PDA

View Full Version : A bolt stock

Bonstrosity
December 8, 2005, 01:58 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to get a Browning abolt stock w/ the thumbhole in it? It's the old style abolt, not the new one if that makes a difference. Anyone have any links I just can't seem to find a place with a thumbhole stock.

Clayfish
December 8, 2005, 02:12 PM
I think Midway or Brownells may have them but they will not be cheap. Probably between 3 and 5 hundred. You need to know if it's long or short action which is easy. What caliber is your rifle?

Smokey Joe
December 8, 2005, 02:35 PM
Boyd's has a "Ross Thumbhole Sporter" that they make for Browning A-Bolts. Price listed in their 6th edition catalog is $80.94, semi-inletted or "Virtual Inlet Part," short or long action. You get to sand and varnish the stock, which won't kill you, but which helps keep the price down. Boyd's has finishing kits also, or you can just buy medium, fine, and very fine sandpaper and a spray can of gloss or satin varnish at yr local hdwe store.

Contact Boyd's at: Boyd's Gunstock Industries, Inc, 25376 403rd St, Mitchell, SD 57301. Phone: 605-996-5011. Website: www.boydsgunstocks.com

If you're not sure about the bolt handle fitting, call Boyd's; the telephone people are pretty knowledgeable. IIRC, there is a "contact us" email address on the website, also. They were helpful and responsive to me.

I'm not connected with Boyd's in any way other than as a satisfied customer. Put one of their stocks on a Mauser; results look quite nice.

Bonstrosity
December 8, 2005, 04:18 PM
I have a .338 win mag so probably the long action. Boyds doesn't seem to have a working site right now so i'll have to check back later.

Ruger4570
December 8, 2005, 05:42 PM
I have used Lawson's in Tucson AZ. It is on Ritchey Blvd. I don't have the phone # and I don't think they are on the internet. They put up stocks in vearius stages of completion and Harry Lawson was pretty much an early pioneer of Thumbhole stocks.

shureshot0471
December 9, 2005, 12:58 AM
http://www.e-gunparts.com/ this might help lots of good parts:D :cool: :D http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?cat_id=035&type_id=032&value=001B&cattype=035032 here is the gun search the site