PDA

View Full Version : Tactical light,--bad idea?

MBRinTN
October 12, 2005, 08:17 PM
Anyone else think having a "Tactical," white light on a handgun rail is a really bad idea for non-LE or military applications? If I get up in the middle of night to investigate a noise, I don't want to have to point my gun at something just to illuminate, (Wife, dog, son, etc.), it.

18DAI
October 12, 2005, 08:25 PM
IMHO it is a bad idea. I just mentioned on another forum ,I was trained to hold the flashlight weak hand , level with the ear,and out to the weakside.I think it gives a hell of a good target to any BG , in addition to the point you make. But I am getting old enough that those laser aiming devices are starting to look good! Regards 18DAI.

Joven
October 12, 2005, 08:47 PM
I like the thought of being able to use a 2 handed grip which is how I usually practice. USe momentary switch so you can illuminate and then move. Keep your finger off the trigger.

Marcus
October 12, 2005, 09:38 PM
IMO it much more a matter of how you use the light. My M3 puts out so much light it easily illuminates a whole room while pointed at the floor,especially when set to a flood beam. There`s no need to point the gun directly at something to see it clearly. Also I only use the momentary switch function which means if the light is ON my finger CANNOT be on the trigger. FWIW I also keep a big 4D cell MagLite handy,mostly for it`s use as a non lethal "deterrent" (WHACK!). :) Marcus

sig-it
October 13, 2005, 02:02 PM
+1 on the 4D maglite....

...i live in a prety sketchy neighborhood in savannah...so when there is a bump in the night, i walk out with my 97b tucked at 6 o clock and the 4d in my weak hand....

that way, when its one of my roomates ladyfirends leaving at 3 am i sont end up looking like the crazy ******* with the gun....

i know that this isnt the most effective self defense posture, but im betting on the chance that i will startle the bg enough with my presence to draw and un-safety a chambered gun before he can put down the assorted goods hes trying to get away with...