PDA

View Full Version : LH Savage 110 .270 project completed

riddleofsteel
August 30, 2005, 08:27 PM
Some time ago I was posting about a LH Savage 110 in .270 that I was working on. In the last steps of mounting the scope base I broke off a base screw in the receiver. I drilled a hole in the sheared off screw and tried to back it out with an E-Z Out. The E-Z Out broke off in the process! I was forced at that point to take the rifle to my local gunsmith. He was unable to remove the screw/E-Z Out combo so he drilled and tapped new holes in the receiver and mounted my scope. While it was in the the shop he also checked the rifle over and made some adjustments to my bedding.
This afternoon I fired about a dozen, five shot, sub-inch groups with a variety of factory ammo I had on the shelf. This included 130 grain Remington Core-Lokt, 150 grain Winchester Power Point, 130 grain Hornady Custom Interlock, 130 grain Federal Classic and a handload using 140 grain BTSP Hornady Interlock bullets over H4831. During this session no goups were over 1 inch at 100 yards except for a couple of called flyers (my fault).

I was well pleased with the results of this project and I am glad I chose a Savage to base my efforts on. This will be my primary deer rifle this fall using a 130 or 140 grain SP or SPBT bullet. My son and I plan to hunt feral hogs in South Carolina this October and I am in the process of working up a 150 grain load for that purpose.

So far I have converted a LH, wood stock, detachable mag .270 110 to;

Internal blind mag
Stockade Money Saver stock with custom cammo
metal trigger guard
SSS Tactical bolt handle
Leupold scope base and rings
Leupold 3.5x10 50mm Vari X III scope
full action bedding
floating barrel

http://yerfrockethellhound.com/zzzzcamosavage600pix.JPG
(This is an old picture. I will get a current pic up as soon as I can take one with the new bolt handle ect.)

:D