PDA

View Full Version : So what's the deal with Bersa Thunder .380?

1inthechamber
November 29, 2005, 10:32 PM
I just noticed how inexpensive they are. I've read some things on Bersa's on here and also on Bersatalk. Since I started out with a .22, this seems to be the next step up in getting familiar with handguns in general. I do plan on owning a 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP in the future.

I think I'd be on the right path buying a Bersa and gradually work my way up to more powerful rounds, right? Or maybe it's just personal preference?

springmom
November 29, 2005, 10:54 PM
I have the Bersa Thunder .380 and I carry it far more often than I do my Springfield XD-40. It is concealable, while the XD is pretty clunky and hard to hide for me. I wish it carried more ammunition in its clip, but then it would be clunky too, I guess.

Springmom

dave0520
November 29, 2005, 11:08 PM
Doesn't Bersa make a 9mm the same size as the thunder? That would be a good step up in power. Just use the .22 for cheap practice, but make sure to still practice with your .380/9mm/.40/.45 whatever you choose. If you don't you will have a better chance of developing a flinch.

Springmom, that correct term is magazine. A clip is a device used to load a magazine which then feeds the gun.

Garand Illusion
November 29, 2005, 11:18 PM
I've got the Bersa thunder 9mm ultra compact. Sweet gun that has fired near a thousand rounds without a single hiccup or problem. Only slightly larger than the .380, but that little bit of bulk does make a big difference when concealing. Fit is excellent, finish is decent. Couldn't imagine a better value.

Biggest problem with the 9mm UC is the ridiculous price of mags. No one else makes them, and Bersa wants like $50 for them.

There will soon be a 13 round mag out (supposedly). I am waiting for that to buy another mag. But having 13 rounds in that small of package will be GREAT!!!

BTW -- I think a 9mm is a fine gun to work up to from a .22. A .380 is just too darned expensive to shoot!

1inthechamber
November 30, 2005, 12:39 PM
I'm not too much worried on stopping power or how many rounds can be put into a magazine. I really don't mind loading a magazine after 8 shots. As far as ammo is concerned, some are the same price as 9mm give or take a few quarters. In fact, Big 5 Sporting Goods is advertising the .380 Auto at $9.99/50, same as 9mm (CCI Blazer). On MidwayUSA, the cheapest ammo for both calibers (American ???) is only a $0.50 difference with the .380 Auto at $6.49 I believe.

So I'm thinking the Bersa would be a better choice given the price is very reasonable from my standpoint.

fungusmunkey
November 30, 2005, 04:01 PM
I know two different people that their only pistol is a Bersa 380.
Both swear by it for reliability, comfort and size.
Not to mention the great price!

Logs
November 30, 2005, 04:28 PM
I have the Bersa .380 and Thunder .40 cal. Both are good guns for the money.

michael t
November 30, 2005, 07:32 PM
I have a Bersa nice little pistol I also have a PPK/S in my pocket and a Colt Mustang. Did I tell you I like a 380. I even gave one to my X wife as she was leaving Thats whan a nice guy Iam.
Buy the Bersa in 380 . you can get the 9,40,45 later.
http://bersatalk.com

Garand Illusion
November 30, 2005, 11:08 PM
In terms of Ammo cost ...

I think the .380 American ammo on Midway USA is bulk remanufactured (reloaded). I know many disagree on this, but I never shoot any reloaded ammo through an SD gun. I've gotten some lectures on this from gunsmiths I've run in to, though admittedly they're talking about Gun Show bulk reloads (which I have been known to buy for my .38).

At Walmart you can get 100 rounds of 9mm for about $11.00 brand new.

When I was looking at .380 vs. 9mm the difference in the price of new ammo was huge -- enough so that it's already paid off the difference in weapons. YMMV.

I'm a big fan of the Bersa .380, but it is based on it's clean PPK looks and what friends who own/fire them tell me. I've never actually owned or fired one. Maybe someday I'll have the bucks to add another gun to my meager collection ...

but the 9mm is pretty cool too!

http://www.bersa-llama.com/img/guns/bersa_thunder9_SS_large.gif

Dead-Nuts-Zero
November 30, 2005, 11:51 PM
I have a Bersa .380 and it's one of my favorites. I buy Magteck .380 ammo from Midwayusa.com at about 6.50 give or take as it changes (1000 rds,) and it works perfect in my Thunder. I save the brass as I am all but ready to start reloading them. I think with the price of the new Magtech ammo and the bonus of keeping the new brass it's a good buy for me. I have also bought ProMag mags. for my bersa (three of them) and I have had ZERO problems with them. At 13 - 14 bucks ea. for the mags from Midway, I am very happy with the whole package.

