PDA

View Full Version : newb: jennings .380

stoney0024
December 26, 2005, 08:48 PM
yea i know its not the best gun, but i its my first and i got it free. i dont know much about guns but i need help. when i pull the slide back the roung goes in but it wont shoot when i pull the trigger. i have the safety off.i think the hammer isnt staying cocked back because when i take the clip and all bullets out, then cock and fire it, it dont even click. whats wrong? sorry to be such a newb

rapier144
December 26, 2005, 09:03 PM
My brother had jennins nine and it did basicly the same thing you would squeeze the trigger and it wouldn't shoot but squeeze 7 or 8 times in row and it would go off. Almost like you had to pump it up.:) Well i took it a part and one of the parts in the firing mechanism was poorly made and weakened over time and it was getting bent just enough so it wouldn't shoot but by squeeze the trigger repeatedly you would move the mechanism a little each time till it reach the point that it would fire. Needless to say he just put the gun up . It wasn't worth fixing.

denfoote
December 26, 2005, 09:41 PM
First, I would have it checked out by a gunsmith.
Then, after he's done laughing, explain what it's doing.
Frankly, the Jennings may not be worth fixing, if there is something wrong!!
If it was a gift with sentimental value (like it was your father's), I would just retire it honorably and get something else.

Even a Hi-Point is a better gun then a Jennings!! :eek:

Clayfish
December 26, 2005, 10:09 PM
when i take the clip and all bullets out, then cock and fire it, it dont even click

There is a mechanism that blocks the trigger when there is no MAGAZINE (not clip) in the gun. Make sure the slide goes all the way back when chamberi a round. Try this, empty the mag and put it in the gun, pull the slide back untill it catches, then put a full mag in and press the safety lever all the way down releasing the slide. If it doesn't fire after this then you've got a problem. (Make sure and do this at the range or at a safe place to shoot) Try to take it to a gun smith and if they won't fix it then you've got yourself a real nice paperweight.

Samuel2001
December 27, 2005, 03:47 AM
GIVE IT BACK!:D

stoney0024
December 27, 2005, 12:29 PM
i thank those of u who gave helpful input. i will try somethings out

can anyone post me a diagram on how to reassemble it cuz im thinkin bout takin it apart

American4guns
December 27, 2005, 07:48 PM
they may have a site with a downloadable owners manual.

stoney0024
December 28, 2005, 01:31 AM
links anyone?

Gazpacho
December 28, 2005, 02:02 AM
I'd wait for a local police gun-buy (when they give you $50 for any gun turned over, no questions asked) then use the money towards a nice used revolver, or Bersa 380.

I wouldn't trust a Jennings/Bryco/Lorcin/Raven with a malfunction history.

MasterPieceArms.com
December 28, 2005, 05:05 AM
1st, these are single action guns, meaning that pulling the trigger only does ONE thing: release the firing pin which is under spring tension. Pull the slide back and look into the breech to see if the firing pin is sticking out of the bolt face. If it is, then it's not cocked. If you see no pin sticking out, then it's cocked.

I'm ever so curious how you got it "for free" and what the previous owner told you during that process :o

I can't shake the feeling that this is operator error. That's ok, just make sure you learn safely. It's very possible that it was reassembled incorrectly by the previous owner.

The firing pin spring likes to fly when you take it apart, so I suggest wearing safety glasses and maybe having a sheet over you when you do it for the first time :D (hunting for parts that flew behind furniture is no fun).

I don't think these have a magazine disconnect "safety" but leave the empty mag in just in case when you try to fire it.

DON'T dry fire these guns. If you don't have a "snap cap," putting a pencil down the barrel, eraser end first, or a bic pen plastic end first, works just as good. Letting the firing pin have something to cushion it's forward thrust will lengthen it's life.

stoney0024
December 30, 2005, 02:05 PM
i took it apart. its missing the part that holds the firing pin back when cocked. it has all the parts that go to slide, it has all the parts that go in the handle, but its missingthe parts on top of the gun when the slide is off. what are these parts called?