PDA

View Full Version : My ugly little rifle

Marky
December 12, 2005, 04:24 PM
I cant forget the time I took my short M-44 Nagant to the plant I used to work at, before all of the terrorism stuff started that is. Anyhow everone brought in thier guns for all to check out, it was a rual place here in W.Va. and the plant was nothing but deer slaying, red-man chewin hunters. Well I brought my M-44 in there and those guys didnt know what to think, one of them said ''that ugly thing wouldnt kill a dog'', so I invited him to the farm after work that day. Well this guy who is a buddy and his friend I didnt know from Adam came out that day and I just walked out on the porch and blasted a round out of that Nag at a rather fat telephone pole, well it drilled a hole clean through it and the bullitt was never found (it was no-doubt one of the steele core rds.) but I didnt tell him that, considering he knew so much anyway. But to say the least when that thing went-off he about choked on his red-man wad, the report of a short M-44 Nag is pretty awakening to say the least w/the flash and all, and he said ''wow!, I dont think my 06 will do that'', but I proved my point. And the next day everyone wanted to know where I got it from and I never heard another peep about my ugly little old war guns again.

SavageCheesecake
December 13, 2005, 02:03 AM
Yeah they're pretty impressive. Big noise, big flash, loads of fun to shoot. Steel core should be able to punch through an engine bloc.

And whats this "Ugly" you're talkin about, eh?

Marky
December 13, 2005, 12:11 PM
Of course it's a matter of opinion but those Moison Nagants arent exactly pretty, and I was referring to the comments made by this ''gerat beer, oh sorry deer hunter (both are true). But the stocks and bolt configuration arent exactly works of art. They are works of art as far as functioning goes but place a 03 and a Nag together and I think you might see what I mean. Some of the stocks on the Nag's look like they were cut-out with a maddok. But I love them, always have always will.

SavageCheesecake
December 13, 2005, 03:06 PM
I happen to think they look great.

Marky
December 13, 2005, 03:24 PM
Well opinions are what makes the world go round, right friend? But like I said, lay an 03 and a Nag on the same table and compare them just as far as austetic's go, of course prettyness means nothing in the gun world but I think that the 03 is slightly better looking. I am a Moison-Nagant fan and just have two of them at the present, a Russian made M-44 and my favorite is my one from Finland, we checked it out and it is a Sako and it has like a 30'' barrell. Sometimes we take those things and old Mausers as well and do a more-or-less home refurbish job on them but im gonna leave this one alone because im worring about getting it off-zero when re-assembling it. Its easy to mess up accuracy when re-assembling old military guns because of tork-down specs on certain screws or fasteners. And I have always heard that the Finnish made Nag's were the better ones. But thats no-doubt personal opinion thing too. see ya man.

SavageCheesecake
December 13, 2005, 03:33 PM
The Finns made the best of everything except M44s, which they didnt make at all, leaving that title available for the Poles to grab. The Polish M44/50s are supposed to be the best M44s in the world (no machine marks on em at all, beautiful craftsmanship). The Poles made a good number of them that they never issued - they manufactured them and put them directly into storage in case the Cold War ever got Hot. It wasnt all that long ago that they shipped over a lot of these rifles, and I happened to have been lucky enough to get my hands on one. Its my favorite rifle. (http://img120.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc206&image=7b2de_DSCN1087.JPG) I'm quite proud of it.

I also have a Soviet M91/30 made in 1943, 98% bore. Very nice arsenal refurb rifle.

BloodyBucket03
December 13, 2005, 08:10 PM
I had a lot of people come up to me the last time I was at the public range in my area. I put a Leupold scope on mine and I was zeroing it at 100yds and it was so loud that about 5 guys came over to my bench and asked me " Hey what kind of rifle is that"? I told them a Mosin Nagant Carbine and it was so funny they said " a Mosin What"? So I told them it was an old Russian Surplus rifle.

Donaldo
December 13, 2005, 08:22 PM
Lay an `03 and a Mosin side by side and you get...variety.

The `03 is the slender, "dinner and a movie" nice girl.

