PDA

View Full Version : Best Lubricants

TEX
February 15, 1999, 06:27 PM
A World of Confusion; does anyone know of any one or any outfit that has done extensive testing of all the different wonder products on the market as far as lubrication, protection and staying power (as it applies to firearms) Obviously a dry lubricant is a great idea because it won't collect as much dirt as something wet, but is that really a big plus as an exchange for less lubrication. Theres; Sweet Shooter, Sentry moly products, Corrosion-X, Bill Wilson lubricants, Remington dry lube, Beoing's shield product, Militec, etc, etc, etc, ...... Which is actually best in terms of friction reduction, protection and staying power. I have one friend who swears by Mobile 1 engine oil. His guns seem to work fine, but what do I know. Any comments for a seeker of the truth.

Jim V
February 15, 1999, 06:45 PM
Some time back GUNTESTS did a series of tests on the various gun lubes. I don't remember when it was however. As I remeber they tested the lubes at 70 F and around 32 F and rated then for ease of movement. Tere were tests of how well the lubes lasted with water sprays etc too. They also tested for staining of clothing. Motor oil seemed to work as well as anything else as I remember but it stained clothing so it just may not be the best thing to use on your CCW pistol if you wear expensive clothing. :D

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

George Stringer
February 15, 1999, 07:28 PM
Tex, I don't know of any actual studies or tests. I guess over the years I've tried just about everything on the market. For the past several months I've been using the Tetra line of products with no complaints. George

JA
February 16, 1999, 09:38 PM
Been using mil-surplus clp for 10 years no rust on any of my guns. Some sit in safe for 3 or 4 years at a time no rust.Humidity is high here in Arkansas year round. I get them out of safe handle them and put them back and don't worry about it. Corrosive ammo is no match for clp.

Walt Welch
February 16, 1999, 10:42 PM
The Gun Tests articles (there were actually three) were as I recall, nearly 10 years ago. They unfortunately did not include any of the thin film agents, such as Sentry's Tuf-Glide (liquid, grease, or powder form), or Corrosion-X's products.

These products actually penetrate rust and corrosion and bond to the undamaged metal beneath. I have not tested these products for lubricity, but have some on order, and will let you know how they get along with my 1911's. Walt

pat
February 17, 1999, 03:42 AM
any one try dry slide? i like it in my ar15 and sw659 no problems at all just a little messy( its a black molly in a liquid form that dries quick leaving a black coat that is tenacious and slick)

Walt Welch
February 17, 1999, 12:35 PM
I have some Molykote-G, a product that the aerospace industry was using back in the '60's it is a grease, not a dry coat, but does slick up 1911 rails very well. The problem, of course, is that is black, and gets on everything.

I still use it on my GC rails, as I am using a 10 lb spring, shooting 8,000 cup loads, and there is not overmuch energy to cycle the pistol. Walt

Ivanhoe
February 18, 1999, 01:33 AM
Pat; I've tried the DriSlide stuff once
on one of my Glocks; one thing I found
is that it won't stick to the hard-chromed
frame rails. its hard to tell whether
it was staying in the slide grooves,
so I'm trying Tetra grease now.

I have a bottle of both the DriSlide
and the Sentry Solutions, and they sure
appear and feel similar. however, the
DriSlide stuff is about a buck a fluid
ounce, while the Sentry stuff is about
$8 an ounce.

where on your AR-15 do you use the
DriSlide stuff? it seems like it would
be a natural for the outside of the
bolt carrier, but hard to tell about
other areas...

motorep
February 18, 1999, 06:28 PM
I use FP-10, it holds its viscosity at greater extremes of temperature than anything else I've tried. I use it on all my guns- ARs, shotguns, 1911's.

Walt Welch
February 18, 1999, 10:52 PM
Tuf-Glide runs about $6 or $7 for a half-ounce applicator bottle, which has a long steel capillary tube for proper application.

A refill bottle of Tuf-Glide, however is only about $14, and this is for eight oz., 16 times as much.

