PDA

View Full Version : Closed Threads

Bullrock
September 27, 2005, 06:17 PM
Am I alone or does anyone else really enjoy reading the 'closed' threads... :D

rgoudy1975
September 27, 2005, 06:19 PM
+1

It seems like some of the most entertaining (unproductive) threads get closed...

TheBluesMan
September 27, 2005, 06:56 PM
...well then my contribution will certainly help you enjoy this thread even more.

Closed for being off-topic. :p

justkidding. :D

USP45usp
September 27, 2005, 06:59 PM
I'm the same way, I wished that the software would allow for a search of all closed threads.

Also, they are great learning tools (on what not to do)

Wayne

XavierBreath
September 27, 2005, 07:23 PM
Same with banned members. I enjoy reading famous last words..........
I guess I'm a sicko. ;)

Mal H
September 27, 2005, 07:51 PM
You're all sick!

:)

One of the best ways I've ever seen to make the view count skyrocket on a thread is to close it.

dave_in_delaware
September 27, 2005, 09:00 PM
I enjoy reading some of the closed/locked threads as well. What really sucks is when you start a worth-while thread to have people help you, and it gets closed due to some idiot posting stupid things, and refusing to stop via PM from the moderators.

I want my "Would a gun have made a difference?" back! :mad: I was enjoying (initially) reading everyone's thoughts. I feel that it was closed before its time, before I got enough honest opinions on the subject.

psycho nut
September 27, 2005, 10:27 PM
I like reading them too, I'm always curious as to why it got closed.

sm
September 27, 2005, 11:01 PM
One learns from mistakes - a whole lot less expensive and painful if mistakes are someone elses

I like the part when folks go to sister/other forums and talk trash, and bash Rich, TFL, Staff, Moderators and whomever else. Their credibility factor sure goes up. ;)

Mal H is wierd. :p He likes big numbers. Word is being a sceintific type - he is the only Moderator that does his post counting - 10^1, 10^2 and you want to really make his day post enough on a thread for a 10^3. :D

Excuse me, I got a PM from a certain Moderator, rut roh, he traded in his slide rule for an axe... :eek:

Steve

SAXD9
September 28, 2005, 12:14 AM
I've gotten particularly irritated before, after reading a couple pages of something interesting, and having thought up something worthwhile to say and I go to add my .02 cents and it's a closed thread.

Can't we have an off topic folder? Or a folder the mods could move a thread to if it doesn't belong here, but keep it open for us? If someone doesn't want to read it, they don't have to!

And I'm not criticizing the mods here, I've been in your shoes, I've been a mod and a forum owner a couple times in the past. Ya'll do a good job of keeping this place on topic but sometimes we need to stray a little.
For example, say you belong to a shooting club, I'll bet the conversation in the clubhouse isn't 100% guns all the time. It's a better place if the conversation strays to cars, women, current events, shooting a snake in your yard, etc. :)

Capt. Charlie
October 4, 2005, 04:43 PM
I never knew there were so many different ways of saying "closed", and that's what I like to look at first. The staff here could write their own thesaurus! :D Then it's time to don my asbestos gloves before touching the mouse, and then scroll down to see the free-for-all that usually precedes the staff's imaginative lock-down :eek: :D .

Bullrock
October 7, 2005, 06:42 PM
A while back I used to jump in with both feet. Now, I try not to get involved in that stuff. I think closed threads make good 'stupid barometers' I can't believe how stupid I have been until I go back and read some of the 'closed threads' I've had a hand in...

Never to old to learn... ;) :D :D

rgoudy1975
October 7, 2005, 07:49 PM
It's a personal goal of mine to be the last to post before a thread gets closed. I have my fingers crossed for this one... ;)

USP45usp
October 7, 2005, 07:55 PM
Bullrock,

I try to do the same thing now. I will participate in a thread if it looks as if it is going okay, that it won't become a flame feast(sp). If it looks doubful then I just read to see how it's going and then may post.

I do "jump in" if I smell anything that could be a troller thread to express my thoughts on the fact of such but I try to not get involved if I don't have to.

I also learned something else (reading old threads, my posts :o especially) and I used to post with emotion, anger being the biggest one.

Now I just go with the sig of Brother Wild, "It's the internet, it's not real" ;)

(Yeah, sometimes that old man comes up with some good stuff :D ).

Wayne

Capt. Charlie
October 7, 2005, 10:10 PM
It's a personal goal of mine to be the last to post before a thread gets closed. I have my fingers crossed for this one...
Lessee (takes out thermometer). Hmm, nope, not enough flaming yet. :D :D