PDA

View Full Version : Any sxs or over unders that fire both chambers with one trigger pull?

expeditionx
December 7, 2005, 11:08 AM
Some one told me of this happening before. I have only used pump action shotguns so I havnt had any experience with double barrels.

n3twrkm4n
December 7, 2005, 12:25 PM
I will relate another story with a different type of gun. I owned a 22-250 that everytime you pushed the safety 'on' it would fire the gun. I had no clue where to start.

What I did was take the gun apart and CLEAN the internals and all the mechanical parts using some break pad cleaner. Man there was a lot of gunk in there.

I'd say try to clean it out first. The trigger assembly should come out rather easily I would think.

It's amazing what dirt and grime can do.

ChrisH
December 10, 2005, 01:05 PM
If you want a double that can fire both barrels at the same time, get one with two triggers. A nice used Stevens/Savage 311 will do that cheaply enough. Hold on tight!
If you are asking if an unwanted "doubling" is common, I had a Russian
new Baikal 12ga. SxS with single trigger that would fire both barrels if the barrel selector was not pushed fully over to one side or the other.
Another gun that doubled was a cheap South American "Boito" import, an old K-mart marked 20ga. sxs. It double fired because the recoil of the first trigger pull tripped the second sear. Again, both are hardware store cheapies in my opinion.

K80Geoff
December 10, 2005, 08:24 PM
A true double is quite painfull. What Chris decsribed was a "Fan Fire" one barrel firing immediately after the other. Not as painfull!

OkieCruffler
December 11, 2005, 08:50 AM
I had a cute little spanish 20g double that the recoil from the first shot would cause the pin to fall on the second barrel. Not terribly painful, but annoying nonetheless.

Casp_A
December 11, 2005, 08:57 PM
I got my twin-trigger Baikal SxS for the specific purpose of doubling. Leaves a nice bruise. :D

Dfariswheel
December 11, 2005, 11:47 PM
Doubling has always been a problem with double guns.

The usual cause is the shooter pulling the front trigger, and under recoil his finger slipping off and inadvertently pulling the rear trigger.
This is why most shooters learned to pull the rear trigger first, and why on many custom British double guns, the rear trigger fired the more open choke first.

The second cause is a mechanical problem in the action.
Some causes are fouling, gummed up old lube, swollen wood interfering with the action, or worn parts that allow the second barrel to "jar off" under recoil.

There are several mentions in books of African hunters suffering a "double" when firing very large caliber African double rifles.

One famous case was described by Sir Stanley Baker.
He described firing his 4-bore double rifle and having it double.

The 4-bore was a black powder double rifle that fired 1/4 POUND lead slugs.

Baker was a HUGE man, but he said the recoil nearly did him in.

Ares45
December 12, 2005, 04:15 PM
My Dads got a Beretta o/u 28ga that's gone crazy as of late. We were on vacation hunting grouse when it started firing both barrels at once. Should of seen the look on the old man's face when both barrels lit at the same time. Priceless! Grouse didn't care for it much either, he's DOA.

Since Dad knows how to shoot it and that's about it, I was appointed to investigate. Detail stripped it and gave it a good cleaning. It was real dirty and I figured cleaning out the firing pins would cure it. No Joy. It's been at the smithy for over a month now. Still no idea what's going on.

Lesson Leaned: Always bring a BUG. Dad spent the better part of a week shooting my back-up Benneli Monty 20ga and I haven't seen it since then, except to clean it.