PDA

View Full Version : why are they so high?

redranger1
September 6, 2005, 04:55 PM
im talking about the older redfield scopes that where made in the states. i have a 1976 year ruger 220 swift and ive been lookin to put an older 4-12 or 6-18 redfield on it as it would fit the vintage of my gun but they all sell so high. are they that good of a scope or what? i am lookin fer function aswell also and i want a goos scope. would i be better of spending that much money on a new leupold er burris er something else? thanks guys.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
September 6, 2005, 05:55 PM
Get a new one----scopes do wear out----glass gets scratched ----etc......

Plus you get a warranty with a new one-----even if Bushnell honors a Redfield warranty claim----you won't get near the same product as the old Redfield.

bergie
September 6, 2005, 10:04 PM
They were very good scopes in their day, but do not compare to what is available today. The advances in lens coatings and even in lens material do so much to brighten and improve clarity that even a top of the line scope from 25 years ago can't really compete with a mid price range scope today. That said though, the lenses in a lot of the better old scopes really were incredible, they had to be good because they didn't have the coatings that we have now.
I really think that you would be better off getting a new scope, high prices on older scopes are really just a matter of collectors driving the prices up rather than a comparison of their worth to new.

bergie

Mike Hull
September 7, 2005, 12:39 PM
The newer Redfields are made in China, so I guess that made the USA versions instant "collectors" items. :rolleyes:

Sightron, Nikon, Burris all make excellent scopes in a reachable price range, and have great optics. The Sightron carries a lifetime(of the scope, no matter how many have owned it)warranty. Hard to beat that.

redranger1
September 7, 2005, 07:09 PM
thanks fer the input fellas. i think ill still keep my eyes open fer one at a bargain price but im not gonna spend much on it. now ill begin my search and savings fer a good one.