PDA

View Full Version : Home Defense

Big_ted46
December 5, 2005, 12:33 PM
Im looking for a reliable yet somewhat inexpensive 12 gauge for home security. Ive been looking at a mossberg model 500 persuader, and so far so good. Found a few of them brand new for $250, seems like a deal compared to the MSRP on mossberg's website, which is about $347 (one i found is even including the pistol grip kit :D ) Any comments or suggestions please let me know. thanks.

Glock35JHP
December 5, 2005, 12:55 PM
I have the Mossberg 500 20" barrel. It's my home security gun. I tried the pistol grip with slugs, buckshot, and birdshot. I could hit the paper but boy after a box or two of magnum loads I had a sore hand and put the stock on. Good gun in my opinion. Yeah that is a good price I paid $350 for mine.

craigntx
December 5, 2005, 01:01 PM
check the pawn shops

i found an 870 super mag for $150

also found a 20 in bbl for $55:)

Para Bellum
December 5, 2005, 02:44 PM
pumping and firing a follow-up acurately and fast requires a lot of training. Get a short double barrel ("coach gun / bounty hunter") like eg one of these:

http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/tb_guns-lg.jpg

what you can't handle/stop with two 12ga loads and a handgun at your side is uncontrollable.
doble-barrels can't malfunction like pump-guns or semi-autos
you can't forget to pump a double-barrel
follow-ups are extremely quick with a double-barrel
double-barrels take any ammo

consider that.

HappyGunner
December 5, 2005, 03:57 PM
I read in this forum that Mossberg uses a Non-Metal trigger and safety.This got me again looking at Remington's shotgun's I used to have a Rem.870 pump and sold it when I had a brain hicup anyway I found that I would now be better served with a Rem.11-87 semi-auto Police 12ga shotgun.
http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/1187.htm

Death from Afar
December 5, 2005, 05:11 PM
Parabellum has raised a good point. I kinda am inclined to think that an SBS is a better choice if you simply are never going to practice. If you plan to shoot it, get a pump action 12 bore and you will never look back.

Pistolenschutze
December 5, 2005, 07:41 PM
I had good luck with the Winchester 1300 pump. Very inexpensive and quite reliable for "close encounters of the personal kind." ;)

eng2
December 8, 2005, 09:29 PM
you can't go wrong with a 500. it's my home gun. their work horse's

ron73644
December 9, 2005, 12:52 AM
That's non-metal trigger GUARD, and so do the comparable models of the 870.

XavierBreath
December 9, 2005, 01:15 AM
The Mossy 500 is my favorite, followed by the Winnie 1300. Check pawnshops. Mossberg 500s go for $100-140 used (http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2005/09/home-defense-shotguns.html) in most places, and they last forever.

106RR
December 9, 2005, 04:47 AM
Few people can hit with a pistol grip shotgun. Go with a major brand and a regular stock.
Remember the consequences to your family will be severe if you lose the fight so make sure you don't miss.

Samuel2001
December 9, 2005, 06:37 AM
I dunno for a house/non-combat zone gun I would have no issues with having a plastic/synthetic/non-metal trigger guard. It's probably just going to sit in a corner or in the closet, and I dont think they mind. ;)

Mossberg used to produce an entry level/price shottie based on the 500, but sold under the Maverick name. If you were to find a dealer that sold them they were a little cheaper than the 500. The only dif was that the 500 had dual bars and the MAverick had a single bar. Again in a gun that is going to be fiered once or twice a year it's a non-issue.

Someone has already mentioned PAWN SHOPS, they are a good place to find an entry level shottie for a song. My car gun is a Rem 870 that I picked up at a PS for under $150, and I've seen Mossbergs for around $120-140 too.

Good luck.

P.S.
Go shopping and if you find something weird or something you might like (Brand/Type) for home defence, come back and ask what we think. Ods are the guys and gals here are going to give you more than enough info for you to make an educated descision. :)

Samuel2001
December 9, 2005, 06:41 AM
Oh, and I forgot to mention, STAY AWAY FROM PISTOL GRIP SHOTGUNS!
PG shotties are the most uncomfortable guns out there, they HURT and its pretty hard to aim 'em too.

antediluvianist
December 9, 2005, 07:25 AM
" Mossberg used to produce an entry level/price shottie based on the 500, but sold under the Maverick name. If you were to find a dealer that sold them they were a little cheaper than the 500. The only dif was that the 500 had dual bars and the MAverick had a single bar. Again in a gun that is going to be fiered once or twice a year it's a non-issue."

They still do (make the Maverick). Bought mine earlier this year and it came with dual bars so I guess they improved it.

Synthetic stock. A rather light shotgun, but for the occasional shooter, it is just fine.

Musketeer
December 9, 2005, 09:25 AM
I got a Remington 870 Express with an 18 1/2" barrel from The Sports Authority, new, for under $250. This was just a month ago. Stick with something reliable and know, especially if you are very rarely going to shoot it.

Gabby Hayes
December 12, 2005, 01:01 PM
Another vote for the Maverick Security 88 [ http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88security.htm ]. It's the budget version of Mossberg's Persuader Model 500, with parts made at the company's plant in Torreon, Mexico, and assembled across the border in Eagle Pass, Texas. The major difference between the Maverick and Mossberg is that the Mossberg has a safety mounted on the top rear of the receiver. The Maverick has a cross-bolt safety mounted in front of the trigger like the Remington 870. Some claim that the fit and finish on the Maverick isn't the same as on the Mossberg, but that's what you'd expect on a "budget" product. Mavericks list for $199 and routinely sell for $150 or less. The Mossberg Persuader 500 lists for $357 and sells for around $225 or less in many places. If cost is a big consideration, and you're not interested in impressing your friends with a looker, check out the Maverick.

oletymer
December 12, 2005, 04:40 PM
If you really want a home defense weapon, don't look for something cheap. It amazes me how many people look for the cheapest thing they can find to defend themselves and family. Buy a really good quality gun and forget pistol grips, heat shields and the other unnecessary crap. The bad guys won't care what the gun looks like. Only the police and a jury if you have to go to trial will care and look upon you as a nut in most cases.