PDA

View Full Version : 270 win,7mm Rem Mag,30-06,300 Win Mag. Which one?

cmd17uc
September 25, 2005, 12:31 AM
After hours upon hours of reading these forums and some others, I've decided on the remmington model 710.

This rifle will be solely for target/precision shooting, not hunting.

The only question left is which round to get? I'm looking for something that will shoot 100-300 yards without too much drop, but I want to be able to shoot more than 20 rounds without my shoulder falling off.

Also, I don't want to be taking out a small loan every time I decide to hit the range.

Any help, recomendations, reading materials, or general input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave Haven
September 25, 2005, 12:57 AM
Of the four you mentioned...
For lowest ammunition cost and least recoil, .270 or .30-'06.
Accuracy will be comparable for all of them.

Garand Guy
September 25, 2005, 12:59 AM
I vote for the 270 or the 30-06. I have a Garand and 710 in 270. Recoil is about the same with both. Of the calibers you listed, I would say these are the lightest for recoil.

If you go with the 270, try the Hornady 130SST, 140SST, or 150SST (Super Shock Tip). They have a very high ballistic coefficient and the accuracy is incredible. If you are concentrating on 100 yd shooting, add the Hornady 110 V-max in there.

For the 30-06 ...well ... just pick a weight between 150 and 200 grains and someone makes a match grade bullet in there somewhere. There is also a ton of military ammo out there that is basically dirt cheap.

For the basic bathroom reader, pick up a loading manual and start reading. You can learn quite a bit from them. Personally, I recommend the Hornady manuals. Two volume set: One volume is loading information, the other is ballistic info. If you are not a reloader, you might want to start. Shooting only factory ammo is a good way to go broke (unless you are a professional embezzler, bookie, or hold the patent on the transister).

Good Luck!
GG

Wildalaska
September 25, 2005, 01:22 AM
You are not gonna be happy with a rem 710, please reconsider

Wildgeta700Alaska

Garand Guy
September 25, 2005, 01:30 AM
What do you base your opinion of the 710 on? Do you have one? Have you even shot one? Mine is capable of one hole groups at 100 yds.

270Win
September 25, 2005, 02:27 AM
Here is another vote for 270 Win... I seem to be spreading my recommendations of this caliber over quite a few posts lately.

Very flat trajectory, very moderate recoil, very accurate to boot. I handload to gain as much control as possible over my rounds, and get very high levels of precision. From 100-400 you should get high levels of precision.

gak
September 25, 2005, 02:52 AM
Of the ones mentioned, I second (third?) the vote for .270. but since you say just target shooting, I wonder why these and not the .308 in the first place? - which not only excels particularly at the function you describe but also lower recoil (than the 7mm Mag and above at least), shorter action, lower weight and cheaper ammo (options)...and this coming from a major .270 fan (esp for hunting however).

joshua
September 25, 2005, 07:30 AM
I'm a die hard .270 fan and with my Mark X glass bedded to a B&C fiberglass stock it shoots .5 moa with 100 grain Sierra bullets, it's unbelievable and the recoil is not that much punishing, the only drawback is the barrel is on the thin side and when it heats up the groups go sour to 1.5" moa. With all that I said praising the .270 Win I will have to agree with Gak and vouch for the 308 Winchester, 7-08 or .260 Rem due to much milder recoil, the cartridges mentioned will reach up to 800-1000 yards depending on what bullet you're using and cheaper to load because of the lesser powder used. I shoot a Remington PSS in 308 and it is one superb shooter with features of heavy barrel, varmint/tactical style stock with aluminum bedding block for the price I paid for I'm happy.

I will also agree with WildAlaska with his advice on not getting a 710 most of the folks shooting them say the rifle will suffice, but they also mentioned saving up a bit more and go one step up and should've have just bought a 700 ADL or Savage. The reason is once the 700's or Savage's barrel is shot out they can have a new better barrel intalled. The 710 I believe uses a different method of barrel installation instead of the traditional threads machined on the receiver and barrel. Being a bargain type of rifle offering more features than the regular models, the cost cutting is hidden with the parts and assembly. With the reviews on Savages being accurate out of the box and the new trigger feature of able to be adjusted to target grade level you just can't go wrong with them.

If you're going shoot target @ 100-300 yards the 243 Win is another great choice. the bullets are cheaper and the availability of target grade bullets are much wider than the .270 - The biggest plus with it is it won't kill your shoulder even if you shoot 100 rounds in one day. There just aren't too many .270 match grade bullets out there. Like I said I love the .270 but more for hunting instead of target shooting. josh

Mannlicher
September 25, 2005, 08:36 AM
cmd17uc says" After hours upon hours of reading these forums and some others, I've decided on the remmington model 710.

This rifle will be solely for target/precision shooting, not hunting."

First off, we have obviously been reading different threads on this rifle. Most I have seen pan the offering from Remington. The one example I shot at TrailGlades range was a dog. This is NOT a precision 300 yard target rifle.