The Mosin is a little havier set, but she's a cheap date and don't mind gettin' dirty!

impact
December 13, 2005, 09:29 PM
Gotta love working in a gun friendly environment. I don't envy those neon light cubical people:D.

Nicotine
December 13, 2005, 09:42 PM
On that subject, I used to work in the call center of DOLLAR/THRIFTY Rent-a-car and got pulled back in the office on more than one occasion to be lectured about bringing gun magazines(shotgun news, not a loaded uzi mag.) to work. The general feel there was much closer to being in high school in 1999 than in an adult working space. I'm not sure anyone else here is young enough to know, but in 1999 school systems went crazy with witch-hunting any students into guns.

Ac1d0v3r1d3
December 14, 2005, 02:08 AM
back in high school i got suspended for wearing a shirt with a technical drawing of a disassembled rifle on it. that was back in 2001

Snapperg
December 14, 2005, 05:46 AM
What kind of guns did the Finns make, and how do you recognize them?

Cpl Punishment
December 14, 2005, 06:03 AM
What kind of guns did the Finns make, and how do you recognize them?
Go here: http://7.62x54r.net/ and go to the identification section. It'll give you barrel lengths, markings etc.

As for being pretty, obviosly beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I happen to think Mausers and the close copies, the Springfields (flame suit on) are the plain Janes of the milsurp world.

Mosins (especially the 91, 91/30s, etc) are long and slender with a nice, curvy butt, just like a good woman.

Enfields are the somewhat chunkier women who, while not the graceful queens of the prom, will treat you well and stand with you all your life.

The SKS is the ugly duckling, that while often being a tempermental battleaxe, is the one woman you'd really want at your back when the SHTF at the local watering hole.
But I'm sure someone thinks they're pretty.

Marky
December 14, 2005, 11:32 AM
Without going upstairs and digging it out, mine says 'made in Finland' on it somewhere, thats why I bought that particular one.

essexcounty
December 14, 2005, 01:00 PM
Back in High School I'd toss a rifle in the backseat of my '51 Pontiac so I could chuck hunt after school. No one had a bird. One was a fifteen buck Remington '91 with the old Bronze Points. The year? 1962 or 63. Essex

Limeyfellow
December 14, 2005, 01:48 PM
The joys of military surplus. I find I love it when they have all these flashy new guns making little pop pop pop sound and you open fire with loud booms and a flash that silences the place. Nothing is so nice as an M44 or No5 Enfield after dusk.

Marky
December 14, 2005, 02:12 PM
Man you aint kidding, we had a so-called ''tanker model'' SMLE or Brit Enfield that was either made very short or was cut-down by someone somewhere, we never got to the bottom of that mystery, it was a very short Mk 3, it probally wasnt even 40'' O.L. but you talk about a drum splitting noise and light show (more like a lightning show) man that little thing was it. Normally when we go to the range we have something that makes everyone put thier guns down and check out and this gun shure did that, many times.

ElKabong
December 14, 2005, 04:05 PM
Marky,
I'm about 30 minutes east of you. Just got my C&R FFL, one more addiction to feed...lol!

ElKabong

Marky
December 14, 2005, 04:51 PM
If you have a FFL im gonna be looking for a colt. ser. 70 (new type) in a couple of days. E-mail me if your interested. And when that purchase is over were looking for a python, my son claims that they are making a python ''elite'' model and he will get one if they are out there. see ya

Dave R
December 14, 2005, 09:18 PM
I told them a Mosin Nagant Carbine and it was so funny they said " a Mosin What"? So I told them it was an old Russian Surplus rifle.Next time, just tell 'em its a "Noisy Magnet."

FirstFreedom
December 15, 2005, 10:34 AM
I just walked out on the porch and blasted a round out of that Nag at a rather fat telephone pole, well it drilled a hole clean through it and the bullitt was never found (it was no-doubt one of the steele core rds.) but I didnt tell him that, considering he knew so much anyway

Good story; tee hee. :)

Marky
December 16, 2005, 01:22 PM
Yea the hut is pretty sorry but the way they look at it is they can easier absorb the money the driver lost but not a law suit from whereever a bullitt would/might end up. Its all binnus these days isnt it. But I aint goin to pizza-gut again!:barf: ;)