PDA

View Full Version : An Offer I Couldn't Refuse

Lebben-B
January 2, 2006, 07:04 AM
A few days ago I went home to see some friends and stopped by the local gun shop. In the counter for sale was an HK 45F USP for $499. The counterman said that the pistol was an LE trade-in. The PD in my small hometown carried USPs? I was shocked, to say the least. (I'm from a NASCAR town so that means twice a year the population quintuples. Other than that, not a lot happens in my hometown.)

The pistol came with one mag and a Hogue overgrip. Since I was active duty, the guy said he'd sell it to me for $465. I'm not a fan of plastic frames, but I got the chance to use a Mk 23 in Iraq and was impressed by the pistol's reliability and accuracy. And at $465 for a "vanilla" 45F...done deal, pass der kool-aid mein Herr.

There's a fair bit of holster wear on the slide. The poly rifling is very distinct and the ramp and throat are shiny and unblemished. The trigger has a small bit of creep, but is well within spec for a DA/SA pistol. Sights are tru-dots and they lit up distinctly in complete darkness. The year of manufacture was '98 but given the mechanical state of the pistol, it leads me to believe it's been rebuilt.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/lebbenB/S3000048.jpg

The next day I took it out for a test spin. For "control" purposes I took along one of my 1911s. Ammo used was a variety of Speer, American Eagle, Hornady TAP, and WWB. The majority of the rounds were 230gr FMJ. The TAP was +P 230gr HP.

Weather: N/A - Indoor Range.

Distance(s): 5-25 yds

Devices: No bags or rests were available. All rounds fired using Modern Isoceles stance.

Personal: 6-1, 175lbs male. Average to large hands. Large wrists and forearms.

Impressions: I experienced a constant FTF on the 4th round through several mags. I diagnosed the problem as a bad mag. I stretched the sping a bit and the problem went away. (I know, I know. Don't do that.) Recoil was slightly less than the 1911. Though substantial in weight, I was able to hold the pistol steady through several slow-fire mags. From draw to presentation the pistol came up smoothly and pointed well. Rapid fire was controllable, with the pistol settling quickly after each shot. Mags fell freely when released, either empty or full.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/lebbenB/S3000045.jpg

This is one of the rapid fire targets. Range was 25 yds. I didn't time myself, but I estimate 20-25 seconds from presentation to slide lock. Please ignore the date on the photo. I haven't set the date on my camera.

Because of the mag problem, I bought a new one after I finished shooting. And I have a 3-pack on order. I intend to e-mail HK about the mag problem I encountered. All in all a good, solid pistol.

Mike

ulflyer
January 2, 2006, 08:22 AM
Whooeee, I like those groups. Makes me want to buy an HK...or maybe I can swap one of my 1911's for one.:D

18DAI
January 2, 2006, 10:18 AM
More proof that you can find these for less than $500. I loved my USPF45 so much ,that I went and got the USPF40 for work. Accurate ,100% reliable out of the box. The 40 is a little lighter and smaller than the 45,especially in the grip area. Now I need the USPF9 to complete the set. Pass that Kool -aid.Regards 18DAI.

Lebben-B
January 2, 2006, 10:51 AM
More proof that you can find these for less than $500

18DAI, it was under $500, but according to code on the slide, "KI," the pistol was manufactured in 1998. I don't know that much about priocing HK's, but I still felt I got a lot of gun for the money I spent. Plus all the internals are nearly new. I think I would've passed on it (The shop also had a used Sig 228 .45 for $369) had it not been for the fact that it was a PD trade-in, so I had reason to believe that it was well- or semi well-cared for.

Mike

FirstFreedom
January 2, 2006, 10:52 AM
Great group, and nice deal; congrats! :)

Handy
January 2, 2006, 11:01 AM
Lebbon, when you use the decocker, does the hammer fall all the way, or does it stop short?

Sometime in there HK changed the decocker to the intercept kind. If yours doesn't have this feature, you may want to talk to HK about whether they do upgrades for free.

18DAI
January 2, 2006, 11:37 AM
Lebben-B - I would'nt worry about it being an older model. HK tested them out to 30,000 rounds and stands behind a published 20,000 round service life. My USPF45 is a KF (1995) , one advantage of the older ones is the lack of an internal lock. I've got 5100 rounds through my 45 without a problem. The advantage of Police trade ins (IMHO) is they have been carried alot but shot very little. (300 rounds a year on average). A friend in SF tells me the SEALS are going to a HK USPC45 with threaded barrel. Heard from some others that HK is the front runner to get the contract to replace the Berretta with a 45. My agency lets me carry whatever I can qualify with, thats why I went with the USPF40. I don't know which ones,but there are more than 2 agencies in NC that are issued USPF45. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am mine. Regards 18DAI.

USP45usp
January 2, 2006, 11:40 AM
The only time that my USP didn't shoot great groups was when it was the fault of the shooter, not the gun.

Nice :). You'll be very happy with it.

Wayne

Lebben-B
January 3, 2006, 03:38 AM
Handy, the pistol is a variant 9 so there is no decocker, just a simple 1911-style safety. As far as the amount of rounds down the pistol, given my hometown PD I think 300 a year is a generous estimate.

Looking at the requirement sheet for the JCP, I agree that it sounds an awful lot like a USP 45F Tactical. But it's all speculation at this point. Personally, I would like to see SW enter an M&P in .45 and SA enter the XD 45, for purely nationalistic reasons.

Sir William
January 3, 2006, 05:33 AM
Why you want Springfield Armoury, a importer of foreign produced firearms to enter a Croation import is a thing I cannot fathom. I am finding that I do like HK products. A friend and I went to the range with his VP70 today. If even cruddy used magazines weren't $60.00, I might buy one myself. Do all HK 15 round magazines start at $40.00? I told a counter salesman that they should come pre-loaded for that price. I certainly appreciate a HK when compared to Glock.

Lebben-B
January 3, 2006, 06:06 AM
Why you want Springfield Armoury, a importer of foreign produced firearms to enter a Croation import

Imports or no, SA is still an American company.

I do agree with you that HK accessories are expensive when bought over the counter. But deals can be found on sites like Gunbroker and Sportsman's Guide.

Mike