PDA

View Full Version : Savage .22 LR?

AndrewTB
November 20, 2005, 08:37 PM
I was just at walmart and found a Savage .22 LR that caught my eye for $99. I have never bought a rifle and not familair with savage to much. Any ideas if savage makes good stuff? If thats the case ill be buying one tommorrow. It has the synthetic stock but seems pretty nice. I was unable to get the gun model though.

esldude
November 20, 2005, 08:46 PM
Savage typically has good barrels and shoot more accurately than one might expect. I assume you were looking at a semi-auto model. Unless you specifically want semi, I would suggest a bolt action Savage. Those are surprisingly accurate. Shouldn't be much if any extra.

Semi-auto's can also jam sometimes until broken in a few hundred rounds. Some always do. Not really a specific complaint about Savage, but generally all rimfire semi-auto rifles.

Remmy
November 20, 2005, 08:48 PM
I know savage makes some good big bore rifles...id assume it carries over to a 22. But id be skeptical of buying a $99 rifle, new especially.

Hope you dont get discouraged if it is a lemon being your first rifle and all...

AndrewTB
November 20, 2005, 08:51 PM
I wouldnt get discouraged. But being $99 is a steal and I heard that Wally World generally has the same quality guns as in gun stores. I wont make a decision until I get more opinions.

BTW I Just found a link for the exact rifle: http://www.savagearms.com/64f.htm

esldude
November 20, 2005, 09:31 PM
To get a good cross section of opinion on the Savage, go to www.rimfirecentral.com where there is a Savage forum. Lots of info for you there.

WhiteFeather93
November 20, 2005, 09:59 PM
Savage is a excellent gun. I own a very simular .22 but mine is bolt action. I know a lot of people distrust savage because of its unexplanable low price. But it is explanable. They use different methods to get the same effect. Most savage rifles have free floated barrels. And this gives them a edge over the comp. As far as wal-mart guns go. I worked for them a while ago and I can tell you from experence that they only buy stuff when they can get it in bulk on sale. Does that mean that they sell bad guns? No, just in bulk. And all the guns are handled properly and they are stocked without being tossed around. (I used to spend most of my time in SG) So go ahead and get it. Everyone should a .22.:D

AndrewTB
November 20, 2005, 10:02 PM
Cool! I will put it on layaway and pay half off now and just give it to myself for christmas :D . That way I can possible fit an SKS into my budget too!

gfen
November 20, 2005, 11:35 PM
Model 64 or a Mk2-FXP?

I have the FXP from a year or so ago, and outside of the heavy trigger, its a dream to shoot. 20 minutes and a piece of brass later, and the trigger's not so heavy, and its still a dream to shoot.

joab
November 21, 2005, 12:01 AM
You're talking about the black plastic magazine fed model, I believe M64, right?

I bought the same gun from one of my pawn shop customers in what looked to be unfired condition for $29.

The guys at the shop couldn't find it in the Blue Book and it looked cheap so they marked it at the default minus $10 price.
I bought it because it was too cheap not to

Dead on accurate and reliable for the 500 cheap Remington bulk pack rounds that I force fed through it.

My only complaint was that it was too light. But I have the same complaint about my 10/22.

I gave it to my nephew who has shot at least 2000 rounds through it with no malfunction other than some failures to feed on the first round. (Maybe one of y'all can tell him to slingshot the bolt 'cause he won't listen to me) And my step father has the same problem with the Marlin Glenfield that I gave him ( also has the same problem of not listening to slingshot advice)

For the price it's a great plinker, I'd buy another if I ever had the need

AndrewTB
November 21, 2005, 12:01 AM
I think they had the bolt action for $20 so I may have to consider that since clearly its much better. Its the MkII.

FirstFreedom
November 21, 2005, 09:52 AM
My only complaint was that it was too light.

LOL, guys - he has a complaint about a $29 rifle. :eek: :D