PDA

View Full Version : Savage 340 30/30

Buzzard
December 3, 2005, 03:13 PM
I traded a Rossi 357 for a Savage 340 30/30 bolt action today, it has a synthetic (sp) stock, looks like trunk paint...kinda gray and black.
It is in Great shape, any one know anything about these rifles....
Thanks

Gewehr98
December 3, 2005, 05:44 PM
Remington made a similar rifle with their Model 788, and Winchester had a short run of Model 54 rifles also in .30-30.

Underneath that black paint, you'll find a plain but functional wood stock.

The detachable box magazine is sized for factory flat-nose .30-30 ammo, but if you can reload, the Speer 110 gr spire points work very nicely. Otherwise, you can also single-load longer spire/spitzer point bullets, and really find out what the .30-30 can deliver in performance.

I miss my Savage 340. My ex-wife knows it, too. :(

mdhunter
December 3, 2005, 10:59 PM
I used to have a Savage 340 in .30-30, topped with a Weaver 1.5-4.5x variable scope - man that thing shot great, even with factory ammo! I used 150 grain Core Lokts, and coule really group well at 100 yards. Shot my first deer ever, with that gun. Not enough recoil to mention, if you're a seasoned hunter or shooter!

I sold ot to a buddy back in 1988, out of all the guns I've ever sold or given away, I miss that one the most, hands down. Good luck with your, you're gonna love it.

Michael

roy reali
December 3, 2005, 11:23 PM
I had one some years back. You will see how smart the folks that say a .30-30 is inaccurate are. If you reload, you can use pointed bullets. My rifle had a fondness for Nosler Ballistic Tips. It would group the 150 grainers at around an inch at one hundred yards all day.

SavageSniper
December 3, 2005, 11:29 PM
Nice trade. If you find it "aint to your fancy" let me know. I know someone ( cough-me-cough) that would love to have it;)

essexcounty
December 4, 2005, 11:31 AM
I've had two over the years, but I've had experience with others. I always thought it was a great rifle for the money. Mr. Brewer did a fine job designing it. A hunting buddy (long gone) had a pair. One in 30-30 and another in .222. They responded well to handloading. Enjoy..........Essex

Alfonso
December 4, 2005, 08:38 PM
My father obtained one in the 60's with a bad stock.He replaced the stock with a " Robert's " replacement stock.That style stock was all the rage back then.When he passed I inhaireted the 340.All he ever shot in it was handloads with 150 gr spitzers in it.It was reasonably accurate ( stock sights ) and never had any failiers of any kind.... an intresting rifle to be sure.

Buzzard
December 4, 2005, 11:06 PM
this is a picture of this savage that was traded for.....can't wait to go shoot it .

dm1333
December 5, 2005, 12:01 AM
Buzzard,
Those guns are VERY unsafe!!!!! Please don't shoot it!!!!!! I run a Human Society like charity for those old guns. Send me your address, I'll send you some money for it and we'll get that dangerous little puppy off the streets! The real deal is that I looked at one a few months ago, went home to think about it and the next day it was gone. A Mosin Nagant M38 and getting the grips redone on my Glock have made the pain a little better but not much. I still want one badly.

beenthere
December 5, 2005, 05:43 PM
I had one and loved it. I gave it to my son and he then later traded it toward a 7MM Rem Mag. Gnash, Gnash. Wish I had it back.

Jack O'Conner
December 6, 2005, 05:01 PM
We kept one under the seat of our ranch pick up for many years. But I'm certain it was a Stevens and not Savage. This rifle was bumped around a whole lot but the factory iron sights could take it. I couldn't guess how many coyotes were blown away with this rifle. I'm not sure what became of it.

In the early 1980's Savage offered this model with pressed checkering and white line spacers. Yet the trigger guard remained as ugly as before. They're not commonly found.
Jack

jrfoxx
December 6, 2005, 09:40 PM
Heres a pic of the one I inherited. Its from the late early to mid 50's. great gun, eats any ammo i feed it, and is pretty accurate even with the very rudimentary sights on this old one (dont have the heart to have holes drilled in it for a scope :()
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/jrfoxx/30-30savage.jpg