, with light strikes and on the day that I had to qualify with it, it malfunctioned three times including one Type III malfunction double feed during a timed relay. But managed to do the drill and get back on target and shoot 100% with the last three rounds.

Found that there is a cleaning hole in the underside of the slide where you can use gun scrubber to blast out the striker channel to clean out all the gunk, and boy, did a bunch of black debris flush out. Now it is running flawlessly again with any type of ammo. But the tolerances are very tight, so you have to try the ammo out to make sure that the OAL is correct and timing is functioning. Love this pistol and it rides all day IWB
The PM9 and P45 are my EDC's.
I did smooth off the funky checkerboard rasp stuff on the front and back and straps and now the grip feels so good. I'm sure that the recoil control is much better because the grip is so slim that I can really grasp much tighter than I can with my glocks.

You will also notice that the Kahr is inserted with a MecGar Colt 6 round magazine that rides flush to the bottom of the Kahr grip. Most 1911 magazines work in the Kahr with none to some modifications. Slide lock is not always guaranteed on the last round, but a good trade off IMHO.

I thought about chopping the P45 to a PM 45 covert, but realized that I would not gain much between the chop job and the p45 with the flush magazine, maybe 1/4" max. So keeping it like stock.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=110299&stc=1&d=1573410135

veprdude
November 11, 2019, 12:58 AM
I used to carry a P9. Absolutely reliable. The main problem was that I could not shoot it very accurately because it was so narrow (Me not the gun). I also used to own a CW40. It jammed all the time. I replaced the recoil spring and it became reliable but has a ton of recoil and the same personal accuracy issues as the 9mm P9. Sold the CW40 and the P9 only comes out if my XDM-45 3.8 is too big to carry, which in the last 5 years is exactly once.

The older Kahrs seem to have been better as well as the higher trim levels. My dad had constant issues with a K40 or P40 and I don't know if that ever got resolved.

Would I buy another Kahr? No. Possibly better options out there and I don't shoot them well.

Charlie98
November 11, 2019, 09:20 AM
I think at last count I have 6 Kahr pistols... 3 CW9's, a CM9, a PM9, and a CW45. The 9's are my EDC and I trust my life to them. For the most part they have all been 100% reliable... right out of the box, no 200rd break-in, no nothing, load them up and go. The one exception was a P45 I bought used, it had what I believe to be a short chamber and had all sorts of FTFire issues... I traded it off for another CW9. I also had a CW9 that was 100% reliable, but it shot high left... unlike the others. It, too, is gone... replaced with... you got it... another CW9.

You can argue that a double-stack pistol has more firepower, but the Kahr is extremely slim and easy to pack... all the while being a full-sized pistol (CW9) or slightly compact (CM9, et al.) What that means is, I'm more likely to carry the pistol with me, in lieu of leaving it in the truck console... which is what I was doing with everything else I was carrying.

I bought my first CW9 used, from my FFL, as sort of an experiment. It was my first poly pistol, and I DIDN'T expect to like it... I figured I'd buy my first plastic gun, hate it, and move on... but I didn't. I fell in love with the thing. I've since had 2 friends buy them (and like them...) and have given them to my brother and my daugher.

After my first range trip...

https://i.imgur.com/hanUYSzm.jpg

veprdude
November 11, 2019, 10:25 AM
I think the CW series have exceptionally terrible triggers. The higher end models have nicer triggers and the milling work is more detailed. Sharp angles on the CW, smooth on the P/PM/K. I think they should all be equally reliable but the higher end ones have more "features".

Cheapshooter
November 11, 2019, 03:13 PM
My CM9 has been rock solid right out of the box. No need for the suggested break in, as it has been 100% reliable, and very accurate from the first round fired eight or nine years ago. Since then it has gotten a moderate amount of CCW use, and a hundred or so rounds worth of range time per year.

dyl
November 11, 2019, 05:54 PM
I think at last count I have 6 Kahr pistols... 3 CW9's, a CM9, a PM9, and a CW45.

Charlie98: If you have a CM9 and a PM9, which one ends up getting carried and what do you do with the other one? Ever notice any accuracy difference between the two?

Nick_C_S
November 11, 2019, 06:16 PM
I have a CW9. Bought it new for conceal carry in April '13. Got my permit in October '13 and have had a CCW ever since (in California - yes, it's possible). I carry it about 80% of the time I carry. (As a revolver guy, I tend to carry a 7-shot S&W 357 in the cool months when I can layer up for concealment.)

I've put about 1500 rounds or so through it. I don't shoot it a lot as it's my carry piece and want to keep it in good shape. (I shoot a lot of other guns.)

I bought it new. And since I have had it, it as never - never - failed to cycle. It has fed every single round. All of them. No exceptions. And that even includes lead semi-wadcutters (notoriously difficult to feed). It has been an extremely reliable gun.

