PDA

View Full Version : Just bought Sig P226 - need info...

MostToysWins
November 6, 2005, 01:39 AM
Which classes can I shoot it in (IPDA/USPSA)?

I'm still confused about the different classes. :confused:

Thanks!

Ken O
November 6, 2005, 08:54 AM
For IDPA it would be SSP (Stock Service Pistol), but you could shoot it in ESP (Enhanced Service Pistol) or CDP (Custom Defensive Pistol).
At the club I shoot at, you are encouraged to shoot more than one class, they charge an extra $5 to shoot a second gun. So if you shoot in your SSP class, you could shoot again in say the ESP using the same gun. This is good especially if you travel a long ways to shoot, you get twice the shooting in.
For USPSA (IPSC), I believe you could shoot in the Prodution division. Normally you would just shoot one pistol and class as the set up is usually a lot more complex.
Go to the respective websites and the rules are posted, I think the USPSA website has an appendix that is brand specific for the class.
Also, for IDPA the holsters are a lot more restictive, and if shooting a revolver class you are limited to a 4" barrel. In IPSC just about anything goes.
Hope this helps, Ken

Jim Watson
November 6, 2005, 09:26 AM
BEEEP! Wrong answer, Ken.
You may not shoot a pistol of caliber other than .45 ACP in IDPA CDP.

Most,

He was pretty close otherwise. Your P226 will enter in Stock Service Pistol (SSP) for IDPA and in Production for USPSA(IPSC). In either case you are limited to ten in the magazine plus one in the chamber to start, a holdover from the Klinton Ban.

You CAN shoot it in some other Divisons of either outfit, but it would put you up against more sophisticated guns where you would not be competitive. Not that you should expect to win, just that shooting against people with similar guns will help you to know where you stand and what you need to work on.

Don't worry about definitions. I know people who shoot regularly who cannot tell you what Division their gun fits or remember the difference between Tactical Priority and Tactical Sequence; or Comstock vs Virgina count. Just show up and follow directions.

Ken O
November 6, 2005, 06:48 PM
Your right Jim, forgot about the caliber exception, page 23 says: Pistol approved for SSP may also be used in ESP and CDP, but must meet the caliber requirement.

MostToysWins
November 6, 2005, 07:42 PM
Jim,

I think I will take your advice and when I go to my first competition this month I will just "show up and follow directions".:D :p

I'm sure they will tell me everything I want to know!

Thanks for the responses!

Jeff22
November 7, 2005, 12:28 AM
I had a Sig 226 in 9mm as my duty sidearm from December of '89 until November of '04, when we switched to the 226R-DAK in .40 cal. I almost always used the 226 in local IPSC and IDPA matches. (I shot the .40 in an IPSC match on Sunday afternoon.)

The above posts are correct. It would be "production" in IDPA and "stock service pistol" in IPSC. Get a holster that fits the rules for both disciplines and a bunch of spare magazines and you should be all set.

There are more similarities than differences in the two different organizations and lots of shooters shoot both. Matches like that may not be tactically correct but are a good way to learn dynamic gunhandling and have a good time doing it.

mailmanx
November 8, 2005, 02:19 PM
I too just bought a Sig 226 9mm and want to get into USPSA/IDPA... Can anyone give me some points on just what holster types are legal for both? I am leaning more toward USPSA, but want to option of IDPA as well. I have been looking at CR-Speed Rigs and wondered what else is out there of similar design, and what type of holster is legal for IDPA... since I guess the CR-speed is not...

Also looking for dealers/vendors in MA area for holster try out/purchase.

Thanks

Jon

Jim Watson
November 8, 2005, 03:50 PM
An IDPA holster must be strong side straight draw belt, paddle or IWB type. No drop or offset (except for a woman.) No clamps, clips, rails, pegs, or magnets, the gun must go IN the holster, with coverage at least to within 1/4inch of the front of the ejection port.
You could take any IDPA holster to a USPSA shoot but not vice versa.

I use RTP, seen at
www.pistolpacking.com
but there are others in kydex and leather.

OWad
November 11, 2005, 12:14 PM
I use a $20 fobus paddle for both....Life is good when the extra $$$ goes for bullets:D