As for .380, I have no problem with it. I have learned to enjoy shooting it in my Bersa. I have shot truck loads of .38's and I enjoy the .380. However if I had a 9mm I may like that too. Bersa has them all now and it's just a matter of time before I own the .22, 9mm and perhaps the .40 and .45. Great price now, just hope they are still 200 or so when i'm ready to buy again.

I don't think you will be sorry you bought a Bersa at or about 200 bucks.

H&K4Life
December 1, 2005, 01:48 AM
Is there sombody out there buying .380 50-round box factory ammo for under $7? (if so, where)

The huge price difference (at least from the stuff that I buy at Walmart) keeps my Bersa at home, rather than at the range where it belongs.

someon please help me get my Bersa out of hibernation!

fourrobert13
December 1, 2005, 01:57 AM
I have two of these in .380. They are both the Firestorm models, I think the only difference is the grips. The one in the pic is my backup gun for work and my wife has one for concealed carry. Please note that this Bersa has been refinished ti suit my personal taste. It was two tone black/stainless.

springmom
December 1, 2005, 07:58 AM
Springmom, that correct term is magazine. A clip is a device used to load a magazine which then feeds the gun.

I can't believe I did that :o :o :o I knew that. I did.

Springmom

Old Shooter
December 1, 2005, 08:52 AM
The Bersa is a great gun, that was my choice for my daughter when she decided to carry.

BUT if the idea of a .380 is so that you will make a gradual step towards larger calibers, then I would pass over the .380 for a 9mm. The 9 is going to be cheaper to shoot and the recoil will not be that much different then the .380.

Dead-Nuts-Zero
December 1, 2005, 03:57 PM
Is there sombody out there buying .380 50-round box factory ammo for under $7? (if so, where)

The huge price difference (at least from the stuff that I buy at Walmart) keeps my Bersa at home, rather than at the range where it belongs.

someon please help me get my Bersa out of hibernation!

H&K4Life........Try the link below. Maybe this will help get your .380 out of the barn. :cool:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=186174

crebo
May 3, 2007, 05:20 PM
I bought a Bersa 9 uc for my wife. She has small hands and is left handed so it was the perfect choice (ambi lock and safety is nice on the bersa).

It's one of the few guns she can operate easily and safely.

I highly recommend this gun.

Ivory Grips
May 3, 2007, 08:58 PM
The Bersa .380 ACP is my concealed carry weapon of choice. I carry no other gun, don't need to. I've complete confidence in this gun. Reliable, accurate, and with those Walther lines, it's a hard gun not to like.

I.G

elprofeloco
May 4, 2007, 01:22 PM
I've had a few .380 semi-autos: Walther PPK, two Colts, etc.

The Bersa was by far the best for me: more reliable than the Walther or Colts I had; accurate; ergonomically great for me. It was about half the cost of of the others and I'd still get the Bersa even if cost were the same.

I concealed carry daily and the Bersa gets it's share of carry time, along with a SW .38spl AirWeight and a Taurus PT111 9mm. I like 'em small, light, and reliable for CCW.

Bersa .380 is literally a lot of bang for the buck.

johndavid400
May 4, 2007, 03:06 PM
for $199 nib, it is hard to imagine a gun that is as well-built and reliable as the Bersa .380. It was my second pistol (after a Walther P22) of about 12 different calibers/brands, and has proven to be one of the best that I have owned. I have put well over 6000 rounds through it and have *never* had a single malfunction. The only other gun that I have owned to be able to say that is the SA XD-9 which was a bit more $$$. Even my Glock 19 had 3 malfunctions over the 2 years I owned it.

Dead-Nuts-Zero
May 4, 2007, 03:24 PM
If you can buy one for 200 NIB, don't take time to think about it, snatch it up and run. I am seeing them at 225-245 lately (still a good buy IMO). Did see a special about a mounth ago at 199.

Bersa .380 is my only cary gun other than a 2" S&W when I want to change off for a few days.

I did have an issue with it when I first got it :eek: I had to send it back under warranty. The service was fantastic, I had it back in my pocket within about 6 days as I recall. However, my research did find that there are a few that have been returned for about the same reasons.

Works perfect now with about 2,000 + rds. :D

DBski
May 4, 2007, 03:44 PM
I liked the Thunder 380 so much, I went out and bought it's big bore brother, the mini 45. Have not had any type of problems with either one. Good firearms.