PDA

View Full Version : Red dot vs. green dot scopes? Weaver mounts on picatinny rails?

C Philip
November 1, 2005, 08:39 PM
I want to get a red dot scope for my Beretta CX4. The top rail is a picatinny rail, but most of the red dots I see have weaver mounts. I hear weaver mounts will fit a picatinny rail, but not very well. Should I just buy separate mounts for the scope? Also, what is the difference between the red dot and the green dot scopes? (Besides the colour of course!) Is one supposed to be easier to see in different lighting situations, etc.?

2rugers
November 1, 2005, 09:00 PM
The red dot obscures colors somewhat in very low light. The green dot does not. However, dot size is very important in relation.

SavageCheesecake
November 1, 2005, 09:12 PM
I've used a red dot scope before, (nice, but not really my thing) but I'm no expert. Therefore I will use crappy logic to give you advice: Red dot scopes remind me of Kotex commercials, so go with the green.

20cows
November 1, 2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the image. I don't think I'll ever look through my red dot scope the same way again.:eek:

Limeyfellow
November 1, 2005, 09:27 PM
The human eye can also see green easier, which is why they use green colours in nightvision. Its just that it was easier in the past to make a red light laser compared to a green one.

SrtDog
November 1, 2005, 09:40 PM
Low light or not, never had a problem with my red dot. :)

jrfoxx
November 3, 2005, 09:13 PM
FWIW, I'm told green is easier to see well in daylight/well lit areas where the red dot is harder to see, (or possible, less well defined) but is better than green for dark areas. Dont know how true it is, I wont get my Bushnell 'Trophy' red green dot till Christmas, but i will be sure to compare the two colors in various lighting and leave a report, as i'm sure more people (myself included) are interested/confused/curious.

StormTrooper
November 4, 2005, 12:20 AM
I too have a Cx4 and finally got a TruGlo 2x Red Dot for it. Its not EOTech or another $400.00 plus sight but it does do well enough for the effective range of the storm itself. I do suggest getting one with the adjustable rheostat. The TruGlo i got has an 11 position clicker that adjusts the dot brightness to accomodate high or low light level conditions, an anti glare filters and is suppose to be able to handle recoil up to .50 cal, but It wont see .50 cal so i dont worry about it. It fits fine and with a little dab of blue locktite it stays where it is. I wanted one, but was not in the money for the high dollar Holo sights. I think with the adj dot you can live without green.

keens
November 4, 2005, 07:11 AM
I am getting one as well...it will be the Eotech, model 512 (it comes with green dot I think)...AA batteries etc. Take a look before you buy one. I plan on placing it on my Armalite Ar-10 .308. This will be one of my "woods" close range rifles. We have a lot of close shots here in the east...long ones too if you look for them.

Rimrod
November 4, 2005, 07:39 AM
The color of the dot is important also depending on the background. If you have a bunch of PETA members running around in orange clothing scaring your game away, go with the green.

IZinterrogator
November 5, 2005, 02:43 PM
keens, EOTechs come with red dots.

O.S.O.K.132
November 6, 2005, 12:15 PM
rimrod...nice one... but to answer the question at hand, i have a red dot and have shot a green both are nice.. but in low light shooting the red will obscure target even if you turn it down on the lowest setting, however the green with a picture perfect bright day it will be hard to see... you will have to take the good with the bad:rolleyes: