PDA

View Full Version : Advice on best optical sight

stang46gt
September 25, 2005, 08:00 AM
I am looking to mount sometype of optical sight on my S & W 41. What is best. I hear that a small MOA (2 or 3) is best for bullseye but may do some metal targets down the line. Any suggestions as to what to buy.

Number 6
September 25, 2005, 09:58 AM
a tube sight will be fine - you have all day to acquire the target and fire.

IF you are going to do action shooting, you may want to consider a single-lens system such as a C-Mor, which generally gives faster target acquisition. Just look at what the Open Division shooters use - not too many tube sights left there.

stang46gt
September 25, 2005, 10:24 AM
I checked out the c-more sight as you suggested. THey look like what I need. It seems to be the more versatile. Fast acquisition if I decide to do some type of speed shooting.

Thanks for the help.

eerw
September 25, 2005, 11:06 AM
The C-more is a great sight system.. light..fairly precise..able to switch dots.
I find it the best sight for USPSA/IPSC and metal matches..

for precision shooting like bullseye, bianchi and sportsman team challenge. I prefer the tube sight like Aimpoint or Leupold..due to the lack of parallax error and for the click adjustments for elevation and windage which the c-more doesn't have.

as long as you shoot with both eyes open..you will have no problem with quick target aquisition.

another nice thing about the C-more system is that it is a lot lighter and gives a lot less bulk on top of your gun.

stang46gt
September 25, 2005, 06:05 PM
eerw. when you say you have to worry about parallax error with the c-more, does this mean that the dot has to be centered?

eerw
September 25, 2005, 06:16 PM
It is not bad..but if you shoot the dot on the edge of the glass...you can experience some parallax...

the little more tedious thing is when zeroing..the C-more is not click adjustable..so you kind of go back and forth trying to get the dot to the right POI.

stang46gt
September 25, 2005, 06:29 PM
hmmm, things seem to be pointing towards a tube type. Is one tube type better then another?

eerw
September 25, 2005, 06:34 PM
Don't get me wrong..I love the C-more...only one I would put on an IPSC open gun..and I have had them on 22s for plinking..

Tube sights..I like the Aimpoint CompC also the Leupold is OK..
for bullseye..you might ask some bullseye shooters..what works for them. as there are so many red dot sights out now..
another possibility would be the Bushnell Holosight..I have a friend that has a couple of those..and he loves them...

stang46gt
September 25, 2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks for all the info. A lot of usefull information. One last ??. What size MOA is best for, let's say bulleye shooting.

eerw
September 25, 2005, 06:49 PM
Not sure what the real bullseye shooters work with..but when I get a chance to play..I have with a small 1MOA or 2MOA..

the past year..I did a bunch of practice for Sportsman Team Challenge..and was using a Marvel conversion with a Leupold LG1 with a 2MOA dot..and was able to shoot the 4" plates at 40 and 60 yards.

stang46gt
September 25, 2005, 07:01 PM
Ok, I huess it's off the the gun shop tomorrow to see what they have in stock. While we have been conversing I have been surfing for red dots. The Leupold LG1 looks good. I will let you know which I choose.

Thanks again

Lycanthrope
September 25, 2005, 07:03 PM
How about an Eotech? A bit heavier than the C More, but has a 1 moa center dot and is tougher.

eerw
September 25, 2005, 07:42 PM
those are pretty nice..a shooting buddy has a Eotech on his Smith 41..and he likes it...a little heavier..but helps the gun settle..

johnbt
September 26, 2005, 07:51 AM
I've been very pleased with the UltraDot Match Dot. JT

www.larrysguns.com/ultradot.asp

'Facts and Figures About Dot Sights' by John Dreyer -

www.bullseyepistol.com/dotsight.htm

eerw
September 26, 2005, 10:52 AM
John..

thanks for that last link..good info..

HSMITH
September 26, 2005, 09:34 PM
eerw, have you played action games with a Doctor sight?

I like the tiny size, and the ability to really mount it down low on the slide at almost iron level.

Never used one, but they seem like a good choice.......

eerw
September 27, 2005, 02:25 PM
Haven't played with one for any extended period of time..have experimented with a Optima...have heard the Doctor is a little better...

I am hoping this winter to get some free time to gear up gun with one to try it out..

from people I have talked to they like them a lot.

HSMITH
September 27, 2005, 08:49 PM
OK thanks. If you do get a chance and happen to remember I would appreciate hearing your opinion on the Doctor.

Lycanthrope
September 27, 2005, 10:38 PM
I like the Doctor but you need a good port/comp job to keep the dot in the screen in recoil.

sdb777
October 11, 2005, 07:38 PM
C-More......enough said!!!