PDA

View Full Version : Leather or plastic?

Waterdog
June 10, 2000, 08:58 PM
I prefer leather, those plastic holsters just don't have the same feel as leather
and most don't have a strap to retain weapon.

Waterdog

Schmit
June 10, 2000, 10:09 PM
Aaaa but Waterdog... each has their application (gawd... I don't believe I typed that! Hope Scott doesn't see this).

I love leather just as much as the next guy (hey... ever open a package from Mitch Rosen?!? HEAVEN for both sight and smell!) but there are some applications where plastic works better.

I would think being a waterdog you could guess one such application... wet environments.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

CrociJA
June 10, 2000, 11:36 PM
Living in FL., perspiration comes to mind. Hey I love my leather holster as much as the next guy (I even have the glycerin soap to prove it! ;)), but in a state that gets hot and humid an IWB holster from Blade Tech can come in mighty handy.
I have also been known to use a UM-84 holster for my G-21, its nylon AND plastic and does an excellent job of protecting the gun when I'm going through thick brush, and rolling down dirt piles, etc...
To each his own, every firearm holster has its own particular application...Even tried that DeSantis "psuedo leather" in a black shoulder holster. Comfortable to wear, but DAMN are those magazine pouches hard to break in! Feels like I have to use a pair of vice grips to pull the magazines out!

Jon

funinsun
June 11, 2000, 07:48 PM
Second the FL heat and also the great smell/appearance when you open the Rosen box,you almost don't wanna use the holster. Got blade-tech but feel its thick. Ordered a VM2 the other day cuz of the great design , but I am gonna have to protect the leather somehow.

Scott Evans
June 12, 2000, 08:43 AM
Not all plastics are equal for the task of holstering a firearm. Kydex (PVC) or similar material is the best to date in my opinion. Some of the ABS plastic holsters while waterproof and adequately strong lack the reactive qualities that round out a good synthetic rig (i.e. snap and pop fit). The right fit with the proper material allows for secure retention that breaks clean and fast on the draw. For me personally, I don’t like the long drag some leather holsters place on the weapon the entire way out. Also, leather tends to add a bit more bulk to some rigs and as stated above they are venerable to moisture.

For me I have not used any of my leather rigs for several years as I am sold out on what looks to me to be all around superior performance, of the better quality Kydex holsters. There are a few reputable makers of quality Kydex rigs that frequent TFL; I’m sure the members won’t steer you wrong with regard to where you can go to find one.

I do agree with Schmit, however, that a new out of the box leather holster smells great. I’m thinking of hanging one from the rear view mirror of my truck so that I can continue to enjoy its heavenly fragrance. :D :D

Seriously though, nothing wrong, in my opinion, with a quality leather rig.

In what ever you decide go with quality as leather or Kydex or any other material can not make up for the shortcomings of an improperly designed or crafted rig.

------------------
“This is my rifle, there many like it but this one is mine …”

Matt VDW
June 12, 2000, 10:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Some of the ABS plastic holsters while waterproof and adequately strong lack the reactive qualities that round out a good synthetic rig (i.e. snap and pop fit). [/quote]

Is ABS the type of plastic used in the Fobus line of holsters?

Ledbetter
June 12, 2000, 12:43 PM
FWIW, I'm real happy with my Safariland 560 that I bought after getting a recommendation on this forum. It's made of leather, Kydex and "pseudo-suede," which lines the holster for scratch protection. Best of all worlds, IMHO.

Ledbetter

Billy Sparks
June 12, 2000, 01:24 PM
Milt Sparks has one holster that has a moisture barrier in it.

Noban
June 13, 2000, 08:06 PM
Ledbetter - Did you find your Safariland in a local shop? I'm looking for a holster for my Colt Officer's.

Thanks, Noban

Ledbetter
June 14, 2000, 02:04 PM
I ordered it online at MidwayUSA.com.

Ledbetter
June 14, 2000, 02:04 PM
I ordered it online at MidwayUSA.com.

4M Cattle Co
June 27, 2000, 07:52 PM
Ya'll check out springbokinc.com. No retention problems, & all sorts of applications.