PDA

View Full Version : Why assault rifle

Clayfish
September 2, 2005, 03:16 PM
As I look around and post here at TFL I really enjoy the ability to talk with other firearms enthueist. I have however noticed a trend that is quite disturbing. Alot of members refer to certain weapons as "assault weapons". This term is accually a liberal invention to evilize certain features on weapons. Many people have bought into these lies and it seams to have happened in the firearms community as well. Each and every firearm we all own serves a purpose and is a usefull tool. Labeling a firearm with certain features an assault rifle is like labeling a truck with a grille guard an assault truck because it can now drive through walls without damaging the truck. Or saying a fork is an assault fork if it's tines are more than 2'' long. Please keep this in mind. The liberals are not trying to take our guns all at once but to brain wash the general public into believing that certain weapons are evil and child killers then once they have succeded they will pick another target like semiautos in general. Keep your guard up please.

MTMilitiaman
September 2, 2005, 03:27 PM
Assault rifle is a legitimate term coined by the people who invented the things.

Assault weapon is a liberal invention but I usually put it in " " to denote my skeptism of the term or simply use it in a blatantly sarcastic manner. More often than not I refer to my WASR as a semi-automatic carbine, Kalasnikov, or AK clone.

Russ538
September 2, 2005, 04:20 PM
Assault weapon was a term created by the left, but assault rifle came from the creators.

"Primarily in the United States, the term assault weapon is an arbitrary, confusing, and ambiguous term used to describe a collection of semi-automatic firearms that have certain features, such as a folding stock or the ability to accept a detachable magazine of a capacity larger than ten rounds. It has been used primarily in relation to a specific expired gun law that was commonly known as the 'Assault Weapons Ban', 'Clinton gun ban', or '1994 crime bill'."

About Assault Rifle:
"The name is a literal translation of the German term Sturmgewehr, first applied to the Sturmgewehr 44 developed during WW2, and gradually became a popular term for this type of firearm. The term has since been retro-actively applied to earlier weapons with similar traits."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

Bravo25
September 2, 2005, 05:25 PM
I considered my AR10 an assault rifle because it was built on a platform copied from the M16, a battle weapon. It has large capacity box magazines, and was intended to repel, or commit assaults on groups of people. The fact that I used my for a different reason doesn't change it's original purpose.

alan
September 2, 2005, 05:45 PM
Once upon a time, I came upon the following definition for/of the genre. I note for general interest, that this definition is what one often came upon if they looked at standard reference texts dealing with small arms. It even appeared at www.britannica.com

ASSAULT WEAPON: SELECTIVE FIRE WEAPON, USUALLY OF RIFLE CONFIGURATION, CHAMBERED FOR AN INTERMEDIATE POWER CARTRIDGE. Anything difficult to understand about that? I didn't think so.

As to other aspects of this particular word game, a while back I had a discussion with the news director at WDUQ FM, in Pittsburgh, PA. I had criticized the station for it's technical sloppiness, it's semantic sloppiness reagrding firearms and the buzz word "assault weapon".

He allowed that there was something in what I said, but offered that the term had become part of the vernacular. I said that I would accept this, however I still maintained that media, which he was a representative of, was to blame for this situation.

I also mentioned that other terms that used to be "part of the vernacular" were no longer used in polite conversation, [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] being an example of such. For some reason, he became much upset at my mention of this. I wondered as to whether he understood how and why I was similarly upset at media's misuse of terminology? Unfortunately, I never found out.

BUSTER51
September 2, 2005, 06:04 PM
seams to me at one time a club,than a sword,than a bow and arrow ,than a musket ,than so on and so on would have been the "assault weapon of there day.there will always be antigun morons and they will know what is best for the rest of us. call a spade a spade ,not any more you might offend someone.

Jseime
September 2, 2005, 06:08 PM
I know that the term assult rifle came from the creators but we should launch a campaign to have the name changed.
Lets go with only calling a rifle an assult rifle if it is used to assult and everything else should just be called a rifle.

Limeyfellow
September 2, 2005, 08:40 PM
Lets go with only calling a rifle an assult rifle if it is used to assult and everything else should just be called a rifle.

So that means any rifle someone used in an assault would be an assault rifle so that could make any rifle an assault rifle and cause even more confusion.

Big Ruger
September 2, 2005, 10:37 PM
would you prefer MAIN BATTLE RIFLE? Thats what they are.

joshua
September 3, 2005, 07:34 AM
Why do we even entertain the liberals that refers to our large capacity semi-automatic rifles as "assault weapons"? Any rifle can be used to assault a group of people, let's not even let the antis refer to our bolt action sporting rifles as "sniper rifles" or "precision tactical rifles". We should start calling them "defensive tools" and not let them be assossiated with offensive type of weapons. How about high capacity tool for the semi auto rifles, long tool for bolt action rifles, short tool for a hand gun, etc... josh

Eightball
September 3, 2005, 07:38 AM
Assault rifle is a legitimate term coined by the people who invented the things.Yep indeedy. That's the only time I marry the term "assault" with any kind of firearm, period. It's hard to "educate" people on the difference between assault rifles and SMG's sometime (much to my chagrin), but it's fun to confuse them when I throw the term "battle rifle" in there :D .

Webleymkv
September 3, 2005, 09:55 PM
While I believe any rifle could be used for an assault and therefore be an assault rifle, I only use the term for a specific genre of weapons so that those less intelectual than myself can still understand me. I'm just so brilliant and humble to boot :D

bluduk15
September 4, 2005, 02:39 AM
"Evilize." Aren't you the one who's making up words?

bd

;)

September 4, 2005, 04:31 AM
ebr :eek: :p ;)

aspen1964
September 4, 2005, 11:33 AM
....a gun is as good or bad as the man who uses it...remember that....
Shane...1953

TangoTracker
September 5, 2005, 11:17 PM
Call 'em what you will.

http://storage.msn.com/x1pbglk-vqL4Bt1yxFTd4LVLzVFBy4JGei34LwiNzP27cEJQEUWqHmi4MG_FXvKF9W4oHlTRJniVsRP0NuAzcesjwVtBZsHeOZ2dLJkKAjZc3ZTc3At1S6bMnKGrBkwCqz5kT1EuIkAMNNGIQpFUHEsPA

http://storage.msn.com/x1pbglk-vqL4Bt1yxFTd4LVLzVFBy4JGei34LwiNzP27cEx9nXOgVq72h60-mkjUmRYwGjhNK5kjULBiYfph0PEWIjkq7Ndtn6PIeyI3DPY9Lqs2cnjwGNzOwmTzEQFL2rJNZiE2wiEoME8uSHdt7mVpQ

jtv3062
September 6, 2005, 04:56 PM
ar-10 to ar-15 or ar-15 to ar-10? ar-10 went up aganist the t 44 and the fn fal. these rifles are considered battle rifles ar-15(m-16) ak 47 ak74 are considered assult rifles intermidete ranged selected fired rifle

CaptainRazor
September 6, 2005, 06:33 PM
I prefer to call mine a "Homeland Defense Rifle" or "HDR".
How could any patriotic American argue against that? :D

Drunk Fat Man
September 6, 2005, 08:39 PM
As long as you keep calling them rifles and not "guns"