PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 +p or +p+?

als54
November 6, 2005, 07:44 PM
Does anyone know if a 3rd gen G17 can support firing +P or +P+ ammo? I checked Glocks website, but could not find anything about it. Thanks in advance.

Rivers
November 6, 2005, 09:02 PM
Yes, but you might want to use a 20# spring or so when shooting really hot stuff. The G17 was designed to handle hot NATO ammo.

JohnKSa
November 6, 2005, 11:18 PM
Glock 17 pistols are rated for +P ammunition.

There is no SAAMI pressure limit standard for +P+ ammunition so it's difficult to make pronouncements about +P+ ammunition.

However, the operating pressure of the Glock 17 significantly exceeds the +P limit. It is safe to say that the Glock 17 will almost certainly be safe to fire with most +P+ ammunition on the market.

The only way to be sure is to contact the particular ammunition manufacturer and ask them what the operating pressure of the specific ammunition is, and then contact the manufacturer of the firearm in question and ask them what the operating pressure of the firearm is.

As with any firearm, using higher pressure ammunition will accelerate wear and may decrease the service life.

WESHOOT2
November 7, 2005, 06:25 AM
His post is the "home run".

Did I mention I just won a M17?

JohnKSa
November 7, 2005, 11:30 PM
Thanks!

And how do you "win" a G17? I might need to know... :D

BTW, you probably already know, but the maximum operating pressure for a G17 (according to the armorer's manual) is 43,500psi.

WESHOOT2
November 8, 2005, 06:18 AM
I 'worked' a GSSF match and won the drawing for the worker's gun; I picked the M17 as the only Glock worth owning......

And I can hypothesize that 43K ain't MY limit :eek:

".....still echoing....."

The Immortal
November 9, 2005, 04:58 PM
I purchased some 9mm ammunition and found it was +P+ after I got it home. I was concerned so I called the manufactuer in Georgia. I spoke with a technitian and was advised that it would be fine to shoot the +P+ from my Glock. He said that the pressure standards that Glocks are manufactured to greatley exceed all non-military manufactuers. He said that it would be best not to exclusivley use that ammunition but it would be fine. He likened it to the 38 +P. Years ago, most guns were not suppose to fire the +P, but would do in a pinch. In short, don't make +P your primarty target ammunition. Save it for visitors.

shaggy
November 9, 2005, 05:08 PM
FWIW, I've shot a couple boxes of the Hirtenberger (+P+, 95gr SP) with no noticable ill-effects in my G17, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyday use.