Other than that, any of the calibers you mentioned are fine. They all have some noticeable recoil. Range costs can be kept down by reloading, or carefully shopping on line for your loaded ammo.

Logs
September 25, 2005, 09:13 AM
Out of the calibers you are listing I would go with the .270, ammo is a bit cheaper and it will be less wear and tear on your shoulder.

My thoughts is that you would be better with a .243 or .308, but you didn't list them... so .270.

I have a .270 and 7mm in a Remington 700 ADL. Both guns shoot very well. (Under 1 inch groups) I shot a 710 once not bad for the money, but the one I shot only did about 1.5 inch groups.

I would recommend looking at the SAVAGE with accu trigger. This new trigger set up is awesome for target shooting and should run you about the same as a Remington 710.

essexcounty
September 25, 2005, 10:37 AM
But you might want to reconsider. I just know it from reputation. If past of your decision is based on initial cost get a Savage or good used M70 or Remington. They are in abundance. My caliber choice a toss up between the .270 or the 30-06. Good Shooting, Essex

ClarkEMyers
September 25, 2005, 11:04 AM
If your range is limited to 300 yard - 300 meters and your interest is exclusively group size and comfort/economy/fun then cartridges such as the .300 Win Mag are far from the ideal - not to knock the hunting cartridges for hunting or for targets at longer range.

Ken's right about the 710 as well - why go with OK when there are many better choices there as well.

On the other hand, flipping a coin or buying what your dealer has on hand or will deal on and getting started is better than a fruitless search for a non-existent ideal.

308LAW
September 25, 2005, 11:15 AM
if you want a cheap target rifle to shoot cheap, go with a Stevens 200 in a 223, no recoil and very cheap ammo, and will out shoot a 710 for less money. The 243 or 308 would also be good choices but more recoil and not as cheap to shoot. Plus if you decide to upgrade later the rifle can be rebarreled and restocked yourself to a really good shooter.

Art Eatman
September 25, 2005, 11:20 AM
From gun tests and ocmments from users: The 710 is fine for those who do not shoot a large number of rounds per year. The typical deer hunter who sights in, shoots his deer, and then puts the gun away for next season seems to be the intended market.

Accuracy, in the generally one MOA range, is not a problem.

The design and assembly of the 710 don't seem to be of a style where it can become an heirloom critter, capable of good use into the next generation.

Sure, the package price for the 710 makes it attractive. The old rule of "You get what you pay for." is still with us, however.

None of the listed cartridges make for pleasant range sessions with numerous strings of shots. I've been shooting the .30-'06 for over fifty years, and I'm not particularly sensitive to recoil. It's not uncommon for me to be very happy to quit, after only a couple of boxes of ammo...

From the standpoint of a long-term, overall effort at tight groups and lots of benchrest shooting time (not competition), I'd go with a quality rifle in .223 and take up reloading. Tweak and tune the rifle, custom tailor the ammo, and spend lots of time testing the package of you, the rifle and the ammo.

:), Art

Art

impact
September 25, 2005, 11:24 AM
270 or 30-06 and stay away from the 710. IMHO The Winchester shadow is a better gun if you want to spend less on a gun. Right now I know of two 710s sitting in a pawn shop and they can't give the guns away.

Wildalaska
September 25, 2005, 11:37 AM
What do you base your opinion of the 710 on? Do you have one? Have you even shot one? Mine is capable of one hole groups at 100 yds.

They are cheesy and we have sent three back this week for bad barrels.

They are a crapshoot as far as quality and a poor design.

Spend the extra $1oo and get a real gun...even a *shudder* Savage is better

Enough with the one hole stuff guys, even Benchresters have trouble doing that

WildthatswhatibasemyopiniononplusthedozenorsowehavesentbackthisyeartooAlaska

Toney
September 25, 2005, 11:40 AM
06 has the most bullets to choose from . 270 bullets dont work in the woods
The 7mm mag really untill you pass the 300 yard mark and even then it is only about 4" . You know hard recoil will either make you a flincher or if you overcome will emprove all your shooting . Myself shooting all the turk 8mm makes my deer rifle as easy to shoot as a 22 .

Harley Quinn
September 25, 2005, 11:55 AM
Is better for you. Good case for reloading and since you did not list the smaller but better caliber for your shooting targets I thought I would add it.

LOG is recommending the 243, I would say that is good, but the 6 mm case is better for reloading and so I go for that one. Shooting paper is a reloaders dream and of course (Hunting) also but you have to shoot paper etc. to get the accuracy down with your reload and stick with it to see how it does.

Part of the shooting scene is to get the best out of something and be pleased with the results. Bagging the game with one shot kills is one way, shooting 1/2 " groups at 100 Yds is another. 22-250 for that one also.

6mm good choice I feel. 6.5 if you are going for the longer distance. Proven results and less recoil. All a plus when you are laying in the sun on your belly like a reptile.

