PDA

View Full Version : Need info on single barrel shotgun

steve1589
December 14, 2005, 12:20 PM
I got in a single barrel shotgun yesterday that needs a hammer spring and retaining screw and also tang screw. The gun has no manufactors name on it. It has [KK] on the left side of the receiver and patent dates on the right side. Dec15 91 Aug11 96 Aug14 00 May27 02. The gun has a takedown screw that has large circle attached to it that flips up out of a cut out in the receiver that you use to remove the screw instead of a screwdriver. The trigger guard has an intergral screw on the front of the guard and a screw at the rear like a double barrel shotgun trigger guard. The fore end comes off by removing one screw. The fore end iron is held on by one screw through the barrel lug. They are not screwed together like most single barrels. At first glance it looks like an Iver Johnson except it has an open tang like a Marlin 336 instead of one long stock bolt. There is a serial # on it. And the number 12 on the barrel just ahead of the fore end on the bottom. It also uses a screw to hold the hammer in place instead of a pin. I hope that is enough info.Thanks.

James K
December 14, 2005, 03:46 PM
I don't know about the other folks, but I have no idea who made it or when (after the patent dates, of course).

I can tell you that you are not going to find parts for that old gun even if you knew the maker. Fortunately, it should be no big problem to make a spring and a couple of screws. Whether your customer is willing to pay for that work on what is really an almost worthless shotgun is another story.

(BTW, don't fall for that old "it has sentimental value, I'll pay anything to have it fixed." When you fix it and hand him the bill, he will tell you what to do with the gun. Tell him that there will be a $100 minimum advance payment before you begin work and see how much "pay anything" really means.)

Jim

steve1589
December 14, 2005, 08:39 PM
A guy on gun parts forum told me what it is. KK stood for KEEN KUTTER. The gun was made by Hopkins & Allen somewhere around 1917. Gunparts has a breakdown on it but the parts I need may not be available. At least I know what the spring looks like now. I would not do any work without some money. I had a guy bring in a Savage 99 he wanted refinished. When I told him how much he said he figured the work was worth $300.So, he is going to come get his rifle. I made a part for a Star reloading press for a guy. I charged the guy $75 for the work. I thought he was going to have a heartattack. I broke a $85 endmill cutter making the part. The same guy brought in a Marlin 336 he said was misfiring. The gun was so filthy I striped it down and put it in the cleaning tank. Put it all back together and shot some factory ammo through it all of it shot. He came to get it and was all upset that I cleaned it and charged him for it. It seems he puts Johnson paste wax on the outside and he would have to do it all over again. Lesson learned. I have a whole list of questions I ask before I start work and price is one thing that is confirmed and written on job ticket.Thanks for your help.

jlyent
December 15, 2005, 10:41 AM
gun list dec 02 2005 issue lists KK&keen kutter as hardware store brands made by crescent arms. jim