PDA

View Full Version : Revolver guy looking for a 9mm to carry

Blade37db
December 28, 2005, 06:03 PM
I'm looking to replace a Colt Det Special with some form of a DAO 9mm. I'm trying to keep it under $500 (new) but just as reliable. I have relatively small hands and would like the weight to be close to the DS (20-23oz.). I'd like as much capacity as possible to justify switching from a six shooter. Kahr TP 9 is a little short on capacity (7 or 8) with reliability questions. The Taurus Millennium Pro has the "Taurus Reputation" and a lot of buttons & locks but good capacity and weight. The Glock 19 might be a bit too much money and the light trigger might be a concern. I'm going to try and find a range that rents some of these models, but until I can, let me know your thoughts.
Thanks.

progrmr
December 28, 2005, 06:13 PM
I got a lightly used Glock 26 for $450...That'd be a perfect fit.

Blade37db
December 28, 2005, 06:24 PM
progrmr, I found the grip too short on the 26. Can't really get the 3rd finger on it. Believe it or not, I can on the DS and am comfortable with that for controlability.

varoadking
December 28, 2005, 06:28 PM
I never knew anyone who would buy a Taurus autoloader once they owned a quality handgun. It's only feature is price point.

The Glock 19 would be a very good choice, as would a Springfield XD, though neither is DAO. Accurate enough, very reliable, with high cap mags. The Glock ergo's just aren't as good as the XD, though the Glock does handle recoil better...whatever little recoil a 9mm produces.

The best bang for the lowest buck is likely a CZ PCR or Compact - DA/SA. It's cheap. takes high capacity magazines, is very accurate, and very reliable. It is heavy though for as small as it is. It will likely need a trigger job, as the stock CZ trigger generally blows chunks.

I'd likely choose the Glock 19, even if it is a bit more than you want to spend.

Gene1957
December 28, 2005, 06:39 PM
You have to go with CZs IMO! There are lots of reputable vendors out there on GunBroker or GunsAmerica, PLUS Ron Falk at Eagle Sports. I now have 2 75 compacts (2005 twins) and they are phenomenol in quality and ergonomics. You should be able to have the 14 round magazines in the case, but can always get extras cheap.

These are my 3rd and 4th CZs in the last 18 months, and they are world class guns to me. Have shot Sigs also, an awesome gun, but the price hurts and I really don't think I sacrifice anything overall compared to any manufacturer. But that is just me, not trying to start a flame or anything like that.

Just a die hard CZ fanatic,

Gene:p

HYDRA-SHOKz
December 28, 2005, 10:49 PM
I'd also take the Glock 19.You should be able to find one for $500 or less.

Mark54g
December 28, 2005, 11:11 PM
Are you dead sure you want DAO? Any particular reason? If you shoot (past the DA shot, you are ready (or should be) to continue firing until the threat is over.

If you are willing to look at some DA/SA the CZ compact series or the 2075 RAMI which is much smaller would something to think about. It comes with the option of 10+1 9mm or 8+1 40S&W

threefivesevenmag
December 28, 2005, 11:12 PM
Another vote for the Glock 19. It's a great firearm. Recoil management is a subjective and different for everyone, although I do like XDs and will own one someday.

Glocks are easily smithed and magazines/holsters are easily obtained.

Might want to check on some of the Smith & Wesson compacts. They can be found used and DAO without a heavy price tag.

somerled
December 29, 2005, 09:21 PM
You might try the Kahr pistols. They are DAO and the steel-framed ones fall into that weight range. There is an E9, I believe, which is an economy version. The steel-framed pistols seem to have better track records reliability wise. The website has the specifications:

http://www.kahr.com/front.html

The Springfield XD Sub-Compact may work for you. It has a similar trigger setup to a Glock. You could "New York trigger" either if 5.5 pounds with all that takeup is not safe enough. (Any pistol is unsafe if the operator has a finger inside the trigger guard when he or she shouldn't.)

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl-sub-compact.shtml

I also like the Sig P228, which is a bit lighter than the P229. It is a favorite of mine and has always proven extremely reliable.

http://www.sigarms.com/products/classiccompactsize-models.asp?product_id=212

shamus005
December 29, 2005, 10:24 PM
Glock 19, or 26 (with the extended third finger thingy on the mag for ya, see pic below)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/shamus005/g26fingerext.jpg

Oh, and install a "new york" trigger spring on the glock 26 and the trigger will go up to 8# or so, if you still want that heavy DAO feel.

Hayley
December 29, 2005, 11:01 PM
Among CZs, this one answers: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_82/products_id/11848

sewerman
December 30, 2005, 11:02 AM
NRA gun of the year.
9mm ,accurate, simple, comfortable,
under $500 and handles 16 rd mags.
had range time on one recently, my son likes it
as much as his glock 27.
each to his own.
happy hunting.:)

MillCreek
December 30, 2005, 11:34 AM
I have about eight or nine 9 mm pistols sitting in the safe right now. The one I carry most commonly right now is a Taurus PT-111 Pro. But if the Taurus name is a concern to you, don't forget the many wonderful S&W models that might work for you, such as the 3913 or the variants thereto. My 3913, 669 or 659 have always worked well for me.