PDA

View Full Version : SIG 226- Value?

rangerE32
December 5, 2005, 01:06 PM
Hi All. I am new to this forum and am not sure if I have posted to the correct section. I am a long-time Sig user, but not yet an owner. My duty weapon at work is a P228.

I was thinking of purchasing a P226, as a friend of mine is looking to sell his and buy another gun. I was hoping to get the "good buddy" discount, however I do not want to low-ball him too much on the price. I really want the gun, and can't really afford it, but I hesitate on the chance to get one at a good price, especially one in like-new condition. I need a personal weapon for off-duty training. He asked me to give him a reasonable offer, and is willing to offer it to me 1st before putting it up for sale. Maybe you guys can give me an idea of what this setup is worth, and what a reasonable offer might be.

This is what he is offering:
-Sig P226, 9mm (<90 rounds fired, looks brand new), paid $715 NEW in TN
-3-dot Trijicon night sights
-nitron finish
-factory short trigger (any of you guys find this beneficial?)
-1- 17rd. mag. (LEO stamped), purchased afterward [does this mag. hang out the bottom of the grip because it is so long?]
-2- 10 rd.mag. (I find this a problem because I need at least 3 high-cap. 15-rd mags for service carry. What is the going price for 15-rd.mags?)

BTW, he originally stated he might let it go for $625, but I think he might want a little more after he found his receipt and discovered what the current price of a new 226 was going for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

craigntx
December 5, 2005, 01:11 PM
used 226s can be found for $450- 525 in my neck of the woods
id shop around if i were you

rangerE32
December 5, 2005, 01:26 PM
I have seen them as low as $550 or so, but they are definitely used, or refurbs. The gun I am referring to has less than 2 boxes fired through it and is "like-new" for all intensive purposes, and has night sights and a high-cap. Everything I have seen that low has only 10-rd. mags and standard sights, with plenty of holster "rash". I need to have night sights and high caps for duty-carry. If you have seen Sigs like this for that cheap...please make a suggestion for where I should shop. Thanks.:confused:

Jehzsa
December 5, 2005, 02:45 PM
The best deals out there are the certified pre-owned. Around $499.00 at CDNN, with tiny blems as advertised. But they do not include the extras yours has. A new 226 with 2 15 rd mags they sell at $600.00. So I'd say, buy it.

15 rd mags at CDNN from $24.99(like new) to $34.99(new). Factory mags.

MostToysWins
December 5, 2005, 09:17 PM
I got my CPO P226 for $455.00 with night sights and 4 15 shot mags after haggling a bit at a gun show.

I shop A LOT before purchasing to insure I get the best deal possible.

You can find a CPO in like new condition for $450-$550.

jake9
December 5, 2005, 10:05 PM
I didn't realize they were so cheap. There's a gun show here this weekend. If I see one, I'm thinking of getting one for my old man for xmas.

rangerE32
December 5, 2005, 10:20 PM
MostToysWins,

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but what does "CPO" mean?
Thanks.:confused:

pittbug
December 5, 2005, 10:29 PM
CPO = Certified Pre-Owned

As a point of reference, check out http://www.ordnanceoutsellers.com/page1.htm. The guys over at sigforum.com rave about them.

rangerE32
December 6, 2005, 05:13 AM
Thanks. That website has some good deals. I looked around today and found a place selling a couple NEW 226s and 229s with rail, night sights and 2 15-rd mags for $695. Almost makes me think the price on the box was mislabelled...

craigntx
December 6, 2005, 07:39 AM
ya, you can enjoy de-virginizing it:D :D

rangerE32
December 7, 2005, 05:22 AM
You know it Craig! I think I have my economic situation settled, and regardless of the deal I get, I will soon become a SIG OWNER. It is my birthday today and about time I find myself a present:D

craigntx
December 7, 2005, 08:22 AM
happy b-day

what ya get from the wives?:cool:

rangerE32
December 7, 2005, 03:44 PM
Polygamy is not my game. And not being married, I did not receive a gift from a wife. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what I am getting from my girlfriend...:D

craigntx
December 7, 2005, 07:35 PM
but what a game it'd be, huh:) :) :)

hexcentric1
December 12, 2005, 11:27 PM
sig 226 with night sights and 10rd mags would probably go for around $750 new. so used at $625 is decent. the 17rd will stick out, extra mags are around $40 each. the ten rounders are just about worthless for resale.

you're not really getting a deal, but you're getting a gun who's history you know. and you're not overpaying.