PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first handgun today!

chance42
December 30, 2005, 09:05 PM
Well after doing some research and looking at my budget, I really liked what Springfield Armory has to offer. I REALLY REALLY like the new xd-45 acp that they just released, but unfortunately no one around here has one or can get one till march or later. So, being impatient(this became a GOOD thing for once), I bought a XD-9 Service Model. This is my first handgun that I've owned, have shot handguns in the past, but this is the first one I've personally owned!

I really like the grip safety vs the traditional safety. These 16 round mags are a bit of a PITA to load, but I think I'll get a loader for the range and work on my hand loading skill at home in my spare time.

Went to go to the range today but they were already closed, oh well they open up at 9:30 AM tomorrow :D . The guy at the gun store looked at me like I was nuts when I asked for 500 rounds, I didn't think it was that uncommon, hell a guy came in and got 500 rounds for a 40 cal 10 minutes before I asked for mine, but someone else helped him and didn't give the same astounded look.

So now I just need to get a range bag(already purchased hearing and eye protection), some more mags(came with 2... want to have 4-8 total... will start with 4 heh) and some targets. Already have cleaning/lube kit. I wanted some snap caps but no one had any, the guy at the shop said just use the already fired round from the factory. It works, but would rather the snap caps, so I think I'll order some over the net for home practice.

I have noticed that I have a habit of switching my focus point of vision to the firing pin indicator when shooting, not flinching, just moving my vision there. We will see how it goes at the range, never really payed attention to detail much in the past, just had fun shooting. So I'll see if my vision shifts to the slide or firing pin indicator at the range tomorrow.

Also, are there any really good defense rounds in FMJ? All I see recommended are JHP, but the only range here is indoor and only allows FMJ, so I bought some that the guy recommended, but not sure he knew what he was talking about on ammo, b/c it was some 115g winchester in a white box... hmm thinking of that... yup the fugger hooked me up with range ammo haha. Ahh well more for practice. Only reason I want something FMJ is so I can shoot it at the range. I would get the JHP, and still might, but prefer not to carry something for defense I've never shot.

Here's some pics. Thanks for the help guys! I think I might end up being a springfield guy for life if all goes well at the range. Still might get the 45 acp when it becomes avail... and sell the 9mm or keep both :cool:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16559&d=1135993762
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16558&d=1135993762
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16557&d=1135993762

MostToysWins
December 30, 2005, 09:17 PM
Nice choice!

Let the addiction begin!

You can never have just 1...

chance42
December 30, 2005, 09:22 PM
Yea I'm afraid of that when the xd 45 acp comes out I'll want to get that and keep the 9mm. Oh well, more fun for me! Perhaps I could rub it off on my fiance and tell her that I'll give her the 9mm... nah... all for me ! Haha

Also, anyone know of a good way to keep a gun holstered in their vehicle(Nissan titan to be specific)? Not really holstered, but where it is available for draw on need, if something were to happen. I don't have a CCW yet, but live in Louisiana, where car carrying is perfectly legal and there are no restrictions such as must be visible or in the glove box. Perhaps a holster and some industrial velcro? Not really sure, so all help is appreciated!

Ronny
December 30, 2005, 09:40 PM
I remember you discussing this in another thread :rolleyes: But good choice on the XD-9. That's a gun you can bet your life on while having fun plinking at the range.

Winchester Whitebox 115gr FMJ is great ammo for range use at about 15$ for a box of 100. As for using FMJ as a defense round... it'll put a hole in the BG, right throught the front and back side. That's about it. If that's defense enough for you then stick with it. For bigger crush cavities and wound channels, hollowpoints are the way to go.

Maddog_Enigma
December 30, 2005, 10:04 PM
Why in the world would the range forbid HP ammo? I can't conceive of a single reason.

chance42
December 30, 2005, 10:20 PM
Not sure, this was from the kid at the store, he said that "since it is an indoor range they don't want to worry about led in the air". So at this point it is hearsay, but he seemed like he goes there alot. We'll see tomorrow when I get to the range, if they let me use HP rounds, great, then I'll get some remington golden sabers in 147 gr!

Ronny
December 30, 2005, 10:49 PM
Lead in the air? That sounds like a pile of BS. Besides, an indoor range is supposed to have some way to ventilate the air inside the firing line. I think they just want to make some more money off of you. If I were you, I'd buy the ammo somewhere else.

What kind of range is this anyway? Is it restricted to pistol calibers? At the range I go to, the only restriction is on rifle calibers. As far as ammo goes, you can bring your own, buy theirs, reload your own, etc. They don't care what you shoot so long as it doesn't blow a hole in the back of their building.

Don't get ripped off!

As long as the ammo is jacketed (aka, Full Metal Jacket or Jacketed Hollow Point), lead really isn't an issue unless you are intentionally trying to get high off of gunsmoke. There are lead round nose bullets (all lead), but using those will just lead up your barrel, and even then, I can't see why the range would restrict them.

