PDA

View Full Version : Sighting in 10/22... ammo sensitive?

almark
October 12, 2005, 04:27 PM
I've been trying to sight in the 4x32 scope on my Ruger 10/22 at ~25-30 yds. Well, I'll get it going and get it sighted in, think everything's great. Five minutes later, it's shooting high and left. They're grouping consistently, but they're nowhere near where my now sighted in (or so I thought) scope was pointing at the time. I'm shooting basic Remington golden bullet hollowpoints.

What do y'all think? Bad scope/mounts? Poor ammo consistency? Barrel overheating (I didn't take too many breaks from shooting)? Indian, not the arrow?

Thanks in advance! :)

Death from Afar
October 12, 2005, 04:29 PM
Somethings loose, maybe the screw in front of the magazine. You could be shifting your eye along the comb as well, but that should not make that great a difference..

k in AR
October 12, 2005, 06:11 PM
You didn't say what brand scope???
I have seen 3 scopes that would shift during recoil, yes even from a 22. One was a Bushnell, one was a Swift (covered by warranty thru the store), and the other was was some Chinese scope that was a great buy <L>.
So it could be the scope but first you must check all your mounting hardware.
Then, if available, try a different scope, that will tell you about your gun.
BTW: make sure that your shooting bench is sturdy and that you use good bags. I.e. never let your gun touch any hard surface when firing.
Hope this helps, k

Trip20
October 13, 2005, 08:31 AM
almark, I use that same ammo with very good results. Unless your switching between types of ammo, they should continue to group consistantly where you have the cross hairs sighted. That is, if everything is tightened down properly, and your scope is not defective as the above posters have suggested.

almark
October 13, 2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks guys! :) I'll switch scopes this weekend and see if that's the problem.