PDA

View Full Version : Browning Hi-Power

jak
December 11, 2005, 11:18 AM
I am in the market for a Browning Hi-Power. I want a 9mm but some have advised getting a .40 since they are heavier (stronger) and converting to 9mm.

Are there versions, models or serial number ranges that are better than others, like pre-64 Winchesters in the rifle arena? Thanks to all.

Sir William
December 11, 2005, 02:29 PM
You are getting bad advice. There is only a question of forged v. cast frames. I have no problems with either. Buy a 9MM or buy the bulky 40 S&W. I like the classic 9MM.

steveno
December 11, 2005, 04:21 PM
I have a Belgium made high power that I have had for 20 years or so. I have put several thousand rounds through it without any sign of a durability problem. the only thing that I have had done to it is have Cylinder & Slide do their reliability package to it as the early guns were not very reliable with anything other than hardball ammo. I have never fired +P ammo in it as I don't see any reason to. at some point in time +P ammo will wear on any gun so why abuse it in the first place

tshadow6
December 11, 2005, 06:52 PM
the best BHP are the Belgium made pistols. FM of Argentinia are importing good quality clones also.

arnie08515
December 11, 2005, 10:31 PM
i just bought one from CDNN hi power in 9 and it works great. price is great. much less than a comparable 1911. brand new for 399.00. Its a great deal. oh also, it was made in Belgium not Argentina. also, am now thinking about the 40 in hi power from FN.

IndianaDean
December 11, 2005, 10:52 PM
I too have ordered a Hi Power from CDNN. It's an FN, which is the parent company for Browning. The only difference between the two is the brand.

Wrangler5
December 12, 2005, 12:17 AM
FYI, converting a 40 BHP to 9mm is a non-trivial task. The 40 barrel has 3 locking lugs matching comparable cutouts in the slide. The standard 9mm barrels have only 2 lugs, so you would have to get and fit a custom 9mm barrel. There may also be extractor issues, although some debate that. Buying and fitting a custom barrel to a 40 would cost a significant portion of the cost of a separate 9mm gun.

The 9mm BHP has been known for decades as one of the toughtest pistols ever made, and the current models use the same cast frame as the 40s. Unless you plan to feed it a large and constant diet of +P and +P+ ammo (in which case just buy a 40 and shoot standard stuff) the gun is likely to last longer than your lifetime.

ICE1210
December 12, 2005, 12:23 AM
I have both, love both. I don't think that the .40 is THAT much more bulky than the 9mm. If you have the money, buy both, you will not be sorry.

Tomas
December 12, 2005, 12:32 AM
I have two 9mm Brownings, and the .40.

My favorite is the .40.

These are all terrific, under-appriciated guns.

Tom

DHart
December 12, 2005, 04:50 AM
I have two Browning Hi-Powers in forty and one FN Hi-Power (from CDNN) in 9mm. They're all wonderful pistols. But I would give up the 9mm long before giving up either of my Browning HP's in forty. The BHP forty was specifically designed to handle the hot forty caliber with ease. They're really very nice to shoot and pack a lot of punch! Just know that ALL Hi-Powers can benefit greatly from a GOOD trigger job from someone like Don Williams of the ActionWorks.

Jim Dandy
December 12, 2005, 05:42 AM
I am in the market for a Browning Hi-Power.I have a LNIB Hi Power for sale in the classifieds. It's had a trigger job by Ted Yost with magazine disconnect removed.

Christian 812
December 12, 2005, 06:59 AM
Not cause I'm Belgian, but it's true that the best Hi Power WERE made in Belgium as the best Sig-Sauer are made in Germany. Now in the Belgian army, when they see "assembled in Portugal" on the slide ... they say s..t, I'm not lucky this time !

donkee
December 12, 2005, 09:23 AM
FN makes the Browning Hi-Power. The only real difference is a couple hundred dollars more for the Browning name on the side.....

Christian 812
December 12, 2005, 11:12 AM
Donkee,

You're totally wrong ... FN (Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre) didn't manufacture ALL the Browning High Power you can find on the market (brand new or second hand).

Christian 812
December 12, 2005, 11:47 AM
xxxx

jak
December 12, 2005, 12:09 PM
Thanks to all for your feedback.

When looking for one of these, there seems to be some premium placed on T-series or C-series serial numbers, as well as, other versions.

toast
December 12, 2005, 01:37 PM
I don't think he is saying all BHP were made by FN but the ones currently market as Browning are made by FN.

Gib
December 12, 2005, 03:28 PM
Bar-sto manufacturing makes a "drop-in" 9mm barrel (you have to specify you have a .40 cal)for the .40 cal hi-power with little or no fitting. It's about $200 if you go to their web site. That's if you want to shoot both cal. thru the same gun. I'd rather put up another $200 and have two diffent guns myself.
-Gib

arnie08515
December 12, 2005, 03:37 PM
I agree. I hear alot of problems with 1911s. I shot two and yes they were great and enjoyable. Very accuracte. One was springfield and the other was S & W. Felt great

But get on the Hi power forum. You almost never hear about a FTF or a FTE about a HP. Rarely does it come up. Look there are more countries using the HP than using the 1911. they must know something.