Discount Knives has the Sentry products, and good prices on them. http://www.discountknives.com/index.html

Hope this helps, Walt

PS, motorep, what type product is FP-10? WW

motorep
February 19, 1999, 05:19 PM
FP-10 is a Shooters Choice product, as I said I like it because of the wide variance of weather conditions we shoot in here in Colorado. Our range is about 15 miles from the Continental Divide, temperature ranges can be extreme.

Mike Spight
February 22, 1999, 05:20 PM
TriFlo seems to work just fine.

Nakano
March 12, 1999, 12:16 AM
If you have to go with a do it all "CLP" type, Eezox gets my vote. Originally geared towards firearms maintenance, it works well in cutlery applications as well. Accelerated salt spray tests reviews were done in a past TK magazine by Steve Dick(?) and Eezox came out tops. I use it quite frequently when I can' t lug a mess of cleaners, preservatives, and lubes and have been very pleased with its use.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."

WESHOOT2
March 19, 1999, 09:47 PM
Best luck in thirteen different guns (revolvers and autos) is Break-Free CLP. (and I have every different kind of lube ever invented!)

jimc
March 20, 1999, 11:30 PM
my sig,s like triflow and militec-1 likewise the glocks and ar,s also .on the military rifles(m-14, fn,s etc)hi-temp grease w/molyhoweverthehellitspronounced after i use up that stuff am giving synthetic motor oil a hard look after all it is advertised as full spectrum temp. viscosity without any breakdown and at $2.00 a quart!

Duncan
August 26, 1999, 11:53 AM
For my money, Ed's Red is tops. I add in 1/3 the amount of lanolin called for.

And when there is way too much crap in the action, out comes a little brake or carb cleaner followed by judicious use of otters gun oil.

Duncan

Jawbone
August 28, 1999, 01:43 PM
Dear gentlemen; Iam a gunsmith out in the out back near the wittington center in New Mexico. We are at about 6600ft. above sea level on the flats and about 12000 ft. at some of the foot hills. the temp. ranges from damn hot to freeze your tootsies off all in a 50 mile range. this year as been very wet about 8 inches of rain so far. Joe Fazio in New berry park Ca. has a product called Gun Coat. It is a bake on process that goes on about 10 one thou. thick. will withstand over 1000 hrs. saltspray, and comes in many different colors. His cleaning products are top shelf also. The name is KG industries 1-800-348-9558. or www.kgproducts.net (http://www.kgproducts.net) . The south africian government,the philippine government as well our own use his products! Nosler,Winchester bullets, browning,American Mags,Mossbueg. to name a few use the stuff. Tell Joe,Buffalo bob from New Mexico sent you. P.S. Iam jawBone's Gun smith. Any help I can offer please E-mail!

WD
September 2, 1999, 12:01 AM
I use wilson's ultimalube with good results. I use the oil and universal grease.

Dakotan
September 2, 1999, 01:15 AM
I've tried everything at one time or another, until I found Eezox. I have'nt used anything else in 10 years and as long as they make it, I'll be using it. Amazing stuff. Absolutely the best for humid climates, and has incredible lubricity. Put a few drops on your slide/bolt, work the action a few times, and you'll switch.
Take Care- Dakotan

bear
September 2, 1999, 01:12 PM
Seems like I'll try almost anything, but keep comimg back to using a little Kendals wheel bearing grease on the slides, JP Enterprise's gun oil and sometimes Break Free in the spray can for the rest except the sear assly and JP Ent has a lead based lubercant that seems to make the trigger a little smoother. fwiw Al

blades67
September 3, 1999, 12:44 AM
I've been using Hoppes #9 solvent for cleaning and Snake Oil(r) for lubrication. Snake Oil(r) was originally developed for surgical instruments. (A dab will do ya! ;))

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

September 6, 1999, 08:09 AM
To my way of thinking, regular maintenance is more important than any "wonder" lubes. Most people that read these boards are not going to get any benefit from special lubes anyhow as they don't abuse their weapons.

The people who need these hi-tech items are the people who will never hear about them. Break free has served me extremely well in many different environments and until it fails in some area it's earned it's place with me.

Please don't take this as a condemnation of any products, I'm sure they all work very well, I just take too good a care of my weapons for them to be effective.

------------------
TJS