PDA

View Full Version : New P-64, grips and accesories? General feeling?

erehwesle
September 20, 2005, 06:30 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and finally bought my first automatic, which I eventually (have to get that CCW) am going to use for a carry gun.

I am on a budget so I was choosing between the Bulgarian Makarov and the P-64. Got a great price on the P-64 (9x18 Mak) this weekend at the gun show, and after firing it this weekend on the range, was quite happy with it despite the well-known hard double action trigger pull. After cleaning it well and lubing it, I'm finding the trigger pull is much better dry firing. Can't wait to shoot it next weekend.

I like the gun, the fit and finish is excellent. It has a nice kick when I shoot it, and I feel like I did well with it (in single action) at the range.

I don't love the grips, though.

I know almost nobody makes accessories for the P-64, but anyone know of replacement grips? I'd like to get a nice looking wood grip with finger grooves that would set up my hand a little better than the stock, and look nicer.

What do you think?

BTW, the guy next to me on the range had the Bulgarian Makarov, which he let me trade with for a mag or so, as we were both firing 9X18 Mak, and though it be blasphemy I think I, aside from double action, like the P-64 better. It does, though, snap a bit on shooting! I was glad I've been firing .45 LC recently.

It also fits my uncle mike's sidekick IWB holster, that was always too small for my wheelguns, and I bought by accident and on sale, perfectly.

Any advice is welcome on places to get accessories. I've also heard of people replacing the hammer spring in the P-64 and easing the DA pull. I'd have my gunsmith do it, but any advice here is welcome as well.

HighValleyRanch
September 20, 2005, 08:46 PM
There's a guy that goes by Hakan that makes grips for the CZ and Makarov.

Do a google search on Hakan grips, and you can find out about him.
Don't know anything about your p64, but that's as close as I can think of.
Maybe he would do them?

kirkcdl
September 20, 2005, 09:33 PM
I had the same problem with my Para Carry.What I did was to find(by accident)a local shop that makes exotic wood stuff.By stuff I mean pen/pencil holders for a desktop,clocks,general household and office accessories.I took him the factory grips,and after explaining the importance of him NOT damaging the original grips in the process,asked him if he could make me some smooth grips to replace the checkered factory grips.10 bucks and a week later,I had a set of grips for my Para.I had to do a little "fitting",but it works.You might try something like that if you run out of options,good luck...

erehwesle
September 21, 2005, 01:40 AM
One nice thing about the P-64, the scales come off with a single screw, should be easy to make. I have thought about just having them done custom by a woodworker I know.

HighValley, I'll look into the Haken guy as well.

Thanks for the input, it, other than the grips, is a good little gun, I'd like to see my P-64 dressed up a bit!

E-wh.

saands
September 21, 2005, 08:49 PM
Glad to hear that you are happy with your acquisition! I don't know of any aftermarket grips ... yet! I was thinking that some softish rubber grips might ease the recoil a bit, but I haven't gotten around to making myself a set. I gather that you have read my posts on the springs ... they are actually VERY easy to replace, but if you feel better about having a smith do it, that's perfectly understandable.

Please let us know if you are able to get a set of grips made ... and keep in mind that there might be others inclined to get them if it helps negotiate the price a little :)

Saands