PDA

View Full Version : .338-06 A-Square

taylorce1
December 15, 2005, 07:32 PM
I heard that Weatherby was manufactruing a .338-06 in their Vanguard line, has anyone seen one? I checked out their web site and couldn't find a rifle offered in this caliber but I could by the ammo. I own a .338-06 but not in the A-square chambering, I would love to find one of these rifles if they are still available. Can anyone help?

hatchet
December 15, 2005, 09:30 PM
Go to gunsandammomag.com and click on the more Long Guns section. The go to page 4 and you will find an article on what you are looking for.

FirstFreedom
December 15, 2005, 11:12 PM
here

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/long_guns/mark_v_lightweight/

But it's a Mark V, not a Vanguard. Interesting....

taylorce1
December 16, 2005, 03:37 PM
Checked the Mark V on Weatherby's web site and still can't find a listing for the .338-06 other than their ammunition. How old is the article in Guns & Ammo.

hatchet
December 17, 2005, 08:50 AM
Not sure now old the article is. I stumpled across it about a year ago while researching the 338-06. Back then it was on the 1st or 2nd page on Guns and Ammo site. So, I do not think it as too old.

taylorce1
December 19, 2005, 05:29 PM
I never did find a Weatherby when I was looking for my .338-06, I wound up taking an action in to have one built and walked out with the very rifle I wanted that same day. The gusmith I took my action to already had one for sale I got my total package for $1325 and I saw the Weatherby's in the article were going to be around $1250. It is built on a 1903 action that is glass bedded, with a medium taper barrel with six flutes that is free floated. I mounted a 2.5X7 VariX-III with butler creek covers. I also purchased a new sling and hardside gun case for about $75 more than the Weatherby w/o scope and I got to keep my 06 I was going to rebarrel. He threw in the dies all of his primed cases, loaded cartridges and load data, I don't think I did too poorly for my first custom rig.