PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine: Aftermarket or Refurbished?

candide
September 29, 2005, 08:34 AM
I've been considering a M1 Carbine for the longest time as a plinking rifle and for HD, now would I be better off with a new aftermarket model( and if so, which manufacturer?) or a refurbished Korean War model? Also, 30 round magazines, who makes the best?

gak
September 29, 2005, 08:49 AM
Either way, depending upon your objectives. A new one from Auto Ordnance/Kahr ( www.tommygun.com ) will give you a warranty (and someone to complain to) and supposed manufacture from new using original specs, etc. They also, starting this year, offer an option of birch or (nicer) walnut and have finally done away with the cheap-looking metal handguard in favor of the original GI wood part. This should give you a lot of shooting pleasure and the knowledge of what you've got from the start.

Original GI is an equally valid way to go if you value collectiblity or the charm of having an original WWII weapon. These are all superior to aftermarket guns issued in the 60s-90s (Plainfield, Universal, etc.). By refurbished Korean War, I assume you also mean WWII as most of the Korean War-era guns were manufactured during WWII I believe. Refurbished or not (watch out for the "arsenal" weapons...will have stamping on barrel indicating Blue Sky, etc.) which are re-imports from Korea (or other countries) where -- although original GI -- who knows what duty and/or storage they've seen... better off with a "true" (non arsenal) original GI. Like Corvettes, matching parts GI models are getting pricey. If still working well, mixed GI parts (i.e., Inland receiver, Saginaw barrel, Underwood stock, etc.) can still make for a fine weapon as all parts are (generally) completely interchangeable--they just won't command as high a price. Last but not least, Fulton Armory ( www.fulton-armory.com ) carbine is as close to a completely refurbished/new GI as you can get -- at a price -- roughly double that of the Auto Ord/Kahr item or about what you'd pay for an original un-refinished but near mint original GI. All three are valid ways to go depending on your budget and proclivities; with the Auto Ord/Kahr item being the only "non GI" model worth looking into IMO. Regardless of your approach, a great weapon. Good luck!

Regarding 30 rounders, I have no aftermarket experience - just original GI and think this is still probably the best route, plenty of surplus ones still around. Even so, you may find that some of them do not feed (quite as) reliably as the 15 rounders which were more the norm in WWII (the 30 rounders were issued near the end of the war to go along with the newer M2 select fire version of the carbine)--with the M2s/30 rd magazines of course seeing extensive use in Korea.

DPris
September 29, 2005, 12:27 PM
I have a Fulton. Beautifully done on an original GI receiver, looks brand new.
If you have the money, aren't looking for strictly a collector gun, it's the way to go for looks and performance.
Denis