PDA

View Full Version : Slug barrel question?

fatboy02
December 24, 2005, 01:22 AM
My girlfriend has an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter with a rifled bore in 20 gauge single shot. She ws told that the only thing she should fire through it are Sabot slugs is this true? She wants to take it out to the range with us but Sabots get expensive just shooting targets any help is appreciated.

ron73644
December 24, 2005, 02:07 AM
Sabots were made for a rifled bore. To my skimpy knowledge, no other slug was made for a rifled bore. You could shoot something else in it but it probably wouldn't be very accurate.

Twycross
December 24, 2005, 02:19 AM
Sabots are the only munition she should shoot, although I don't think it will damage the gun at all to fire rifled slugs or shot. She just won't get much accuracy from the slugs, and the shot will come out in a huge donut pattern.

Ruger4570
December 24, 2005, 07:47 AM
The H&R Ultra Slug gun was made for one purpose, shooting - Sabots, nothing else.

fatboy02
December 24, 2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks all for your quick responses.

kudu
December 24, 2005, 10:54 PM
Standard foster type slugs will shoot fine through a rifled slug barrel. It may lead the barrel a bit, as regular slugs are soft. It will probably give better accuracy with them than a smoothbore shotgun would. As stated, if you want the best accuracy, go with sabots, but standard slugs are OK in a rifled slug barrel. Remember to clean it a bit more if you use regular slugs.

ron73644
December 25, 2005, 01:31 AM
But............but..........If they aren't accurate, they aint ok.:confused: :confused:

Mannlicher
December 25, 2005, 11:06 AM
The obverse is also true. Shooting sabot slugs in an unrifled barrel results in very poor accuracy.
I have found that in my slug guns, foster slugs and Brenneke slugs work, but are not as accurate as Sabots.