MOA is a good goal at 100 yds but to do that you need.. a)good rifle b)good scope and a good round. Not less is your own ability. Cheap! LOL... If you are happy with 2" groups, other wise forget cheap. An old 788 Remington in the 6 mm....

Harley
Expert shooter
Semper Fi
LOL

maximuss
September 25, 2005, 02:35 PM
If you are shooting for target and not for hunting, have you thought about .223 or .243?

My answer to your question is .270 win, otherwise.

cansniper
September 25, 2005, 06:39 PM
Get a remington 700 in.308, you will be happy. ;)

Picher
September 26, 2005, 06:03 AM
If you're lucky enough to get a 710 that shoots, remember that centerfire barrels may only last for 2,000 rounds for precision shooting. (For hunting accuracy, they would probably last a lifetime.) That said, the 710 barrel has the locking lugs built in, so barrels are not easily replaceable.

I love the .270 Win. and mine shoots well, but there aren't any target bullets available. I handload 90 grain Sierra HPs for accuracy and they're good, but not as good as 168 grain match bullets.

If you're going to be shooting a lot, I'd advise against the 710 and recommend even a used, blued model in .308 Win. The action will take a lot of shooting and barrels can be easily replaced by a gunsmith.

Picher

308LAW
September 26, 2005, 10:52 AM
What do you base your opinion of the 710 on? Do you have one? Have you even shot one? Mine is capable of one hole groups at 100 yds
1 shot 1 hole groups, thats real impressive.

Pointer
September 26, 2005, 01:29 PM
When in doubt...

You can't go wrong with the 30-06. :)

leadcounsel
September 26, 2005, 01:40 PM
http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2d.rifles.htm

great articles to help you decide.

User Name
September 26, 2005, 07:41 PM
For calibur selection I'm biased...I've shot 30-06 all my life and see no reason to change. The main reason I responded was to help Alaska and others persuade you to spend the extra bucks for a decent rifle.
I've not only been an 06 fan all my life but a die hard Remington man, and the 710 was a huge disapointment...the idea of an out of the box hunting rifle sounds cool, and like mentioned by Art it does fit a nich. I just think it was a bad move for Remington to lower their quality to get into that nich.
So do your self a favour, stop by Walmart and cycle the action on a 700 and then a 710.
They claim the actions are the same but I think (and this is pure speculation...I'm far from a smith) but I think the cheap ass stock may make it lose a little of the integrity...you'll see what I mean when you cycle each together.
I love the 700 and the remington action ranks right up there with the mauser in my book (which is a debate for another thread so please refrain from trying to sway me folks and lets stick to this guys thread).
You'll be much happier in the long run to buy a good quality used 700 if cost is an issue, and as far as caliber goes, a 22-250, .223, even a 22mag may fit your bill a little better.
Best of luck no matter what you choose, and happy shooting! ;)

hivel37
September 27, 2005, 03:15 PM
Hear! Hear! Listen to User Name.
A second-hand 700 in triple duece or .223 is the ticket.
If you're gonna reload go .222 Rem.
If not, .223's are dirt cheap.
Both are fun and accurate as all-get-out.

branham91
September 27, 2005, 08:31 PM
You left out the best one .308

CPLMIKE
September 27, 2005, 09:39 PM
I'm a very strong Remington fan, however the 710 was Remingtons blunder of recent history. I have several model 700 BDL'S, MODEL 7'S and even a couple ADL'S. Most all of my rifles have been worked over with new barrels, action jobs, trigger jobs etc. The 710 really can't be worked over. You can go to a local chain store and by a Renington ADL for the same price. The 30-06 is a great choice, I'm a fan of 30 caliber bullets because of the choices. If you can get one in a 308 that would a great one to.

semper fi

TPAW
September 28, 2005, 09:51 PM
You can't go wrong with the 30-06.

I agree. I believe it's the most versitile cartridge for target or hunting. From rabbits to elk. Perhaps even larger game? I'm not an expert, but a friend is a game warden in Maine and he has taken down everything that walks the earth up there with his Win Mod 70 in 30.06. From small to big game.
That's enough convincing for me!

T-65
September 28, 2005, 11:11 PM
In my opinion you should consider the 25.06 Rem. This cal. gets the job done on everything. Bench, target, varmits, and medium game. I would take some time and read up on all ballistics, and reloading manuals . Any centerfire bolt action rifle in the hands of a rifleman that has practiced his trade is gonna be accurate .

TPAW
September 29, 2005, 02:16 PM
In my opinion you should consider the 25.06 Rem.

Might be hard to find in local gun stores, not sure? :confused:
30.06 will always be on the shelf. ;)

Pointer
October 2, 2005, 03:29 AM
Solely for target and NEVER for hunting????

.308 bull-barrelled, single-shot target rifle.

Winchester or Remington

Have fun :D