The trigger is soft and smooth; but very long in pull. I like the long pull - some may not. It shoots straight and is very accurate by any reasonable standard. I even like the stock sights and have no need/desire to change them. Sighted straight from the box. At 10 yards, it shoots poa for 115's, and about 1.5 inches higher for 124's (my preferred weight).

My CW9 is a superb piece and I couldn't be more pleased with it. Nor do I have have any need or desire for any other semi-auto carry piece. I got it right the first time ;)

unclenunzie
November 11, 2019, 06:44 PM
1500 rounds you might be due a recoil assembly spring replacement.... At least that's what I did with my PM9 at that point when it had a couple feed fails, never happened again. Great gun.

Charlie98
November 13, 2019, 09:31 AM
Charlie98: If you have a CM9 and a PM9, which one ends up getting carried and what do you do with the other one? Ever notice any accuracy difference between the two?

Besides the bling of the PM9... the night sights, the black stainless slide, the forged parts... I can't really tell a difference between the two in a blind taste test. Seriously. The trigger on the PM9 is a little heavier than the CM... but has a smoother let-off. There is actually more shaping of the slide on the CM than the PM.

The one thing that helps the PM/CM is the magazine pinky extensions. My PM9 came with 2 of them. I've always thought magazine extensions were dumb on a micro pistol... they make the pistol grip as long as a standard CW9... so why not carry the CW? ...but, they help immensely on grip and rapid fire. I noted this when I swapped in a full-length CW magazines (which I carry as a reload since they fit any Kahr I happen to be carrying...) and that improved shooting utility, so it makes sense the pinky extension would as well, so they are the mags that are in the pistols now.

A lot of people complain about the Kahr trigger... but the trade-off being no safety for a longer, very smooth trigger pull? I'll take that everyday and twice on Sunday for a CCW pistol. I did have to work with it quite a bit to get where I'm confident with it for carry, and is one of the reasons I only carry a Kahr, now, with rare exception.

I rotate my carry pieces... that's why I have so many of them. It allows me to swap my pistol out each month... so I can clean and inspect, then range test each pistol at my leisure. I carry the PM and CM9's interchangeably.

Charlie98
November 13, 2019, 09:41 AM
I think the CW series have exceptionally terrible triggers. The higher end models have nicer triggers and the milling work is more detailed. Sharp angles on the CW, smooth on the P/PM/K. I think they should all be equally reliable but the higher end ones have more "features".

I was filling out the paperwork for a NIB CW9... the clerk just went to the back and picked one from a stack of them. As he was filling out the SN and such, I handled it... it had a defective trigger. You had to squish the trigger to the back of the frame to get it to fire... definitely defective. I made him give me a new one... which he was upset about, because we had to redo the paperwork... but tough. Like any manufacturer, lemons slip out once in a while.

In reality... looking at my PM9 and CM9 side by side... the CM slide has more machining than the PM slide does, and includes a beveled muzzle surface. The big benefit to the premium Kahrs (the 'P' models...) is the stainless slide and forged hardware.

HighValleyRanch
November 13, 2019, 02:11 PM
The big benefit to the premium Kahrs (the 'P' models...) is the stainless slide and forged hardware.

And the more round profile slide, the extra magazines and the lothar walther barrel.

Lohman446
November 13, 2019, 02:40 PM
The Kahr is one of todays top quality guns, and is rapidly becoming this generation's "Gold Standard" in a personal defense gun.

While I think the stories of individual Kahrs that have had problems go further than they should against the brands reputation I am highly skeptical of using the term "Gold Standard" in relation to Kahr.

I mean aside from a few notable exceptions of generally individual firearms does any major manufacturer today really produce a non-quality firearm that at least does what it is supposed to do at defensive distances?

Fishbed77
November 13, 2019, 04:56 PM
I've owned a CM9 for years (and still carry it occasionally) and have a good bit of experience with the MK9. Both are well made, are good shooters, and both have been extremely reliable. I don't recall ever having a malfunction in my CM9, and I've shot a few thousand rounds through it over the years.

There was a time not very long ago, when the Kahr pistols were pretty much the only game in town if you wanted an extremely thin and compact 9x19mm pistol that was also reliable. The current hotness is obviously the Glock-style semi-cocked trigger, but the Kahr's DAO trigger, while longer, is still a very nice trigger - light enough and very smooth. I also feel that it's safer for such a small defensive gun.

I would recommend however, that you avoid any of the Kahr extended magazines. The polymer baseplates are flimsy, and you run the risk of these magazines puking out rounds on the ground. Stick to the flush mags with steel baseplates instead.

7.62 man
November 13, 2019, 08:28 PM
I only own one it's a CT9 I won it in a raffle at the gun range meeting.
https://i.postimg.cc/Xqvck1TZ/Kahr-Arms-raffle-win.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
What's not to like it shoots good probably better than me.

