PDA

View Full Version : AK mags in SKS

TEX
August 5, 1999, 05:32 PM
I really like my SKS, but wish it had detachable mags. I understand that SKSs can be converted or modified to take AK mags. Where can I get information on this? Is there a kit?, etc.?, etc.?

Thanks

TEX

mhannah1
August 5, 1999, 07:39 PM
TEX, go to www.rifletech.com (http://www.rifletech.com) Click on the product directory, and then scroll down to SKS Products, and click on "which mag do you really want in your SKS"

They sell a detatchable mag for an SKS that sounds like it might be really good.
I havent bought one, or tried it, but if you beleive their hype, it might be the way to go.

If you get one from them, let all of us at TFL know what you think.

I posted a question to "the Art of the Rifle"
forum to see if anyone has any experience/knowledge about the mags from DC Engineering, so keep an eye on that also for info.

[This message has been edited by mhannah1 (edited August 05, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by mhannah1 (edited August 05, 1999).]

jimc
August 10, 1999, 12:22 AM
i have had detachable mag's (granted not the above mentioned) but what you need to consider is where will your investment be after buying enough mags to satisify your need's? i personally like the standard 10rd stock mag it come's with. if you want a 7.62x39 rifle with hi-cap capability buy an ak/mak90. they are out there and hell mag's are still in the $10 range
my $.02

TEX
August 11, 1999, 06:09 PM
mhannah1,

Thanks fo the info. They look good, but I suspect they are expensive and I already have a butt load of AK mags including a 75 round drum. Th AK is a handy piece, but it is not as accurate as my SKS, which can easily put 20 rounds on a piece of typing paper at 100 yards with iron sights. Do not know if all other SKS are this accurate, but mine is great for a inexpensive surplus rifle. Also the AK's safety lever is located in probably the single worst location that I have ever seen. As to the fixed mag, I have heard people say, "Well you can just top off the SKS fixed mag", but I don't see an easy way to do this unless you have shot it dry. You can't get the bolt to hold open with rounds still in the mag, and what happens if you fired 4 or 5 and then try to top it off with a 10 round stripper. You will have some rounds that aren't quite in the gun yet and an open ended stripper clip that will probably spill rounds when removed. When you do pull the bolt back in an attempt to top off you will probably loose the round that is already on the breech face. Maybe there is a cool and slick way to do this topping off, but I am not aware of it. If someone knows, please clue me in. Thanks for your input also jimc, but from above you can probably see why I want to be able to use mags I already have.

:)

[This message has been edited by TEX (edited August 11, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by TEX (edited August 11, 1999).]

James K
August 12, 1999, 01:37 PM
Best check the legal part. If the SKS is a pre-ban, I don't think there is a problem. But if it is a post-ban then adding a detachable mag rig might mean you are manufacturing an "assault rifle".

Color me confused on all this, but I just hate to see folks get in trouble.

Jim