PDA

View Full Version : Weatherby Mark V, Worth the Price?

surg_res
October 12, 2005, 01:06 PM
Someone once told me that when it comes to guns, you usually get what you pay for... Any comments on the Weatherby Mark V rifles? Anyone know why Weatherby (a traditional weapons maker in my impression) has gone overboard with synthetic stocks? According to their catalog, Mark V in 308 is not available in a wooden stock... only that plastic stuff.

trooper3385
October 13, 2005, 12:37 AM
I guess Weatherby is trying to get into the Synthetic market like everyone else is. There better for an all weather rifle than the wood is and are lighter. I don't know if I would want a weatherby thats to light though. As for the Mark V, I think there great. I have a Mark V in a 7mm Weatherby mag and its my favorite rifle. The only draw back to the rifle that I have found is the stock is so nice, I'm paranoid about dinging it up everytime I go out. The only bad thing i've heard from a couple of people is they didn't believe the weatherby round is as accurate as others. Mine shoots excellent groups, especially for hunting purposes. The action on it is the smoothest I've seen. If you have the money to spend on one, I would definetly go for it. Shop around though, you can find good deals on them. Mine retails for about $1500. I got it from a friend of my dads that owns a gun shop for $500 and then traded another gun in on it and ended up paying $250 cash for it. Not to many deals like that out there, but i'm sure you can beat $1500. Your going to get a better deal on the synthetics as well if thats what your looking for.

surg_res
October 13, 2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm in the process of putting together an ultimate medium-large game gun that my wife swears will be my last one, for awhile anyway (graduation gift to myself I suppose). Anyhow, I'm willing to pay extra where it will count--and would like a rifle that is meaningful and a work of art all in one. I 'd really like a custom 98 in a .308, especially one with a nice stock; though, they are difficult to find.

I hear you on the stock paranoia. I'm the same way with most of my wooden stocks. Perhaps that is why owning two guns has it's advantage (kind of like the Chinese having two wives), there's the one you love, and the one you aren't afraid to abuse.

Davis
October 13, 2005, 04:38 PM
In optics, you get what you pay for, in rifles, not so.

The Remington 710 is actually five cents more expensive than the Savage 110, and the Savage is a much better rifle (the 710 being a dead end, the Savage being great out of the box and also upgradeable). The Stevens is $80 cheaper than the 710 and is still a better rifle. The Mossberg 100ATR is $100 cheaper and is arguably as good as if not better than the 710.

That said, Weatherby rifles are good rifles and if that is what floats your boat, then get one and enjoy it!

Davis

surg_res
October 13, 2005, 05:42 PM
Good points about the pricing. Some companies do simply waste more money than others. Nevertheless, if I could add 50 years to the life of a gun by spending an extra 50%, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm not saying that any of the guns you mentioned would last any longer than the others, however, I wish there was a way to find out. I'll just end the post by saying that I live 1mile away from the Gulf of Mexico and I've literally seen my less expensive guns rust overnight (one of which was a Remington). A little oil goes a long way, however, this "rusting away" has made me seriously question the quality of metals (mostly barrels) used in the construction of the "competetively" priced firearms...

Cpl Punishment
October 13, 2005, 06:20 PM
Hey BMS,

I hear nothing but good about the Weatherby Mark V rifles. I'm not sure if they're THAT much better than a Remchester, but I've not heard anything BAD about them (unlike Remchesters). Another (lower priced) option is the Weatherby Vanguard rifles. While they are a Howa (also very good rifles) action and not a Mark V, they come with the same accuracy and service guarantees as all Weatherby rifles. Might want to consider them. Although if you can afford a Mark V, I'd say get one.

Also, get GOOD glass for that rifle! I like Leupold, they have always been good and sturdy, and although not cheap, I'm willing to pay for one with their lifetime guarantee.

surg_res
October 13, 2005, 06:59 PM
Cpl Punishment, thanks for the advice. Good glass is what is holding me up on the whole package--along with a good 308 sporter. For the scope, I've got to spend another 6 months researching the do's and don'ts in the forum.