PDA

View Full Version : The KelTec P11...

Mokumbear
December 16, 2005, 12:57 AM
I see there are three different finishes available:

- BLUED FINISH
- PARKERIZED FINISH
- HARD CHROME FINISH

Which is least likely to rust in a very hot and humid enviromrnent?

How long has the P11 been on the market?
I though it was odd that the guy at our local gun shop has the .32 Keltec
but has shot it all of 11 times. It makes me think he's afraid of breaking it.

I want a gun I can shoot to my hearts without worrying about breaking it! :rolleyes:

chris in va
December 16, 2005, 01:56 AM
I've got the blued version. It's showing very slight discoloration on the slide serrations after normal carry conditions, about a year's worth. I believe the hard chrome is what you want for rust prevention.

Now keep in mind this is not a 'shooters' gun. The trigger is horribly long/hard in pull and has a lot of muzzle flip. You'll be done after about 50 rounds at the range. It's only redeeming quality is how darn small it is for being a 9mm. It's my 'discreet' CCW, so gets rarely carried.

Got any other ideas?

CajunBass
December 16, 2005, 02:00 AM
I guess the P-11 has been around 10 years or so. I've seen some references to magazine articles in 1996 anyway.

I've got a hard chrome one I've had for 6 or 8 months. It's never seen any rust in that time, and I don't do anything special to it. Just wipe it off during a normal cleaning. I've got 800-900 rounds though it now, and I've never had any problems with it, just a couple of jams early on with range reloads.

It's got a bit of kick to it because it's so light, as do all Kel-Tecs, which may be why your buddy hasn't shot his P-32 more. I understand even they kick a bit.

Got to http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi for more information.

Marcus
December 16, 2005, 10:35 PM
Mine is parkerized. I carried it everyday for about 5 years with the KelTec IWB clip (no holster to protect it). On hot days it was often literaly beaded with sweat. No special care,just wiped it off and oiled it lightly after each range session and it never rusted at all. Even on some corners where the finish was worn to bare metal it still doesn`t rust. I suppose the finish penetrates the steel? I dunno.
The trigger pull is on the long side but the weight is 8.5lbs.,lighter than most DA/SA autos DA pulls. I don`t know what people are always getting their panties in a bunch over,it`s not great but it`s not that bad either.
I can`t speak for the reliability or durability of ALL P-11s but mine has well over 10,000rds. through it and it`s still tight and accurate. It`s jammed twice in that time and once was a case of shooter stupidity. Zero breakage. Take it for what it`s worth. Marcus