PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Super X2 Practical vs. Rem 1100 Comp Master

DHart
October 3, 2005, 03:00 PM
Does anyone here have these or have much experience with them?

The SX2 Practical looks like it would be a really nice defense shotty. They seem to be hard to find... any ideas on where to obtain one? I have an 1100 CM on the way and I'm considering also getting a SX2 Practical as well.

The Browning Gold has been recommended by some... anyone here with experience with them?

Any idea on reliability with full charge buckshot of the SX2 vs. the Gold vs. Remington 1100?

Do rear stocks interchange between the Win 1300 pump and the Win SX2?

Thanks, in advance, for any info....

HSMITH
October 4, 2005, 08:25 AM
Some of the 3 gun guys around here are using the SX2 Practicals, and like them very much. Others are using the 11-87 all decked out, and lots of 1100CMs show up. The balance seems to be almost all Benelli.

The Gold seems to be the new 'gottahavit' for a lot of guys shooting limited, the speedload feature and mag cutoff seem to be the big selling point.

I don't think there will be a big difference in reliability between them with full charge buckshot. My Gold required more cleanliness than my X2 for best function, but not so much as to be a problem.

1300 stocks won't fit the X2 or the Gold.

Talk to the competition shooters, they are shooting the snot out of their guns in any and all conditions, and they see what works and what doesn't.

Kestrel
October 4, 2005, 10:42 AM
DHart,

I've read your other posts looking for a shotgun. Are you wanting an SX2 for competition or HD? If you're wanting it for defense and would like to make some changes similar to what you were wanting to do with your 1100 CM, you might take a look at the FN "Self Loading Police Shotgun". It's an SX2, with a shorter barrel, ghost rings, extended mag tube and rail. (Similar to the SX2 competition, though.)

http://www.fnherstal.com/html/Index.htm

(Go to "Law Enforcement" and then "Shotguns")

It looks very slick to me and I would like to find one eventually.

HSMITH is one of the folks that convinced me to get an SX2. They have a great reputation for reliability and they're very fast shooting.

I've always preferred an 870 for HD, but this FN (SX2) looks like a great setup for an auto alternative.

HTH

DHart
October 4, 2005, 01:40 PM
HSMITH... your posts have been very helpful to me.

Well it sure looks like there are plenty of mucho desireable semi-auto shottys for a budding shotgun addict to feed his addiction with!

I spent hours last night pouring through threads on Brian Enos Forums and concluded that the SX2 is unquestionably getting the most rave reviews. The Gold doesn't seem too far behind that. And that FN Police looks to be a really sweet HD shotty. Sheesh, I think I know where a goodly chunk of my change will be going in the months ahead.

Steve... yes, I would like to take either the 1100CM or an SX2 to a short, HD-type shotty and that FN, being an SX2 at heart, looks to be exactly what I would like! I'm thinking I may try to find one of those FN's and leave my 1100CM as is.

I'd also like to have a good set-up for skeet/trap/sporting clays, and I suppose any of the 1100, SX2, and Gold shotguns would do that just fine... and of course there's the 391, DANG! Too many cool shotguns.

For some reason when I get to the main FN page and click on any of the headings, I just get a void(0) and go nowhere. Would it be possible for you to go to the FN Police shotgun page and copy the url for that particular page... then I can probably type that into my browser and get there. I'd sure love to see that page, but for some reason my browser just won't work with that site, which is odd.

HSMITH
October 4, 2005, 07:40 PM
DHart, glad I can help.

Steve, how is your X2 treating you?

BTW, the FN page is dead for me too.....

Kestrel
October 4, 2005, 11:22 PM
Hmm... I tried the link again and it works in IE, but not in Firefox. (None of FN's web sites are designed very well...)

If you don't have IE (or if it doesn't work for you), I've attached JPEG images of the complete web page detailing the FN shotgun. Hope that helps.

HSMITH - I'm embarrassed to say I haven't even fired my SX2, yet. I don't have a place around here to use it, but am planning to join a gun club soon, that has sporting clays, skeet and trap. I'm very much looking forward to it. (Would like to try it out on some ducks, too.)

DHart - I have a couple of the 391s, but haven't been able to try them, either. (See above.) They do have a great reputation and they sure feel good, but all I've been able to do so far, is pretend with them for now :o .

Good luck with your search. I hope to get one of the FNs at some point.

Steve

DHart
October 5, 2005, 02:13 AM
Steve... thanks for the links... however, it looks like the info on that website is wrong on the gun... the lengths, weight, and capacity are wrong... from what I can tell.

I did some more digging and found the FNH USA site... here's a link to the FNH USA site, which does work fine with my browsers...

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/sg_selfloading.htm

Kestrel
October 5, 2005, 03:15 AM
Great - I didn't know where that site was supposed to be. The fnmfg.com site doesn't even list them. (I didn't even read over the specs at the other site.)

I'm not sure why Winchester doesn't have these on their web site. They are SX2/Winchesters, just stamped "FN". Maybe Winchester wants to be viewed as a hunting company and FN is the defense company.

(You don't happen to use Safari, do you?)

DHart
October 5, 2005, 03:27 AM
Steve... ah, yes, Safari primarily and once in a while, Netscape. I used to use IE, but since going to OSX, Safari has won me over!

I presume FN makes all of these shotguns (Winchesters, Brownings, and FN's) in the same plant, perhaps some even on the same assembly line and then spins them off in different directions for branding and finishing...

Another option to the FN self loading police shotgun is to send a plain-Jane SX2 or Gold off to Rockin' H Tactical for their "Dominator" package.. the end result is probably even better, but total cost would certainly be higher.

http://www.rockinhtactical.com/index.htm

Gotta say that having a Gold "Dominator" would sure be sweet! (Ahh... all these cool shotguns are making my head spin...) :rolleyes:

BTW... I picked up my new-in-box 1100CM today and shot a mag-full of 00 Buck... so far all I can say is "SWEET". I like this gun a lot. Very nice.

Kestrel
October 5, 2005, 02:58 PM
Well, all this talk about new shotguns has me worked up...

Goodness! Now I'm salivating again for an FN SLPS and a SX2 Practical MKI

(I'm hoping someone gets one before I do, so they can report on it. I'm especially curious as to how well the ghost ring sights line up with the cheek weld.)

Now I'm probably going to sell my Montefeltro...

Good grief!

DHart
October 5, 2005, 03:40 PM
Steve.... I definitely have the fever! Hope I'm not too contagious.

The FN SLP is readily available for in the neighborhood of $850. I really don't think I can resist much longer.... but I'm trying too. And yes, a SX2 Practical is also calling my name!

===========

UPDATE: called my dealer, he can get one, couldn't resist any longer, so I ordered it... should be here next Wednesday! Very cool. Will report when I get it.

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/sg_selfloading.htm

Megafortress
October 6, 2005, 04:55 PM
I have had a Rem 1100CM for about 5 months. It is fantastic. I have put about 300rds through it with no FTF. I paid $750 for it and am very happy with it.

DHart
October 6, 2005, 05:14 PM
Megafortress... the 1100CM is a cool gun for sure... I'm just getting to know mine.

Would you share what ammo you've determined cycles reliably for you with your 1100? Here's what I've determined so far with just three different loads in my brand new, stock 1100CM:

CYCLES RELIABLY:
• Winchester Super X Buckshot 2.75", 9 pellets of 00 Buck

• Remington Express Buckshot 2.75", 3.75 Dr Eq, 9 pellets of 00 Buck

WILL NOT CYCLE AT ALL:
• Winchester Super X Game Loads 2.75", 3.25 Dr Eq, 1 oz., #6