PDA

View Full Version : BEST .22LR High Velocity Handgun Ammo ?

kymasabe
November 20, 2005, 12:13 AM
I occasionally carry my little Taurus PT-22. Taurus says to use standard velocity or high velocity ammo in it, but nothing hotter and gives a max of 1250 fps.

So, the question is...what is the best .22LR high velocity ammo that I can put thru the thing without damage to the gun and still making sure it'll cycle well.

With a .22LR, there's really no point in arguing whether or not to use hollow points as I don't think HP would have sufficient penetration anyway.

I know, a .22 is not the ideal self defense weapon....just want to know if it was the only thing you had in your pocket, what would you want it loaded with.

grimjaw
November 20, 2005, 12:43 AM
I load a Beretta 21A with CCI Stingers. Accurate enough out to ten feet, and some of the highest velocity you'll get with .22's. You can probably shoot a limited amount of them through your Taurus, and just practice with standard or high velocity.

jmm

C Philip
November 20, 2005, 02:23 AM
+1 for the CCI stingers. A very good round IMHO.

stevelyn
November 20, 2005, 08:47 AM
CCI Velocitors. They have a 40 grain Gold Dot bullet at an advertised velocity of 1430 fps. I've thumped a few dogs with them and I'm impressed with the performance. They're also accurate out of all my guns.

The Stingers although faster, get their speed from a longer case and a 32 grain bullet which I think is a little too frangible. Stingers also tend to have more accuracy issues.

almark
November 20, 2005, 11:20 AM
May wanna look at CCI's Small Game Bullet (SGB) rounds... solid bullet with flat nose to act sort of like a wadcutter.

Pilot
November 20, 2005, 12:18 PM
My Beretta 21A loves CCI Minimags.

Te Anau
November 20, 2005, 01:19 PM
CCI velocitors are very good,but I use Remington golden bullets most of the time.I believe the golden bullets are 1250 fps.

Para Bellum
November 20, 2005, 02:00 PM
we also tested the CCI Stingers in clay (for the fun of it) and were suprised. I now consider a .22lr as a backup or bathing suit carry gun.
Test online: http://www.raoulwagner.com/tests.htm click on Tests II 2005

Webleymkv
November 20, 2005, 04:26 PM
Stingers have been around awhile so I'd lean towards them. Velocitors sound good but they're realatively new so I'll wait and see how they work out. I'd also mix some solids of some sort in with the Stingers as I worry about penetration of the smaller calibers. I personally load my .32ACP with every other round FMJ.

Paochow
November 20, 2005, 07:21 PM
Check your local Walmart for Velocitors. The ones in Tulsa, OK were clearing them out for $2 a box.

BobK
November 20, 2005, 11:46 PM
Velocitor. They have about 30% more energy than the standard 22lr. They are a hot little round and very accurate.

got2bqik
November 21, 2005, 08:22 PM
I have been shooting the federal lightning .22lr. Its a 40 grain solid lead round @ 1450 fps. Thru my ruger MKIII 22/45 I 've gotten almost none FTF, FTE, did have some stove pipe on me. 25 yds I get palm sized groups with 1 or 2 strays at finger length ( me not the gun or ammo ) $1.08/50 CTD last time I bought. 50 yds is not so good more like a 18-20" circle all still center mass. I would think a HP of similar velocity would be a very lethal round. At what is considered CCW distantance I blow the center out.

MidKnight
November 22, 2005, 12:35 PM
Add another to the stingers camp. Best I've shot.

But, I'd try the various kinds mentioned, then decide for yourself which your gun likes better as far as cycling and what not.