PDA

View Full Version : 300 weatherby problem

SavageSniper
December 18, 2005, 09:38 AM
Ok all of you wizzbangs;) I have a problem that I need help with. My friend has a 300 Weatherby (bought it for the Rhino problem in the back yard:D ) I have been helping him sight it in. The problem is that we have it sighted in and on the first shot(cold) will hit point of aim every time. The next two or more shot are always about 2-3 inches to the right and low, and they are not tight together. Sit the rifle down for awhile and let it cool and it will again hit dead on. Whats up?:confused:

Ruger4570
December 18, 2005, 11:22 AM
Without seeing the gun in person it sounds like the barrel could be EXTREMELY sensative to heat or possible something is loose. Have you tried to tighten the guard screws? The gun may be a canadate for glass bedding, free floating or need some pressure at the stock forearm. Most Weatherby guns I have shot and those of my buddies are quite accurate.

SavageSniper
December 18, 2005, 12:48 PM
Yes everything is tight. I was thinking along the same lines with the barrel being heat sensitive. Like I said, it is very accurate on the first shot. As a matter of fact, he shot a deer with it across a pond that was atleast 350 yrds. Droped like a rock, but what do you expect with an elephant gun:p .
He has the synthetic stock, is there any known problems with them?

Ruger4570
December 18, 2005, 02:37 PM
most synthetics are sort of a drop in fit, I have glassed 2 of mine and it seemed to help

Lycanthrope
December 18, 2005, 02:56 PM
I'd free float her first.

guntotin_fool
December 18, 2005, 03:19 PM
take the action out of the stock. clean everything, look for some flash or grit or something that is keeping the action from screwing down tight.

Make sure the scope mount screws are in the right holes, and tight. We had a win 70 that did this and it was because the rear screw in the front mount was hitting the bolt. and when fired it would put stress on the screw and alter POI.

try it again.

If it does the same thing...recheck your shooting technique, are you pulling the gun in tighter for your second and third shot?

if you are sure of your technique and you are sure every thing is tight, loosen the action screw and take a business card and lay it in the barrel channel and then retighten the screws. try to tug the card and see it if it is tight. if not add another business card. then shoot it, this "tip pressure" is often just what the doctor ordered. if not, send it back to weatherby and ask them to try it. They have had a good rep for customer service and they may find that a lug is not bearing tight or a non stress relieved barrel, stuff just seems to happen sometimes. they guarantee a 1 1/2 group from a cold barrel.

Pointer
December 19, 2005, 12:46 AM
Your barrel has stresses in the metal which expand and contract at different rates than the rest of the barrel... :(

Bedding and free floating will help only a very little and the problem will still be there...

Do it anyway It is easy enough to do and very cheap as well...
Around $40 if you do the labor and it's not difficult...
We've all done it that "first" time and you'll only get better as time goes by...

The best option is to send it to Weatherby with an explanation of the problem.

They will test it, and very probably REPLACE it and you only pay the shipping "to" Weatherby, and they pay the return "if" they find it defective.

They are guaranteed to group under two inches.

Another option is to relieve the stresses in the existing barrel.
Try Cryocon, 801-399-4000 It will cost you about $150 plus S&H... :(

Another option is to rebarrel it...
The only smart way to rebarrel is to considerably upgrade the quality.
This will cost a minimum of $300 for a premium quality barrel.

I had the same problem and I recognize the symptoms...

Trust me on this one...
Send it to Weatherby before you spend any serious money on it.

The other option is to stick some other sucker with it... :rolleyes:

guntotin_fool
December 19, 2005, 02:41 AM
DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO THE GUN THAT IS PERMANENT TILL IT MAKES ONE TRIP BACK TO WEATHERBY.

that includes "bedding" the action. Rarely does this help if the other factors are met. The one or two business card trick is not permanent but often puts enough prestress on the the barrel to correct a small error in the barrel.

If you start slathering glue or epoxy around the bedding site, Weatherby will viod your warrantee.

SavageSniper
December 19, 2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks for all of your help. He is going to send it back to weatherby. He is dissapointed, but I guess that that is the breaks.

FrontSight
December 19, 2005, 06:47 PM
I'm by no means an expert, and only just read this in an article the other day in Sports Afield - Have you looked for any wear inside the stock where it might be meeting the barrel, other than at the fore & aft? Could also be that the barrel is expanding from the heat and rubbing against the stock along the length, causing the problem...you'll be able to tell by rub marks or smoothing on the inside of the stock...like I said, I'm no expert tho

SavageSniper
December 19, 2005, 07:06 PM
No, I did not see anything unusual. I did have the rifle apart several times cleaning it and so forth. I do beleive that it is something with the makeup of the barrel. I am a master engine builder and european car mechanic by trade, so I am very fam. with how sometimes when a billot is cast, everything just does not get mixed right. Kinda like when you make mac-n-cheese you get that one lump of cheese in the middle:D . OK now I am really showing my redneck roots. Anyway, an inpurity in the barrel will certainly make it heat up more in one spot more causing the problem. Like I said it is going back to weatherby. Maybe I can talk him into getting a Savage now. He will be using my 110 .270 for the rest of deer season.