By the way, the ammo featured in your gun pictures? Is that the proclaimed "Winchester Whitebox" ammo you bought from them? If so then, yes, you got ripped off. All the Winchester Whitebox ammo I've bought were in brass shell casings. =/

springmom
December 30, 2005, 11:00 PM
GOOD CHOICE!!!

You will love it. Those guns are terrific. If we could open carry such that I didn't need to worry about the big old print that thing leaves in a holster, I'd carry my XD-40 all the time.

You do realize, of course, that you are now on the path of addiction?

Springmom

Ronny
December 30, 2005, 11:05 PM
*quivering to Springfield Armory*

"...please, sir.... I'd like so more..."

chance42
December 30, 2005, 11:11 PM
Lead in the air? That sounds like a pile of BS. Besides, an indoor range is supposed to have some way to ventilate the air inside the firing line. I think they just want to make some more money off of you. If I were you, I'd buy the ammo somewhere else.

What kind of range is this anyway? Is it restricted to pistol calibers? At the range I go to, the only restriction is on rifle calibers. As far as ammo goes, you can bring your own, buy theirs, reload your own, etc. They don't care what you shoot so long as it doesn't blow a hole in the back of their building.

Don't get ripped off!

As long as the ammo is jacketed (aka, Full Metal Jacket or Jacketed Hollow Point), lead really isn't an issue unless you are intentionally trying to get high off of gunsmoke. There are lead round nose bullets (all lead), but using those will just lead up your barrel, and even then, I can't see why the range would restrict them.

By the way, the ammo featured in your gun pictures? Is that the proclaimed "Winchester Whitebox" ammo you bought from them? If so then, yes, you got ripped off. All the Winchester Whitebox ammo I've bought were in brass shell casings. =/

The ammo pictured is Blazer ammo, aluminum cased. The one box of WWB is brass shelled. It was a chain store, Academy Sports, haven't been to the range itself yet. So I'll see tomorrow if the only FMJ holds true, if not, depending on price I might pick up some JHP there to try out and see what I like for a defense round.

Ronny
December 30, 2005, 11:19 PM
Ah, ok. Hope you have a great time at the range tomorrow. There's nothing like the first shot out of your first gun!

dave0520
December 30, 2005, 11:39 PM
I don't know why the gunstore people would tell you only FMJ. The good self-defense HP's are 2-3 times more expensive. I would assume that they would rather have you use HP's because they penetrate less and therefore would not jack up their stop so bad.

shotgunner427
December 30, 2005, 11:54 PM
When i first read the post i thought you saw me buying ammo until i later read you were in louisiana. I bought a case of Winchester Ranger today in .40 :)
congrats on the new piece, and have fun with it i have heard good things about those xd's.
....and everyone is right, you can't get just one.

Ronny
December 31, 2005, 12:17 AM
IMHO, make the next one a .45 :D

chance42
December 31, 2005, 01:56 AM
Probably will be, either Springfield 1911 or XD-45 ACP... gotta pay off some other things first, and then try to hide the 45 from the fiance o.O

GLP Standard
December 31, 2005, 02:08 AM
Good choice! I just bought mine (also my first handgun) about a month ago. I love it. Great gun. My next will probably be a Glock .45ACP, and after that I'll probably get an M4 Carbine. Im not really big on guns, and im not a collector, so I think 2 handguns and a rifle will do it for me ;)

Morlock
December 31, 2005, 09:01 AM
I was wondering guys why 45 ACP is always being repeatedly said when AFAIK it is the 45GAP ... correct me if im wrong ... I purchaed my SAXD 40 a month ago also and not one complain yet arised in general .

chance42
December 31, 2005, 10:01 AM
XD 45 ACP just came out, go to springfields webpage the intro is a flash advertisement for it. It's a 45 ACP, 13+1 capacity, 4 inch barrel.

varoadking
January 2, 2006, 04:19 PM
I think 2 handguns and a rifle will do it for me

Ha! You have no idea...

orionengnr
January 2, 2006, 04:31 PM
http://www.hs2000talk.com/index.php

Optical Serenity
January 2, 2006, 05:23 PM
I've been eyeballing the XD series...I'd really like one in .45

tom650604
January 2, 2006, 05:35 PM
Good choice man and "WELCOME TO THE GUNCOHOLIC WORLD".

I also bought the XD as my first ever handgun. Now currently own 4 handgun. Here is a pic of mine.

Springfield XD40
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/tom650604/xd2.jpg

FirstFreedom
January 2, 2006, 06:00 PM
Scha-weet! You're gonna love it.

I think 2 handguns and a rifle will do it for me

Ha! You have no idea...

Indeed he doesn't. :) Well it's possible, I suppose. But I would contend that if your "gun-nutty" enough to come post on a gun board, you ain't gonna stop until you run out of money or your wife withholds sex until you stop buying guns (which incidentally, will be at approx. the same time). :)

alston73
January 2, 2006, 06:12 PM
That makes sense if you bought your ammo at Academy. If the Academy in your area is anything like the ones in Oklahoma City here, the guy behind the counter was probably looking at you like that because he couldn't multiply or add that high.