Safestuffer
November 13, 2019, 11:57 PM
Polymer Kahrs are junk imo. After having three, all with issues, I won't own another polymer frame Kahr.
But,
I have an older K9 that I like very much. There is a night and day difference between their steel frame guns and their polymer frame guns, particularly their older steel frame guns.

Charlie98
November 14, 2019, 09:46 AM
The polymer baseplates are flimsy, and you run the risk of these magazines puking out rounds on the ground.

True that. Mine seem to hold well enough, but they need to redesign them a little for better service.

And the more round profile slide, the extra magazines and the lothar walther barrel.

As I mentioned... my CM9 has a more rounded slide than my PM9... but we are splitting hairs, here. I have not seen a significant difference in accuracy between my CM and PM, either... barrel quality not withstanding.

Charlie98
November 14, 2019, 09:56 AM
Pics of my PM9 (black slide) and my CM9...

https://i.imgur.com/uknNKa8m.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uU4Z5sYm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gdkxgSZm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RO0egqpm.jpg

Honestly, unless you just need the bling of the all black slide, or you must have nightsights... it's difficult to recommend the P over the C given the extra cost.

Jim Watson
November 14, 2019, 10:00 AM
I have an early E model that looks like it was chipped out of pig iron, but it shoots reliably and well. It did kick off the plastic front sight on the second outing but they replaced it with their compliments and it has stayed stuck ever since.
I have a CW from the NRA Banquet that has been fine all along. I gave it the 200 round break in but it was reliable from the start.

Pro: They are flat, an uncommon characteristic when they first came out, although other makers seem to be catching on.
The grip shape is comfortable in my hand and even the plastic CW is not an unpleasant kicker.
Con: The long DAO stroke is not really like a revolver and I find it a bit harder to hold.

Armybrat
November 14, 2019, 09:01 PM
PM9, CW45, CW9, and a CT380 here.
All nice quality pistols and good shooters with no problems.

Spats McGee
November 15, 2019, 05:30 AM
Bamboozled again! I blame Rapidrob.
I always try to shut down necro-threads pretty quickly, but sometimes they take off like this one did. Once they do that, and folks start posting reasonably useful information to them, I just let them run.

As for Kahr pistols, they're on my "I'd like to have one one day" list. I know some really gun-smart guys that swear by them, and as far as I can tell, they're pretty good pistols. I just don't have anything that I'd be willing to sell to get one.

stephen426
November 15, 2019, 11:12 AM
My first Kahr was a MK9 which was supposed to be all stainless. Why anyone would carry such a heavy gun for a 6+1 is beyond me. I know that it helps tame recoil, but it is uncomfortable. On top of that, It developed pit rusting on the slide from pocket carry, which is unacceptable. Maybe the MK9 Elite uses better stainless, but the MK9 never really made it into my carry rotation, especially since I had the Glock 26.

I bought and carried a PM9 for quite a few years when I switched from the Glock 26. It was a nice small package and it was reliable after the break in period. I even used it for my practical shooting club for a bit, but the long trigger was less than ideal for longer distance shots. I have been shooting for 25 years so, no, I'm not going to just get used to it. The Glock 43 has a better trigger stock, and a MUCH better trigger once it has been worked on (Agency Arms with Double Diamond connector). The aftermarket support for Glock is enormous compared to Kahr.

I believe that I only carried the Kahr one time after getting the Glock 43 and it is one of those NEVER AGAIN kind of experiences. I didn't have my Glock carry setup when Hurricane Irma hit South Florida. I carried my Kahr PM9 in the heat and humidity. I expected zero issues since it has a polymer frame and a blackened stainless slide. The internals are NOT RUST RESISTANT and they rusted on me to the point the the gun would not fire. You can call that abuse, but that would NEVER happen with Glocks. They have torture tested them in salt water for days without issue. In a poop hits the fan scenario, you don't have time to worry about your weapon. For me, Kahr failed the test and lost its place in my carry rotation. I cleaned it up and it works now, but it was a very uncomfortable feeling when I discovered that it was not functional.

The Glock 43 is head and shoulders above the PM9 and the new variants of Glock like the 43X should really take a lot of market share from Kahr. Those who live in humid, marine environments should avoid Kahr unless you can make sure to clean and oil your weapon regularly.

chemcal
November 15, 2019, 03:06 PM
Charlie98 said: "A lot of people complain about the Kahr trigger... but the trade-off being no safety for a longer, very smooth trigger pull? I'll take that everyday and twice on Sunday for a CCW pistol. I did have to work with it quite a bit to get where I'm confident with it for carry, and is one of the reasons I only carry a Kahr, now, with rare exception."

Agree, also, I really like my P250SC and wonder why it never took off.

fourbore
November 15, 2019, 05:08 PM
My opinion the M1 carbines and 1911 are the bottom rung of any options made in any country out there. Like anything else, the company has a following. The price is low. You take your chances. Are you going to bet your life on that or shoot tin cans and paper?