#2 DETACHABLE MAGAZINE
#3 308 ( HAVE A 308 SEMI)
#4 HEAVY BULL BARREL
#5 $800.00 OR LESS .

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATEDE
DOES ANYONE HAVE COMMENTS ON THE SAVAG E 12BVSS

mtnboomer
November 6, 2005, 10:55 PM
I own a Savage Model 10 that is more accurate than I can shoot!

Pointer
November 7, 2005, 01:05 AM
See Browning A-bolt ;)

titleman2005
November 7, 2005, 01:30 AM
I will check both out to see which one i like better

tINY
November 7, 2005, 10:05 PM
If you can forego the detachable magazine, you have some options. Most of the 308s wth heavy barrels and detachable magzines get spendy. Usually you want the heavy barrel for accuracy and there are other things which need to be done so that the barrel isn't wasted because of poor bedding, loose tolerances, or rough triggers.

I'd suggest going with the Savage 12BVSS. It doesn't have a DM, but it shoots well, has an excellent trigger and meets your budget (with some breathing room - more to spend on good glass). Mine shoots better than MOA with everything I've tried so far (the mil-surp might have been a little bigger, but not much). It has the second nicest barrel I have and the stock is well suited for seated or prone shooting. The 12BVSS low profile would be nice, but its only avaliable in the 223 casehead sizes.

I think $800 for a long-range 308 is on the low side if you want a Win, Rem, FN, or Sako.

-tINY

Rustic
November 9, 2005, 12:33 AM
Would something like this work for you?

http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/Tactical.pdf

I don't know what they are selling for, but seem to meet your specs.

I like my T3 lite stainless a lot. Good luck in your quest.

brianidaho
November 9, 2005, 10:20 AM
If you can do without the detachable magazine, you might look at the Winchester Coyote. Savage 12BVSS would be my second choice, followed by the BFSS. The Coyote has a mag with a hinged floor plate, the Savage is blind I believe. Remington to the best of my knowledge offers the .308 heavy barrel combo in the 700 VSF, VLS and 700P, all good choices, I believe they all have hinged floorplates. Most reports would seem to indicate that out of the box accuracy would place the Rem and Savage a bit above the Win, but sounds like it is very close. Personally I'd go with the Coyote, just because I want a Winchester, already have a 700.

fisherman66
November 9, 2005, 10:48 AM
I have almost the exact some desires (except I don't care either way about magazines.)

Not many manufactures produce that rifle with walnut stocks. The heavy barrel gets the tactical treatment.

I prefer the traditional look of real, honest, fully grained walnut.

There is an aftermarket for me, but it's not cheap.

kentucky_smith
November 9, 2005, 12:38 PM
CZ 550 American

guntotin_fool
November 9, 2005, 02:06 PM
one possile route if you demand the detachable box mag. something I have no use for but to each their own. buy a used Remington 700 Mountain rifle short action and then have it rebarreled and stocked. you get the DBM and a remington action.

PS why do you want the DBM? and yes " i just want it" is an acceptable answer.

titleman2005
November 9, 2005, 08:15 PM
I think with the detachable mag it would be easier to load and unload the unused rounds. It just sounds like a better way to go. I have others with the floor plate and it is just ackward.

brianidaho
November 11, 2005, 01:40 AM
I have to agree with you on the desirability of a detachable box mag, my AR dnd FALs have them, it is handier than a hinged floorplate. It is handy to just pop a magazine out at the end of the day, or upon returning to the truck, rather than emptying a box mag. Not sure why they are not more common, especially on varmit or tactical style rifles.

If you don't see what you like in a factory package you might check out Brownells, they may have some conversion kits. I'm looking, but my dialup connection is sooo slow.

On the other hand, you probably won't put that many rounds down range quickly with a bolt gun.

Bri

brianidaho
November 11, 2005, 01:45 AM
Here's an option that looks like it would allow you to add a DBM to a M700 and upgrade the trigger guard/floor plate assy at the same time:

http://snipercountrypx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2135