Get on the 1911 site and you hear stories of so called high quality 1911s with all kinds of problems that I don't even pretent understand. It has got to be frustrating to pay big dollars for a 1911 and then have a FTF or FTE. I don't want to deal with it. When you read the 1911 posts its things like "1000 rounds so far no problems" or shot 200 rounds today - only one FTF" or "Kimber service sucks" or soemthing else

I am getting a HP in 40 from FN at CDNB.

DHart
December 12, 2005, 04:32 PM
Hi-Powers are remarkably reliable functioning as compared to 1911's, though a great many 1911 function flawlessly... most of the are Colts.

Christian 812
December 12, 2005, 04:33 PM
Toast,

Wrong !

goto www.browning.be > products > pistols > HP

Brand news HP actually on the market ARE NOT all FN - Made in Belgium.
Assembled in Portugal makes the all difference, without talking of the various clones.

toast
December 12, 2005, 07:07 PM
My appologies Christian, you are obviously very passionate about this where as I frankly dont care. My point is, it is not worth it to me the pay an extra $200 locally to purchase one that says Browning on the slide.

IndianaDean
December 12, 2005, 09:18 PM
I don't like the .40 as a caliber at all, but I must say the Hi Power in .40 is the best one in that caliber I have ever fired.

Jim Dandy
December 12, 2005, 11:49 PM
Toast,

Wrong !

goto www.browning.be > products > pistols > HP

Brand news HP actually on the market ARE NOT all FN - Made in Belgium.
Assembled in Portugal makes the all difference, without talking of the various clones.Is English your first language?

DPris
December 13, 2005, 12:33 AM
Christian,
They are saying that Browning-marked Hi-Powers are made by FN.
Whether they are made and assembled entirely in Belgium or made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal, the major parts on Browning Hi-Powers are made by FN.
I used your link and looked at the Browning site, but I have no idea what you want us to see there. What were you trying to say?
Denis

Christian 812
December 13, 2005, 08:03 AM
Jim,
No, French is my first language ... do I make so many mistakes or can you hear my accent in my whriting ? :p

What I was trying to say is that the quality of the HP made in Portugal is not as good as the 100 % Belgian made. This following comments of 2 gunsmith (1 in the army / my guns shop). This doens't mean they're bad weapons.

DPris
December 13, 2005, 12:54 PM
Christian,
Your English is much better than my French, and your French may be much better than my English. :)
Denis

Jim Dandy
December 14, 2005, 10:23 AM
Jim,
No, French is my first language ... do I make so many mistakes or can you hear my accent in my whriting ?No, but occasionally there are differences in communication styles, slang, etc. that make it difficult to communicate the same point. I think there may be an argument brewing over what most everyone essentially agrees is true. Not a slam against you; my wife's first language isn't English either and I'm fairly certain mine isn't as good as it should be.

What I was trying to say is that the quality of the HP made in Portugal is not as good as the 100 % Belgian made. This following comments of 2 gunsmith (1 in the army / my guns shop). This doens't mean they're bad weapons.I do not agree. Having owned both "all" Belgian HPs and "Made in Belgium Assembled in Portugal" HPs, I do not share this point of view. (T-Series excepted.)

jak
December 14, 2005, 11:12 AM
Okay, what makes the T-series the exception?

Or the C-series for that matter?

Thanks, again.

Jim Dandy
December 14, 2005, 12:22 PM
The T-series were finished to an extremely high level of polish and fit. I don't know that that makes them any better shooting than Hi Powers of other eras, but they're damned sure pretty.

The C-series I'm not convinced are any better than any other Browning/FN Hi Power/GP 35. But that's me.

Christian 812
December 14, 2005, 06:20 PM
OK jim,

I allways wanted a full frame (and choosed a Sig-Sauer P226) and a CCW (and choosed a H&K P2000 SK) both in 9x19.

But what a shame for a Belgian not to add a HP to his collection ...!

So, how to recognize a GOOD Browning High Power (i.e. a T serie !) ??

OK, another shame for a Belgian to ask this on a 99,9% US forum !

Mannlicher
December 14, 2005, 06:37 PM
I have added another 9mm (a very nice 1973)HP to my modest collection. I have three 9mms now,including a beautiful 1942 model. I have one .40 S&W Practical.
The P-35 HP has always been my favorite handgun.

MikeOrick
December 15, 2005, 02:11 PM
FN makes all their HPs in Belgium. Some were assembled in Portugal from parts made in Belgium. The only significant difference is in your mind.

The newer cast frame HPs are actually more durable than the older forged frame HPs.

Back in 1989 Browning test fired 5,000 rounds of Rem 115 +P+ (not +P) ammo through a BHP w no signs of any problems at all. The BHPs made since late 93 (9 and 40) are even stronger.

The FBI used BHPs for their HRT until the early 90s. Many of those guns fired as much as 50,000 rounds. I know a guy w over 15,000 through his 40 BHP.

I like 'em a lot. Have 3 of them. Two made in 1990 and one made in 2005. All 9 minimeter. ;)

jak
December 16, 2005, 04:17 PM
Thanks agiann to all for your input.

I will look for a new cast frame Mark III and let the customizing begin.