PDA

View Full Version : Why NOT the Carbon 15?

Shoebox
November 10, 2005, 10:04 PM
Say a guy (ok, me) was looking to pick up a 16" flat-top AR...If you are already a Bushmaster fan, why would you go with a metal model over the C15? Tradition aside, I'm trying to think of what downside there would be given all the apparent advantages of the technology.

Just curious what people here have to say on this.

Thanks

Steve

tarheellefty
November 10, 2005, 11:13 PM
Advantage = light weight. Thats it. to me its like a space saver spare tire. Better than nothing, but you really don't plan on using it much. Like so many folks who buy a 38 and a box of shells, fire 2 cylinders, and put the gun and the other 38 rounds in the drawer forever.
I only shot 1 once. it really opened up groupwise whenit heated up (quickly) . it was like shooting a snubbie revolver- much more recoil than expected for the caliber. and I just didn't feel it would hold up (like buying a cheap asian wrench because you only need it "for this project " ) . If someone has real experience w/ them let's hear it . My guess is most don't get fired much , just like you don't go plink w/ your snubbie.....

Lycanthrope
November 10, 2005, 11:53 PM
I've shot one a lot. It's a nice house gun, but my main competition gun has the standard A2 stock and carbon fiber handguard. To clear malfunctions I like a sturdy buttstock.

The recoil is negligable with a good compensator anyhow, but I think heavier guns balance better for me. I don't mind light barrels. but my receivers will be metal.

If you like it, buy it......particularly if you want a house gun and shoot factory ammo.

tINY
November 11, 2005, 03:43 AM
I like my Carbon 15. You'd get a metal one if you wanted cheap parts, another upper to switch out, wanted to save a few bucks on the initial purchase, or were planning on shooting a lot of surplus ammo.

The new ones, I believe, are using standard AR 15 parts for just about everything. The original Profesional Ordinance Carbon 15 had an updated bolt, a different gas tube, a different buffer and spring, and a really nice barrel.

-tINY