PDA

View Full Version : Advice For Optics and/or Mounting Solution for custom Mini-14 Needed

jcoleman
March 24, 2000, 08:41 PM
My thanks to all of you who have taken time out of your day to help me with my particular situation.

I've been customizing an old Mini-14 that my father has had in his closet for over a decade. Here's the list of modifications made so far:

- Choate Pistol Grip Stock
- Harris Bi-Pod
- Aimtech Hand Guard replacement with Picatinny rail mount on dorsal surface
- JP Enterprises Recoil Eliminator Muzzle Break
- Leupold Vari-X III 2.5x8-30mm (I think that's right)
- Buffer Technologies Frame Buffer

The problem that I have is this: Using the Picatinny Rail to mount the scope in a Scout-like configuration leaves the scope too far forward to provide proper eye relief for me.

I tried the B-Square scope mount, but it mounts the scope too high for the comb of the pistol-grip stock. I'm not able to rest my cheek, only my chin.

I think extension rings might help move the scope back further towards my eye, but I'm not sure which ones to get. What are a couple of brand names that make high-quality rings of this type?

Another somewhat related question is this: I'm looking into buying a red dot scope with magnification and plenty of eye relief. I don't want to spend over $400 unless I really should to get the best value and quality. I've been looking at Aimpoint, and some others, but I know very little when it comes to scopes.

------------------
Thank you for your time,

John Coleman