PDA

View Full Version : CHIP McCORMICK or ED BROWN

roger-ruger
September 18, 2005, 05:32 AM
Planning to put in some aftermarket BEAVER TAIL SAFETY GRIP and THUMB/SAFETY SLIDE STOP on my newly arrived MILSPEC NORC GOVT. MODEL but cant decide what brand to buy. Have noticed though that ED BROWN PRODS., are 3 x more expensive than the CMC PRODUCTS here in RP. Any thoughts on the CMC will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

HSMITH
September 18, 2005, 06:47 AM
The hand position is about the same. Both require extensive grinding of the frame to fit well. The EB is a little nicer in my opinion but not anywhere near 3x nicer. The last one I used was a CMC and I like it a lot. On a Nork I would use the CMC.

XavierBreath
September 18, 2005, 07:05 AM
I really like the Ed Brown products. They are about all I will use on my Colts. The MSH is especially nice, but do you ever pay for that! I prefer Brown's grip and thumb safeties.

I have used CMC products on other 1911s and they are holding up fine. They are a good value for the money. I prefer Chip's trigger to any other, and it usually goes in my guns.

IMHO the CMC product is worth a little more than what you pay. The Brown is worth a little less.

To me, a Norinco is a nice gun, and I would not think Brown products were going to waste in it. I can also see the argument in using CMC parts.

Harry Bonar
September 19, 2005, 07:29 PM
Dear Shooter:
I use the Ed Brown due to the set-up on my rotary table. However you don't need a rotary table! You can buy the little hardenrd tool for Wilson or Ed Brown!
You can file the grip down till you hit the hardened stop and then use a cato marker and work them down to a far-thee-well!
You can do it!
There are other grip safeties and you can tell the difference in that if the part says it's a .250 radius you can use the Ed Brown tool, of not the Wilson - BOTH ARE FINE BEAVERTAIL GRIP SAFETIES - as are many others.
Be careful to look closely at the rear of slide with the installation tools to be sure you don't need to weld up the projections (rare for me).
Good smithing!
Harry B.