PDA

View Full Version : Rings question...what brand is your favorite?

MeekAndMild
January 13, 2006, 07:39 PM
Well this is actually 2 questions.

First question is what brand of rings is your favorite? Mine is Burris Signature rings.

Second question is does anybody know of any see through rings which are anywhere close to Burris Signatures in quality and adjustability? (I'm planning to rescope my 45-70 this spring and want to keep the option of iron sights open.)

Art Eatman
January 13, 2006, 09:01 PM
I've always thought ConeTrols were the prettiest, and they hold tightly. I've used Weavers since I was a pup, and have never had recoil be any problem.

I have read--in recentyears--that detachable mounts have been made to high enough spec that there is very good repeatability. You might consider those instead of the high mounts. Cheek weld and all that.

Art

Rembrandt
January 13, 2006, 09:08 PM
Use to be Kimber QD until they were no longer available. Now I prefer the Dave Talley quick detach rings.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/qdringswithlevers_054.jpg
For the most elegant rings, ConeTrol makes the nicest....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/ColtSauer3.jpg
Have also used the Warne Quick Detach, but Talley's are nicer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Knight4.jpg

Infidel
January 14, 2006, 01:56 AM
I agree. With both Burris Signature and Conetrol.

Conetrol have been the very best and most elegant for really beautiful rifles for many decades now. I don't own any.

Burris Signature (and Sako Optilock) rings are what I buy. They are the most practical rings for my purposes. I have several.

Samuel2001
January 14, 2006, 03:00 AM
Don't have any Conetrol, but they sure are pretty.

I do like the rings and bases made by Warne, Leupold and Redfield, I wouldn't hesitate using any of 'em.

Oh, forgot to mention Talley, I just dont own any rifles that justify such nice rings. When I save up my pennies for a super wamdy-thumpty bouku bucks rifle I know what rings I'll be using though.

beaver396
January 14, 2006, 03:58 AM
TALLEY rings are very nice.

joshua
January 14, 2006, 04:25 AM
I like the Signature rings because they won't screw up the finish of my scopes. Lots of advantages over standard design rings such as adding more moa when shooting long range by using the offset inserts; they are forgiving if a tyro decides to do a self help base/ring/scope installation. Won't bend the tube. josh

Wildalaska
January 14, 2006, 05:27 AM
EAW for Quick detach (O dream on, even Im not that pretensious to spend $350 on mounts)...OK Leupold or Warne QRWs..

leupold std everything else

I buy no burris

WilddownwithburrisAlaska

tINY
January 14, 2006, 05:49 AM
The Burris signature are nice, despite the habits of some salespeople....

I think my favorite right now are the Tallley lightweights. These don't use bases - they attach right to your receiver. Being aluminium, the lap down pretty easy to keep everythin straight and tight.

-tINY

FirstFreedom
January 14, 2006, 10:46 AM
Rimfire ==> Lynx brand (B-square's premium line)

P-rail/Weaver-style ==> Burris Zee, Burris Signature, Lynx, or Warne (think it's called Warne maxima or some such)

Turn-in ==> Leupold or Redfield

I'm sure there may be better or better values, but I've not tried very many.

Hey Wild, what problems did you have with Burris? I've been less than impressed with certain scopes from them, but I like their rings.

MeekAndMild
January 14, 2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks guys! Lots of information here. I don't know any local people who sell Talley rings and just saw them in the Midway catalogue but will have to look twice now. Haven't seen any ConeTrol in a long long time. Ditto for Warne. I suppose that comes from living over an hour and a half from the nearest big city. Any other mailorder sellers who sell them?

You have a good point Art; on my Marlins I end up doing more of a 'side of the chin weld', sort of the shooting equivalant of a spot tack with a cheap MIG box.

The question of Quick release has come up a few times but I have never tried any. I have wondered if they might put strain on the scope. Is that a possibility?

Seems like a lot of folks here use Leupold. I like them on Weaver bases but have had bad luck with their turn-in variety. Anybody use them on Weaver bases?

Hey Wild, what problems did you have with Burris? I've been less than impressed with certain scopes from them, but I like their rings. I was wondering the same question. What's the deal Wild? (I have heard varying reports about their Fullfield scopes but the signature select scopes are the ones I like. Trouble is that I don't know of anybody else who makes a locking recticle scope. Drop a Leupold a couple of feet and you'll see what I mean.)

Wildalaska
January 14, 2006, 12:40 PM
Hey Wild, what problems did you have with Burris? I've been less than impressed with certain scopes from them, but I like their rings.

I hate internet bashing of compnaies by anonymous folks who take minor slights and blow them up into ego tripping mob frenzies....

Hey, wait Im not anonymous...:)

Will start a thread after the whole deal is complete though. That being said, their rings are solid, their company sucks. if you want to hear more before shot show, call me

WildhasasetofburristooAlaska

Art Eatman
January 14, 2006, 01:28 PM
M&M, I don't see any reason for QDs to put any strain on the scope tube. I've run across a couple, during the years, and noticed no problems.

I traded into some rifle that had the Pachmyr Lo-Swing deal, and it seemed to work okay. Another trade was for a rifle with a Weaver QD; same for it. Might not want to do on-and-off during a several-shot group, but for hunting I don't see why they wouldn't do just fine. I'd check them out, of course, to make sure everything stayed close to where you want.

Sure, we're all more demanding and persnickety about group size, nowadays. But, never forget that a helluva lotta deer have been killed by 3MOA rifles, and that two MOA was once considered quite good for deer hunting.

Art