PDA

View Full Version : How Dangerous?

KyJim
December 22, 2005, 05:48 PM
I have carried a Colt Mustang .380 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster for some time because I like its flat profile. I carried with no round in the chamber but recently started carrying locked and cocked. The problem is that twice I have noticed the safety has become disengaged in the holster (in the front pocket of my jeans). I have temporarily stopped carrying like this. The Mustang does not have the grip safety of the series 80 1911s.

I practice keeping my finger off the trigger but am concerned about the safety disengaging. How dangerous is this?

Seraph
December 22, 2005, 05:57 PM
Uncle Mike's pocket holster
I think this is the problem.

USP45usp
December 22, 2005, 06:11 PM
I agree that it's the Uncle Mikes.

Don't get me wrong, they have their place, but as a main holster for carry, well that isn't one of them IMHO.

Wayne

radom
December 23, 2005, 02:37 AM
Pete, Repete and Ditto on the Uncles Mike's 'thing'.

blume357
December 23, 2005, 05:11 AM
My father while in Korea (1950) carried an older model (obvious) Colt 380 as a back up handgun. He traded it for a S&W 38 special because everytime he pulled the Colt out the saftey was off.

mfree
December 23, 2005, 09:05 AM
I would hand it to a smith and see if they could make the safety engagement more positive.

KyJim
December 23, 2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I'll try a leather pocket holster before giving up on the Mustang. Like I said it has a very flat profile, is accurate, and fairly pleasant to shoot. Til I track one down, I'll just carry my S&W 637.

Dallas Jack
December 24, 2005, 05:30 PM
I don't think it's the holster. I had one of the Colt Mk IV (.380) series 80's and the safety was disengaging in a Bianchi. The mag release was another problem area. It took little presure to release the mag. I would remove the gun from the holster only to find the mag sticking out about a half inch.

HappyGunner
December 24, 2005, 05:38 PM
No matter what the problem is you'r holster you'r finger if you keep carrying that gun like it is pretty soon it's going to hurt you or someone near by.:o

saands
December 24, 2005, 05:45 PM
I recently saw a pic of a pocket holster that Eric at HBE did that actually had an indentation in the leather that kept the safety in the desired position (in that case it was a DAO pistol so the holster kept the safety on "Fire"). Somethink like that might be what your Mustang needs. I have one of his holsters and it is hands down the nicest holster I own. Don't know about the leadtime, though.

Saands

michael t
December 24, 2005, 06:56 PM
Well their a 80 series so they have the fireing pin block. It won't fire unless the trigger is pulled. Or so they claim. Get a good holster and carry C&L thats the way they used to advertise them to be carried. I guess you could try a different spring . But be careful When you pull safety down to remove spring and plunger come out flying. Do it in a plastic bag some parts can't be replaced.

erh
January 10, 2006, 08:31 AM
Single action semi auto Browning design for "Cocked & Locked Pocket Carry" is NOT a good idea IMHO; try a nice IWB it'll just Vanish during carry if done correctly. (erh)

Handy
January 10, 2006, 10:19 AM
Alot of people carry these guns chamber loaded, hammer down. You obviously have to lower the hammer with alot of diligence (and both hands), but it makes the gun totally inert and you'll still be able to get it into action with one hand.

Not pushing that method, just something to consider.

StrikeEagle
January 10, 2006, 04:02 PM
Cocked and locked in my pocket would worry me. And if I found that the safety was disengaging, it would REALLY upset me. I sure wouldn't do it.

I used to carry a tiny locked breech .380. The FIE, made I think, by Star. Carried it in my pocket, but hammer down on a loaded chamber. That didn't worry me as much. Who knows, maybe it should have! :eek:

StrikeEagle

Ala Dan
January 10, 2006, 05:29 PM
Uncle Mike's products aren't the best or the safest in the world~!:(

Balloo
January 10, 2006, 05:41 PM
I bought an uncle mikes sidekick for my G22 before I knew how crappy they were.I now have it mounted to the side of my nightstand cause thats all its good for.Every one I have seen is crappy and I would say get a new holster.

TBT
January 10, 2006, 06:58 PM
1 - I doubt it is the holster.
2 - Nothing wrong with cocked and locked. I've no idea why people get jumpy over that. I carry Condition 1 in an Uncle Mike's IWB everyday. The holster is now 3 years old with little to no wear. I believe I paid $7 for it.