PDA

View Full Version : Help with Winch. Model 70, Please

SIMP
October 3, 2005, 08:12 AM
Hi,
I'm totally new to firearms and wanted to see if you could please help me out. I just started deer hunting last year recently purchased this rifle from a friend for $150.00. (Photo attached) It is a Winchester Model 70 and well taken care of, but I can't seem to find out anything about it from their website. Can someone please tell me if I got a good deal and also what type model 70 this is? (Shadow, Super Shadow, Classic, etc) I would certainly appreciate any information you could provide me with. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

SIMP

joshua
October 3, 2005, 08:37 AM
It looks like this one http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976577637.htm I thought is was something like Ranger synthetic due to the no floorplate feature. Looks like a push feed model 70. dont knock the rife until you have tried it, I had a Winchester 70 Ranger with a wood stock and it shot groups in teh .75 moa. What caliber is it? If it's something I can use I'll offer you 165 bucks for it when I come back to the US. josh

Paul B.
October 3, 2005, 08:47 AM
Winchester made a special (?) run of Model 70s for Walmart that sold in the $350 range, at least in magnum calibers. They were usually scoped with a really "El Cheapo" Simmons scope and a really really crappy excuse for a recoil pad. I have one in .300 Win. mag. and I replaced the scope with a 3x9 Leupold and that rock of Gibralter they called a recoil pad with a Pachmeyr Decelerator recoil pad. The rifle is now reasonably pleasant to shoot and is way more accurate than what I would have expected.
Regardless of the cartridge yours takes, $150 was one hell of a good buy. :cool:
Paul B.

gak
October 3, 2005, 08:55 AM
Good buy. I have one just like it--in .270. Don't know the name -- likely the Ranger synthetic as the other poster said, no floor plate, push feed, etc., I got used for $200; same scope everything. While certainly not the top model, nothing wrong with and mine is incredibly accurate--aggravatingly so to a friend who sighted it in right next to his very expensive new 7mm RUM which didn't fare so well! Anyway. Don't kick yourself either way - keep it or sell it.If you sell it, not like you've gotten rid of something you can't replace. Does the job. BTW, mine's been pretty reliable in rugged terrain with that synth stock.

SIMP
October 3, 2005, 09:02 AM
I really appreciate the help. The gun is a .270 and yes, it does have a 3x9 Simmons on it. So I should think about replacing the scope? Again, thanks for your help everyone!

SIMP

essexcounty
October 3, 2005, 02:08 PM
Please turn yourself in to local law enforcement. You, Sir are a thief!.......... Good Shooting, Essex

Jseime
October 3, 2005, 02:26 PM
You should replace the scope with a higher quality one if you intend to keep the rifle. Dont go overboard but at the same time dont cheap out and end up with one of the same quality as it is now.

SIMP
October 3, 2005, 03:01 PM
Essex.....LOL. So i got a good deal, huh?

joshua
October 3, 2005, 04:21 PM
If you are looking for a decent but not expensive scope I got one of those Burris Fullfield 3x9 matte finish for 219 with the ballistic reticle and it came with a free 20x50 mini spotting scope. Not bad deal and it's backed up with a lifetime warranty. josh

SIMP
October 3, 2005, 04:23 PM
Our local Academy Sports has a Redfield 3-9x40 for $78. Are they good scopes? Thanks.

us.armysniper
October 3, 2005, 04:35 PM
Yep looks like my .270 winchester model 70 exactly, which I have had for a long time and it is great, after having it free floated and the trigger knocked down to about 1.5 lbs I shot .60" groups at 100 meters all day long with factory ammo and even better with some of dad's hand loads. That was a great buy If I had the opertunity I would buy another in a heart beat. I don't understand what paul b meant about an el cheapo scope it did great for me and I wouldn't have replaced the scope that came with it, but I got a great deal on 3 simmons a-tec and put one of those on it, gave the other to my dad to put on his .356 lever, and put my other on my remington .270 semi auto. I paid a $100 a piece for the optics and i can't more pleased with them. Just because it is a bolt action rifle dosen't mean that it needs all that high speed leaupold scope, bi-pod etc. If you want a tactical type, then the remington 700 pss is perfect for that. I just see no point in spending that much money when I can get the same results for less money. Just my opinion.

joshua
October 3, 2005, 09:30 PM
I meant bought instead of got so no one will think I'm trying to sell it. I've had a Simmons Pro-50 and it has proven to be a clear and accurate scope, but with some experience with those brands, (Tasco, Simmons and Bushnell etc.) there will be failure at the most unexpected moment and hopefully it won't cost you a hunt you have prepared for. After a scope failure experience with a claimed shockproof pistol scope, I moved all the bargain scopes to less recoiling firearms i.e., Simmons Pro50 off the .270 and now sitting on top of my Colt HBar. josh