PDA

View Full Version : Preventing rust.

steelersfan0000
December 19, 2005, 06:39 PM
Well when i go hunting with my shotgun, and rifles in the winter with snow. It aquires alittle bit of rust. Witch i can live with but my real problem is how hopps 9 gun oil makes my gun feel. All greasey. Is there anything that i can use to prevent rust but not make the gun feel so oily. And yes i have tried useing smaller amounts.:p

rugerdude
December 19, 2005, 06:41 PM
I put a little rem-oil or simmilar product on a cloth or paper towel and wipe down all metal surfaces. don't care too much if it feels greasy, because my gins don't come out of their cases very often other than for rust inspection.

Dfariswheel
December 19, 2005, 07:07 PM
First, try a better rust preventing lube.
One of the very best is CLP Breakfree.

To prevent rust, spray the gun down dripping wet, and allow to soak 20 minutes or so.

This will dissolve any old lubes, and will "soak" into the finish.
Wipe down with a cloth, leaving a thin layer on the metal and the gun is well protected.

When the day is over, apply another very thin coat with a clean patch with CLP on it.

Over time, this will build up a layer of Teflon on the metal preventing rust.
Another advantage of CLP Breakfree is, it loosens and dissolves any rust that does appear.

Another method used by salt-water duck and goose hunters is to apply a coat of wax to the metal.

Many use ordinary Johnson's Paste Wood Floor wax.
Apply a heavy coat, then warm the metal with a hair dryer until the wax melts.

Allow to stand for for a few minutes, then gently wipe off any excess.

Some people have used auto wax, but most of these don't work as well as the Johnson's, and too many auto wax's contain abrasives that can damage your guns bluing.

The best all around rust preventive is to apply CLP before taking the gun out for the day.

dolanp
December 19, 2005, 07:16 PM
I agree on the CLP. As far as the waxes there is a gun-specific product called Armadillo by Blue Wonder which supposedly works well.

SavageSniper
December 19, 2005, 07:18 PM
You beet me to it Defarriswheel, Good ole wax. I use it in my woodshop all the time on my saws, etc. The best thing I have ever used to prevent rust. Just one warning, make sure that the metal is good and dry. It will keep moisture out, but it will also keep it in. Also, you can use cleaner wax to remove rust

steelersfan0000
December 19, 2005, 08:20 PM
Man havent been to this site for awhile. Good to see you are just a quick with the advice though.
Thanks, steelersfan

tINY
December 19, 2005, 11:30 PM
The Tetra Gun oil has always worked well for me. It's a bit waxy and has PTFE in it which, when you burnish it tends to form a thin durrable film on metals.

-tINY

stevelyn
December 20, 2005, 03:51 AM
Break-Free is excellent, but I've found that Bullfrog seems to work better longer on our department shotguns. They are exposed to a marine environment and wide temperature variations in our vehicles. Most don't even come out of the lectro-locks unless I'm inspecting them.
I still use BF for internals, but the outsides get wiped down with the Bullfrog.

http://www.rustbloc.com

youp
December 20, 2005, 05:02 AM
PTFE is the abreviation for the chemical that is known as teflon. I kind of like carnuba wax myself.

tINY
December 21, 2005, 02:01 AM
Poly-Tetra-fluoro Ethylene - yep. That way the carrier can completely dry and there is still lurication....

-tINY

Picher
December 21, 2005, 04:36 AM
On the advice of my gunsmith, I used carnauba wax (Classic) on my chrome-moly, in-the-white target barrel and haven't had any rust on it after three seasons of outdoor shooting.

On all my other guns, I find Break-Free to prevent rust better than anything else I've tried, but never even heard of Bullfrog before.

Picher

SakoL61R
December 21, 2005, 06:18 AM
Good info on corrosion protection with product tests here:
http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

BloodyBucket03
December 21, 2005, 10:05 AM
Put some EEZOX on it. It is not greasy and will protect you shotgun for future hunting trips.

SavageSniper
December 21, 2005, 05:51 PM
If you do have rust that you want to remove, there is a product called Top Saver. It is for removing rust from table saws, jointers, planers, etc. I have it and use it in my workshop and it works great, as long as the rust has not pitted. You can find it at Woodcraft or Rocklers, both at .com

steelersfan0000
December 23, 2005, 10:08 PM
Im surprised it has not pitted. I saved it for my grandfathers basment and it took a long time with steel wool to get the rust off. but in useing that method some of the blueing came off. so for bare metal (besides getting it reblued) what would you suggest.

indybrad
December 23, 2005, 10:35 PM
I've found that oiling my guns down and putting them in a gun sock helps for long term. I still check them periodicly just incase. I use rem oil or hopps.