PDA

View Full Version : Cool Range Experience

roy reali
December 30, 2005, 04:36 PM
I hope I am posting this under the correct topic.

I went to the rifle range this morning. There were not many shooters there, but the few that were had very interesting rifles.

Two guys had reproduction buffalo rifles. They were in .45-90. They were shooting blackpowder loads. The smoke and sound were neat. But this pails in comparison to a guy that showed up as I was getting ready to leave.

He had a double barrel, side-by-side rifle. It was in 20 bore. It was also a pinfire gun. He had brass and paper cartridges to shoot it. These were loaded with blackpowder pushing 485 grain lead bullets. This delayed my departure. He was doing well with. I was hoping for an invite to try it. It never happened. Some folks just are not too nice.:D

I did not ask what model or make his rifle was. The rangemaster told me it was an original.

I did mention to the shooter that his rifle would be great for close cover boar hunting. He said that was his plans for the rifle.

I would have loved to fire that rifle just once.

Has anyone had such a chance?

Jim Watson
December 30, 2005, 04:38 PM
Loading pinfire shells is a considerable chore. Maybe he just didn't want to give them away to a stranger met by chance on the range.

Friend of mine has a Webley .450 Black Powder Express double. That is a hoot to fire... a few times.

USAPatriot
December 30, 2005, 05:19 PM
Most guys know when they are drawing a crowd that there's some prospective shooters there. Some will offer to let ya shoot, others would prefer not to. Some will if you offer them an incentive. There's nothing wrong with offering up 5 bucks to cover the guy's costs and buy him a burger or two. The first time I fired a BMG the shot was free, the guy was letting shooters keep the brass as souvenirs, but it seems like I was the only one with the forethought to reimburse the guy. Good manners goes a long way. -Rod-

rugerdude
December 30, 2005, 06:52 PM
The very first time I went to the range, with my very first centerfire rifle (mosin nagant 91/30) I met a guy who was in the army, and was shooting with his buddy next to me.

I had just started posting on this forum and absorbing the wealth of knowledge on here, which helped me make conversation with the guy.

I commented on his AK, M-1 carbine and HK-91 (not a CETME, the real deal) Making sure to identify them correctly and say that they were awesome.

Well, as they were leaving, he had 13 rounds of .308 left (I was shooting the MN, but I could hear him talking to his friend) and he decided to let me shoot it.

It was....ummm...what's the word....uhhh...oh yes....SWEEEEET!!!!!

I didn't have any cash to pay him back with, but I did offer to let him shoot my humble MN, he declined. So I shook his hand, said thanks and he went on his way.

We also had a laugh over my apperel (He was in the army and wearing an army T-shirt, and I was wearing a Marine Corps T-shirt, and a Marine Corps hat)

One of the things he said to me was, "You sure know a lot about gun, what are you? 17?"

He was kinda suprised when I told him I was 13.

colt
December 30, 2005, 07:11 PM
that i met at the range, he let me shoot his rem 700 TLR and after that whenever i go to the range i call him and we make a day of it, and he always seems to have a new gun that he wants me to try. you meet some nice people at the range:)